Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
TexasTornado
Guide
Guide

My front camera picks up cars that go by at the very top corner of the field of view, but not someone walking up my sidewalk right in the center of the camera.  Is there an adjustment I can make to fix this, or is this just a flawed motion detection system?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not flawed, just the way passive IR detection systems work.  Cars have large IR signatures compared to humans so are picked up more easily at great distances.  Tilt the camera down some or maybe fashion a shield (some folks use tape) on the IR sensor to mask out the cars while not affecting the closer humans.  Make sure the person is detected moving across the FOV, starting at or near an edge, and not walking directly towards/from the camera.  Post a screenshot for more specific recommendations.

TexasTornado
Guide
Guide

Ok, thanks for the tip.  Here is a screen shot since you asked 🙂  The upper left corner catches action all the time, but the center where the sidewalk is almost never triggers the motion sensor.

Capture.PNG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd have to suggest repositioning the camera rather than masking the street. Motion on the sidewalk will be difficult to detect in this scene. Motion needs to be across the FOV starting at or near an edge.  Lowering the camera may help some but finding a position where people walk across the scene is needed. Care to post a picture of the front of the house? Maybe there's something available to change the location of the camera.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation