Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
sherzberg13
Guide
Guide

Under settings, under rules, we are given the option to choose a length of time from 10 seconds to 120 seconds. Is Arlo trying to come out with an option 'duration of motion' and then 5 seconds after or 10 seconds after? This would help with recording 20 seconds of nothing when the camera flashes and creates motion. It would help when a car passes or lingers for that matter. My camera recently caught an intruder on my front porch... It did not capture the entire time he was there but I only have that camera set up for 10 seconds. Are there any future plans for this option?

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Lotsa possibilities here but don't forget that the camera will make another recording if motion continues.

sherzberg13
Guide
Guide

No. Your response does not help the motion timing issue I am addressing. In order to save battery, cloud space, & time sorting through unnecessary video footage, having an option to record the length of the motion would be a great option to explore fo NetGear. When I spoke to a rep on the phone, he said this is a great idea and asked me to post it on here.

You mentioned the camera will make another recording if motion continues. Have you tested the time it takes before the second recording begins? The delay is way too long to catch anything in a fast pace situation. I continue to test and adjust my cameras so they function properly or at least to the best of their ability.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

. Are there any future plans for this option?

As to your original question, No.... there has been no metion of changing the time durations from what they are now.

You could post it in the request area tho and more kudos, more chance of fruition;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

You mentioned the camera will make another recording if motion continues. Have you tested the time it takes before the second recording begins? The delay is way too long to catch anything in a fast pace situation. I continue to test and adjust my cameras so they function properly or at least to the best of their ability.

Yes, there is aprox 3-5 seconds  on the reset before the motion starts up a new video

The best way I've found to overcome this and get all the activity is to use two cameras... you set up rules which turn on Cam A and Cam B at same time but change/increase the record time on the one you think will be more like to capture.

As like;

Cam A sense, record Cam A

Cam A sense, record Cam B ( with increased time record )

Cam B sense, record Cam B ( with increased time record )

Cam B sense, record Cam A

So you end up with dual records of diff lengths with different angles/views and either camera can trigger both recordings

Like you said... to the best of capabilities

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Dee_Iowa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just installed my Arlo last night after having VueZone for awhile.  Still trying to figure out modes and rules.  Dumb question.  How can you sense motion on camera A but record on camera B? 

TomMac wrote:

. Are there any future plans for this option?

As to your original question, No.... there has been no metion of changing the time durations from what they are now.

You could post it in the request area tho and more kudos, more chance of fruition;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

Yes, there is aprox 3-5 seconds  on the reset before the motion starts up a new video

The best way I've found to overcome this and get all the activity is to use two cameras... you set up rules which turn on Cam A and Cam B at same time but change/increase the record time on the one you think will be more like to capture.

As like;

Cam A sense, record Cam A

Cam A sense, record Cam B ( with increased time record )

Cam B sense, record Cam B ( with increased time record )

Cam B sense, record Cam A

So you end up with dual records of diff lengths with different angles/views and either camera can trigger both recordings

Like you said... to the best of capabilities

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Dee_Iowa wrote:

Just installed my Arlo last night after having VueZone for awhile.  Still trying to figure out modes and rules.  Dumb question.  How can you sense motion on camera A but record on camera B? 

You either modify the current RULE for cam A ... go to SETTINGS/RULES/ edit pencil OR ADD for a new one.
first you pick the camera for motion , the second choice is the camera to record on
Morse is faster than texting!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dee_Iowa,

If you set up a rule that looks like the following it will allow Camera A to trigger Camera B to record when Camera A senses motion:

Cam A then Cam B.JPG

When using a rule like this it is important to also have an additional rule stating "record video on Camera A" when "Motion is detected on Camera A" if you also want motion to be recorded on the camera used to trigger.

You can find these settings by navigating to "Settings" and then clicking on "Rules" under Base Station. You can then add a new rule or edit an existing rule.

JamesC

Dudamonster
Aspirant
Aspirant

Butt...

Once the system STOPS recording after a predetermined duration setting, how long before it starts recording again? I suspect you're going to say as soon as it detects motion, but that's not the case. I have tested this and learned that even though there's continous motion in the cameras view, it does not immediately pick up recording new video where the last video clip left off and there's a substantial gap, usually the crucial video I need.

For clarification, My signal is strong and clean. I have an extender and my cameras are relatively close to my router. Cameras set to 25 seconds, 90% motion sensitivity.

Setting my duration length to a longer duration may not correct the problem and only result in batteries draining faster. perhaps returning it back to 10 seconds, providing there's a way to shorten that gap betweenvideo clips.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Dudamonster
Aspirant
Aspirant

With all due respect sir, the 3-5 second camera reset you mentioned is no where near correct. More like 45-90 seconds actually. I too am haing the same problem and having to buy another camera to combat the problem is an expensive and extreme approach.

Had I known this was apparently a widely occurring problem, I never would've spent over $550.00 on all of these cameras.

There has got be be a solution to this problem.

Thank you.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dudamonster,

You could be experiencing a longer time between recordings due to poor signal strength between the base station and the cameras. Do you see this behavior on all cameras or just specific cameras?

You might consider relocating your base station so that it is closer to the affected cameras to improve signal strength. Also when relocating, try to limit the nearby proximity of any wireless devices that could be causing interference.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation