Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Sleep Mode preserve battery life?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
wjlandryjr
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm very interested in this product. I like to have as minimal wires as possible in the house. Can this product be setup to stay in "sleep mode" and only activate by smartphone to check in on the house from time to time like a babysitting event? Also will it be able to go back to sleep mode after I'm done checking in?
4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

wjlandryjr wrote:
I'm very interested in this product. I like to have as minimal wires as possible in the house. Can this product be setup to stay in "sleep mode" and only activate by smartphone to check in on the house from time to time like a babysitting event? Also will it be able to go back to sleep mode after I'm done checking in?

The cameras are normally in a "sleep" mode to preserve batteries... The camera comes awake when 1) motion is detected (motion detect is adjustable)                2) manually turned on to live view.

Both can be done remotely via phone,tablet,pc.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
wjlandryjr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for the reply. This did answer my question particularly but raises another.
Is there a way to turn off motion detection as we do have kids running around and just set it on manual. Meaning just check in when we feel like it? Or is the motion detection standard and can not be override?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The program ( from a web broswer if PC  or app for IOS and Android ) comes with two default MODES. 1) ALL CAMERAS MOTION ON    2) ALL CAMERAS OFF.

Also the prgms have a scheduler to set on/off times for the days of week. ( tho I find mostly a pain to use as I'm not on a sched )

So when the kids are home, you have the Motion Detect  turned off... If you all leave you turn Motion Detect on ( i walk out and turn the motion for all on from my phone)... you can still log in manually and live view any of the cameras you have up to 5 at the same time. When viewing live you can take picture snap shot or video.

Motion Detect recording will record videos automaticly if motion occurs for the time picked in the RULES for that camera ( 10 sec to 2 mins max ), you will also get an email that there was motion and link to a clip ( or log in to view ).

Now if you got all that, you can add more MODES ( say you have 2 cams inside and 2 outside, modes can be made to have ALL ON, ALL OFF, INSIDE ON only, OUTSIDE ON only... )

Remeber tho, this system is not meant to be a 24/7 video system... Spec use for 4 months batteries life is 4 mins per day with optimized video setting. It work fine for me , YMMV.

Morse is faster than texting!
ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

This system can be as complicated as you want to make it.  I do think the scheduling of modes is designed for people on schedules. Most of us are not that patterned. I currently have a wired system around my home. The Arlo is for inside.  I set the motion on and off when I travel. With push notifications and emails I consider it to be a adjunct to the wired system. The wired system (for outside view) is set to record continuously and the Arlo captures motion.  The Arlo alerts are quicker to alert me of motion even though I have a monitored home alarm system. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there ways to use your system that fits your schedule and movements and minimize battery drain.  So, I have had the original batteries in my 4 cameras for 2 months and two show 3 bars and 2 cameras show 2 bars. During one period the cameras were on for 21 days straight and I would monitor them for 3-4 times a day from my phone.  Needless to say batteries have not been an issue in my case.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation