Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Range of camera

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Katen007
Follower
Follower

I have adjusted sensitivity to 100% and still the camera only kicks in at about ten feet. Is there a way of increasing the sensitivity range so that the camera kicks in on motion say 30 feet away?

secondly, can I increase the recording time from ten seconds? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Katen007 wrote:

I have adjusted sensitivity to 100% and still the camera only kicks in at about ten feet. Is there a way of increasing the sensitivity range so that the camera kicks in on motion say 30 feet away?

30 feet is a bit outside the official motion detection range. Make sure that the camera is positioned and oriented such that expected objects enter the camera's field of view (FOV) from the side, rather than head-on.

This means, for instance, that placing a camera directly above a doorway to detect people approaching the doorway should be avoided, because people would approach the camera head-on rather than enter the camera's FOV from the side. So, try to position the camera so that it gets a view from the side.

A few tricks you can try if repositioning is not possible:

• Mount the camera upside down and "invert" the image on the camera's Settings page to compensate for the upside-down image. The changed positioning and orientation of the motion sensor sometimes achieves the desired result.
  • Mount the camera sideways, i.e. turned by 90°. That way, people approaching the camera head-on are now effectively entering the camera's FOV from the side.
  • Consider mounting a second camera such that it is able to sense people before they enter the FOV of the first (main) camera and program your cameras so that the main camera starts recording when the second camera senses motion. You should still keep a rule that will trigger the main camera when it senses motion.

See also the FAQ Optimizing motion detection performance on Arlo Wire-Free cameras.

If this still doesn't help, post a screenshot of your camera's view and the forum may be able to advise on better positioning/orienting.

Also, consider creating a new (custom) mode, in which you have full control of the rule parameters. That will allow you to adjust the recording length and set it between 10 and 120 seconds. Using the default Armed mode should be avoided.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Katen007 wrote:

30 feet is a bit outside the official motion detection range. Make sure that the camera is positioned and oriented such that expected objects enter the camera's field of view (FOV) from the side, rather than head-on.

This means, for instance, that placing a camera directly above a doorway to detect people approaching the doorway should be avoided, because people would approach the camera head-on rather than enter the camera's FOV from the side. So, try to position the camera so that it gets a view from the side.

A few tricks you can try if repositioning is not possible:

• Mount the camera upside down and "invert" the image on the camera's Settings page to compensate for the upside-down image. The changed positioning and orientation of the motion sensor sometimes achieves the desired result.
  • Mount the camera sideways, i.e. turned by 90°. That way, people approaching the camera head-on are now effectively entering the camera's FOV from the side.
  • Consider mounting a second camera such that it is able to sense people before they enter the FOV of the first (main) camera and program your cameras so that the main camera starts recording when the second camera senses motion. You should still keep a rule that will trigger the main camera when it senses motion.

See also the FAQ Optimizing motion detection performance on Arlo Wire-Free cameras.

If this still doesn't help, post a screenshot of your camera's view and the forum may be able to advise on better positioning/orienting.

Also, consider creating a new (custom) mode, in which you have full control of the rule parameters. That will allow you to adjust the recording length and set it between 10 and 120 seconds. Using the default Armed mode should be avoided.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation