Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Roadmap and current features

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
danioj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello All,

It has been a long time since I have purchased a Netgear product. I was a happy past owner of a router or two and a NV+ Readynas back in the day. Since then, Netgear really hasn't released anything that I couldnt build myself or find a better product for. Until now.

The Arlo range looks great. However, I have a few questions that I hope other people can answer for me:

- Does the arlo range integrate with AppleKit?

- What is the current security model around access (hopefully there is 2 factor authentication and decent encryption) and perhaps integration with online access control methods (e.g. Google etc)?

- Is there a plan to extend the range to include other home products (not so important if there is AppleKit integration) such as door bell / video, lighting etc

- Can I use my home NAS as a storage option over network?

- Is the product reasonably well maintained (e.g. patches etc for identified security flaws)?

- What is the published lifespan of the product (to give indication of LTS)?

Thanks for your time!

Daniel

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

- Does the arlo range integrate with AppleKit?

Not yet.

- What is the current security model around access (hopefully there is 2 factor authentication and decent encryption) and perhaps integration with online access control methods (e.g. Google etc)?

Access control is based soley on Netgear authentication, no 2 factor.  No other access control is provided.

- Is there a plan to extend the range to include other home products (not so important if there is AppleKit integration) such as door bell / video, lighting etc

There is some integration through IFTTT and SmartThings.  Others may be in the works.  Check out https://community.netgear.com/t5/Partner-Integrations/bd-p/en-arlo-partner-integrations

- Can I use my home NAS as a storage option over network?

No.  There are some local storage option using the wireless Pro base and Q Plus camera but neither can be accessed as a NAS.  The only way a NAS could be used would be if it can plug into a Pro base as if it were just a USB drive.  I don't know of any that do this.

- Is the product reasonably well maintained (e.g. patches etc for identified security flaws)?

There are fairly frequent updates for all devices.  Exactly what's fixed in them is usually unannounced.

- What is the published lifespan of the product (to give indication of LTS)?

I don't know that this is published anyplace.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation