Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Dood
Apprentice
Apprentice
The units will sense motion but record only for the specified amount of time (eg, factory setting of 10 seconds), rather than for the duration of the motion.

For example, if someone triggers the camera I will receive 10 seconds video of that person rather than the camera recording as long as that person keeps moving. Is there a way to change that setting so it records for the duration of sensed movement rather than time?

(To be clear, changing the duration of video will not solve this problem as someone might move around for an extended period.)
21 REPLIES 21
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope.  After the specified time for the length of recording, the only thing that will cause continuation is continued detectable motion.  Thus, you get multiple videos for one action.  Since that doesn't always give you what you might want, I've upped the length of video on one camera.  Uses more battery but I don't rely on having to redetect motion.  YMMV.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

. Is there a way to change that setting so it records for the duration of sensed movement rather than time?

No... but if a short time is selected and motion continues, the camera will restart the record time function and keeping repeating cycle till no movement.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
SuperPiski
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi!

I don't have this system yet. I'm just wondering if it meets my needs (so far the anwser is yes)

I already own a security system with external siren that send sms text and calls me if there is "somebody" at home.

The problem is that I'm blind. I need extra proof before I can call the police (Spanish law) so I want to add this cameras to my security system.

Now the situation comes as following:
.- "Somebody" breaks into my house.
.- Probably my alarm will detect the intrusion and will start sending messages and buzzing.
.- "Somebody" sees my pretty camera system.
.- "Somebody" will destroy my camera 😞

I must add that I've also have a UPS in oder to avoid electricity cuts in my internet router (and then my arlo hub)

With the fact that my camera will die, the question is: If the unit is setup to record only 5 seconds: Will I have a set of videos, all of 5 seconds long, where I can possibly see "someone" destroying my camera?

I bet that if I setup the maximum time, I won't get any video (the camera will be destroyed before the record ends and it's submitted to the hub)

Thank you for your anwsers!

P.S: Probably this is a very dumb question, but bear in mind that I don't own this system yet.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't have a definitve answer for you but I don't believe the base station buffers the video. I suspect that it streams to the Arlo servers as fast as it comes in.  If so, you shouldn't have to worry about loss of a camera since the video would already be sent.

Maybe someone (Arlo employee?) can answer this better?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

To my knowledge, the base is the processor for the video... it does not buffer , but does transfer the video in a compression format encrypted.

if the camera record anything, the video would reside on Arlo's servers ( not local ) reguardless if the system/cameras at the site  were destroyed.

SuperPiski
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your answers!

Anyway, If you have the cameras... Could you please make this test?

- Setup your Arlo in 120 seconds + motion. (I guess this is the bigger recoding time)
- Move around the camera so it will start to recording.
- Remove the camera batteries (while it's recording!).

Do you have in the "cloud" a partial video?

Thank you in advance!

SuperPiski
Aspirant
Aspirant

PLEEEEAAAASEEEE!!!

Please, Could anyone test the thing I mentioned above?  It will be very usefull knowing in advance if I will receive a partial video or if I won't receive nothing at all.

Please, please, please...S'il vous plaît, παρακαλώ, 请, bitte, por favor....

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry, I was going to test this but forgot... give me a day for your results

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

- Setup your Arlo in 120 seconds + motion. (I guess this is the bigger recoding time)
- Move around the camera so it will start to recording.
- Remove the camera batteries (while it's recording!).

Rest easy if your camera is smash, hit, run over by car, etc.

Started recording , after  20 seconds opened battery door....

Picture screen on PC froze after the lag of 1-2 seconds but record timer kept counting up till about 30 seconds when Warning on screen shows loss/timeout with camera.

Checked in library... video was there to the tune of 23 seconds long... so it recorded all that made it into the cloud system and then stopped when camera did.

PS do not try this at home kids  🙂

SuperPiski
Aspirant
Aspirant

😄  

Thank you very much!

I'm going to buy one right now!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

SuperPiski wrote:

I'm going to buy one right now!

Just go slow and the learning curve will be fairly painless !

bpg710
Guide
Guide

I know this might increase battery usage but it would be really beneficial if Netgear would allow an option in Arlo to record for the entire motion duration rather than repeat the next recording time interval. I'm assuming it would be a simple firmware upgrade. If someone was snooping around my house or stealing my car it would be nice to have the whole thing caught on camera instead of broken pieces. There could be important information lost if the lag between Arlo detecting motion again was to long. Having the option to record only when motion is detected could also help reduce battery usage. Then if a car driving by activated the motion sensor my camera might only record a few seconds of video instead of almost 2 minutes of nothing if that's the time interval I had it set to. Maybe it could happen. I'm still loving the system though.

Logzy
Aspirant
Aspirant
I agree. This would be a great option for motion detection..
Jimminy
Tutor
Tutor

That is not true in my case.  The camera records for 10 seconds and then it stops. I did several big movements in front of the camera to see if it would restart recording imediately and it did not.  So in other words I was moving continuously but after 10 seconds the recording stopped and it didn't start recording again until another 15 seconds or more have elapsed.  I moved for 2 minutes continuously in front of the camera and I only have about 40 seconds of video...  Unacceptable. Changing the recording time won't fix it because the same may happen at the end of the longer video: it won't restart 1,2 seconds later even if there's motion, but 10, 15, 20 seconds later despite the presence of motion.  You may miss the very reason you got this cameras in those 20 secs.  It may be a bad one that I got but if this is standard with this system, sorry but this is very stupid and of no use to anyone...

Zookeeper91326
Star
Star

It seems that with the recent Arlo update, I am no longer able to set the recording time!  Is there a fix?

ja121022
Aspirant
Aspirant
Actually you can change the length of the recording. I changed mine from 10 sec to 1min. Now, the Arlo Q can record straight for 14 or 30 days.
Anyways, the problem I encountered is that the camera detects movement and starts tecording after few seconds. If a perdon runs or wslk fast the camera might capture few second of the running person from the back. I coulf not adjust that. Also if there is someone with a good luck of recording without delay please let me knoe.
to get back to your question, whatever seconds that wasrecorded will be in cloud. Even if someone cuts the cable for your router the image is alreadt transfer to cloud.all you have to do us go to library and retrieve it. Hope this will clarify your question.
ja121022
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

With the original Arlo, there will always be a lag in recording since the camera has to create a connection with the server, even if the motion detection is spot on.  The new Q mitigates that by always being on (it's powered so no need to shut down to preserve batteries).  It also seems to have "pre-buffering" so you get to see a brief period prior to what caused the motion detection.  It's an indoor camera, though, so you'd need to be shooting through a window.

Dudamonster
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I was reading you response and have an added question... Once the system STOPS recording after a predetermined duration setting, how long before it starts recording again? I suspect you're going to say as soon as it detects motion, but that's not the case. I have tested this and learned that even though there's continous motion in the cameras view, it does not immediately pick up recording new video where the last video clip left off and there's a substantial gap, usually the crucial video I need.

For clarification, My signal is strong and clean. I have an extender and my cameras are relatively close to my router. Cameras set to 25 seconds, 90% motion sensitivity.

Setting my duration length to a longer duration may not correct the problem and only result in batteries draining faster. perhaps returning it back to 10 seconds, providing there's a way to shorten that gap between pauses in motion.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Dudamonster
Aspirant
Aspirant

BUT...

Once the system STOPS recording after a predetermined duration setting expires, how long before it starts recording again? I suspect you're going to say as soon as it detects motion, but that's not the case. I have tested this and learned that even though there's continous motion in the cameras view once the duration time expires, it does not immediately pick up recording new video where the last video clip left off and there's a substantial gap, usually the crucial video I need.

For clarification, My signal is strong and clean. I have an extender and my cameras are relatively close to my router. Cameras set to 25 seconds, 90% motion sensitivity.

Setting my duration length to a longer duration may not correct the problem and only result in batteries draining faster. perhaps returning it back to 10 seconds, providing there's a way to shorten that gap between video clips.

Any help would be appreciated. 

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

You are right ! on "It does not immediately pick up recording new video where the last video clip left off and there's a substantial gap, usually the crucial video I need". I missed several recording on this. That's what i called a REAL SECURITY CAMERAS....

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation