Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Granicus
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo has worked perfectly and captured some excellent videos, including clear identification of the perpetrator, of vandalism occurring on my property.

I downloaded the videos and at the request of the police named them "Joe Bloggs Vandalism DDMMYY"

The problem is the there is no time stamp inside the downloaded files, and reading through the forum it appears that the NAME of the file is the date stamp in epoch time.

Leaving aside the craziness of having a critical part of the evidence stored as a changeable file name and not contained on the video itself I now need to somehow either find the original file name or obtain the time stamp by another means.

Can anyone recommend a way of doing this?

I would also strongly suggest to Arlo that given the nature of security cameras they should have the time and date stamp included on the actual recordings for the exact reason of time validation in the event recordings are required as evidence in court.

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Granicus,

To recover the original file name in epoch time after it has been changed you must download the video again from your library. Currently there is no time stamp on the actual recording, I encourage you to visit the Arlo Idea Exchange and post/kudo existing topics there to promote this idea.

JamesC

Granicus
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks, will do.

JamesC wrote:

Granicus,

To recover the original file name in epoch time after it has been changed you must download the video again from your library. Currently there is no time stamp on the actual recording, I encourage you to visit the Arlo Idea Exchange and post/kudo existing topics there to promote this idea.

JamesC

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

JamesC wrote:

...Currently there is no time stamp on the actual recording, ...

There certainly is a time stamp.  Here is some of the metadata from a recording I just downloaded.  the "encoded date" is within 4 seconds of the epoch time of the file name.

General
Complete name : D:\Downloads\1455070695112.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Adobe Flash
Codec ID : f4v
File size : 821 KiB
Duration : 10s 26ms
Overall bit rate : 671 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2016-02-10 02:18:19

Tagged date : UTC 2016-02-10 02:18:19

A number of freeware programs can decode the metadata of .MP4 files.  The one I use is called MediaInfo and is available from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

blushark
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can't understand why netgear has not at least made it a setting that can be enabled to embed timestamp in the video for obvious reasons. Its a no brainer. I will post this idea in the arlo idea exchange.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The timestamp is embedded but not visible.  On the suggestion of another user here, I installed MediaInfo from here:

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

It will show the embedded info in UTC format.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation