Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Proxiton
Guide
Guide

I recently replaced my iPhone 6S Plus with a Samsung Galaxy S8+. I rely on my Arlo system and I have been satisfied with the simplicity of Arlo whilst using my iOS device. Geofencing made my system almost completely automatic. I only checked the app/system from time to time to ensure that everything was still running as it shoud, which it always did.

Having moved to Android, the user experience is quite the opposite. First of all, there is a major issue with Geofencing. Although the location services appear to be working correctly, the system keeps activating although I am in zone and connected to my home WiFi network. When the problem occurs I have also experienced that my home location gets moved to the middle of the Indian ocean. There is a separate thread for this and I know the problem appears known, so I won't contintue this rant here.

Due to the problems with Geofencing, I have had no choice but to give it up. I have chosen to go back to manual activation until a solution has been found.

To protect my system, I have activated fingerprint authentification to open the app (another feature that was problem free on iOS). This simply doesn't work the way it should on my S8+. When opening the app and scanning my finger, the app appears to reboot and ask me for my fingerprint again. Sometimes once or twice, but sometimes more. It's flickering between the Arlo app and previously opened apps. Although I force quit the app and reboot my phone, the problem doesn't seem to go away. Finally it lets me in, but then it gets stuck on "Getting status..." in the Mode tab, and I am forced to start this whole procedure again. The next time it might actually show the status, and if I am lucky, I will be able to activate/deactivate my system. Today I spent almost 5 minutes outside of my door to switch my system off.

I have now chosen to deactivate fingerprint authentification and feel like I have lost two of the functions I have appreciated the most.

Please Netgear, save the app. I'm not sure if Netgear is to blame here, but personally I am not experiencing problems with any of my other apps. I simply want my Arlo system to be as perfect I know it can be.

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Proxiton,

For Geofencing to work be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

If you are having trouble with this, consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Do you have any issues with the mobile app when not using fingerprint authentication? You might consider uninstalling the app and downloading a fresh installation. Try again to see if you still get the same behavior.

JamesC

Proxiton
Guide
Guide

Hi JamesC and thanks for your response,

I can confirm that my app is logged in, that it is running (unless Android is shutting it down in the background?) and that location is enabled. I never log out of the app.

I have refreshed the enabled devices in the settings a few times. One of these devices is an iOS device, on which we never experience problems with. As mentioned in my original post, I never had trouble on my iPhone. When both enabled devices were on iOS the system was impeccable and almost entirely automatic, which was a relief. Our mornings are busy and now that I have been forced to stop using Geofencing, I forget to activate the Arlo system 2-3 out of 5 weekdays. It does remove the purpose of the system on our part.

I have stopped using fingerprint authentification, which has made it somewhat less problematic. Still I experience having to open the app 2-3 times (and force closing it) before I can get the camera status to be allowed to activate/deactivate the Arlo Q or our standard Arlo cameras. Having to use 1-2 minutes of active eyes-on-screen time to activate the system simply isn´t good enough. It becomes a hassle and some days (when remembering to) the energy to go through the process simply isnt there.. It´s a shame since I have invested both time and money in this system. 

The Geofencing problem is as described in the thread ""You are not connected to the internet" android app message".

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, without success. I also restart my phone regularly (at a minimum once weekly).

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation