Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Mounting Arlo Wire free camera outside

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Continue007
Aspirant
Aspirant

I haven't purchased yet but would want to mount a camera on the front of my house just under the gutter, I would estimate about 18 to 20 feet from the ground so it would survey the whole of the drive and would not be easy to steal. Looking at Netgear website they recommend 7 to 10 feet. I wonder if anyone has installed at a similar height and if it worked ok. Can you get a suitable tilt on the magnetic mount? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
wsomar
Tutor
Tutor

I have a similar set-up and tried several things:

1- Default magnetic mount (half-round) --> could not get the angle set right for my application. (Works best on vertical surfaces -- hard to aim if fastened to a horizontal surface (eave, gutter)

2- Ceiling magnetic mount (full round) --> angle OK but was concerned over high winds knocking the camera off

3- Outdoor mount --> This gave me the correct angle plus the added assurance that it is fastened with three screws and the camera is screwed on to the mount as well.

The problem with a magnetic mount outside is that it can be quickly detached (just grab it) and the batteries can be removed in one easy motion. The screw-in mount at least gives you a good view of the perpetrator before he/she can unfasten and disable.

-wr

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may be possible to get the angle you want but there are issues with this strategy.  Specifically, motion detection may be impacted by both the distance from the motion as well as the amount of scene showing. It would be tough to analyze over the Internet and would need trial and error to figure out.

There are lots of aftermarket mounts that would work (look for camera mounts with 1/4-20 threads) and can be made a bit more theft-proof than the magnetic mounts.  I believe there's an FAQ dealing with this.

wsomar
Tutor
Tutor

I have a similar set-up and tried several things:

1- Default magnetic mount (half-round) --> could not get the angle set right for my application. (Works best on vertical surfaces -- hard to aim if fastened to a horizontal surface (eave, gutter)

2- Ceiling magnetic mount (full round) --> angle OK but was concerned over high winds knocking the camera off

3- Outdoor mount --> This gave me the correct angle plus the added assurance that it is fastened with three screws and the camera is screwed on to the mount as well.

The problem with a magnetic mount outside is that it can be quickly detached (just grab it) and the batteries can be removed in one easy motion. The screw-in mount at least gives you a good view of the perpetrator before he/she can unfasten and disable.

-wr

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Continue007 wrote:

I haven't purchased yet but would want to mount a camera on the front of my house just under the gutter, I would estimate about 18 to 20 feet from the ground so it would survey the whole of the drive and would not be easy to steal. Looking at Netgear website they recommend 7 to 10 feet. I wonder if anyone has installed at a similar height and if it worked ok. Can you get a suitable tilt on the magnetic mount? Thanks

I would not recommend the magnetic mounts for outside use. They limit the angle too much at which you can orient your Arlo cameras.

Get a decent outside mount.

These Wall & Ceiling mounts, for instance, are a great value at the fraction of the cost of the original Arlo outside mounts. On top of it they are black, rather than white.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

IMO the height and what you wan to see will actually hinder the usefullness of the Arlo cam..causing a lot of false triggers

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Bearscreek
Apprentice
Apprentice

Great find on the mounts!  Thanks!

Continue007
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for all your replies. Great help
Discussion stats