Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Arlo App

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
PJMLAW
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am excited anticipating the newest Arlo App to be released next week.  I'll bet it includes some improvments suggested by many of you on this site.

10 REPLIES 10
StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

They are sure talking it up, so I hope it has some improvements.  

I'm guessing one of the purposes is to allow the upcoming "Q" product to interface with the app.  You can tell from the screenshot in the email that the bottom camera doesn't have a "battery" indicator.

Astroboy86
Star
Star

StuBee wrote:

I'm guessing one of the purposes is to allow the upcoming "Q" product to interface with the app.  You can tell from the screenshot in the email that the bottom camera doesn't have a "battery" indicator.

Not only is the bottom "bedroom" camera missing the battery icon, it has an added icon between the running man and the wifi indicators that looks suspiciously like a microphone.  There doesn't seem to be a "speaker" icon, however, so I wonder if audio on the Q will simply be limited to "off" or "2-way."  I suppose all will be revealed soon enough. 

hkbob
Star
Star

The email from netgear mentioned 'mandatory app update'.  I hope this doesn't mean a forced install and distrupted camera coverage.

tivoboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

EXACTLY..

are you guys really going to do an app and firmware update over the HOLIDAYS when people are going to be TRAVELLING and most like counting on their security/IP cameras to continue to work WITHOUT ANY INTERUPTION?  

Other than mandatory EOY or 1/1/xx change overs that are critical this is NOT the time to do system, software, firmware updates.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You can turn the AUTO UPDATE  off and then just get a notice when it's available... and do it later

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
scaier
Guide
Guide

That works great for the 109 people who have viewed this thread. 

hkbob
Star
Star

That's an obvious suggestion...but doesn't mesh with the 'MANDATORY' language in the email from Arlo.  Either the update is mandatory (implying that the system won't work without it) or it's not.  Either way, more information from Netgear would be useful.

Astroboy86
Star
Star

In case anything thinks Tivoboy is overreacting, he might be a little gun-shy based on what TiVo just did to all of us last week; an involuntary firmware upgrade that seriously degraded or completely bricked many of our TiVo boxes, just in time to ruin our holiday TV viewing experience.

The gory details are off-topic for this board, but TiVo doesn't give us the option of choosing manual or automatic updates, they just push them out and there's no way for us to roll back to an earlier version.  I really appreciate that Netgear (like Apple) gives us the opportunity to let someone else go first before we decide to accept a firmware or app update, and I hope they continue doing so.

PJMLAW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Supposed to be released 29 Dec I think.  Good luck.

tivoboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

And there we are, app released for iphone and android.  MUST upgrade, and cannot figure out how to use the current loaded app without upgrade.. 

I did turn off "apply updates automatically" on the system before leaving. but now I can't view anything without updating.

i've really never seen this level of mandatory requirement from an ios app before - that the current ability to use the current installed app is restricted or blocked unless one installs the latest update.

And many of us are remote at the time and don't really want to run the risk of doing a firmware update on the devices while relying somewhat on the system.

Can anyone confirm that one could update the APP without letting it apply the firmware update.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation