Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
AskMcGowan
Star
Star

Forgive me if this has already veen answered, but is there a way to disable the motion detection recording timer and just have it record continously while motion is ongoing?

To explain this, currently there are settings, when motion is detected the camera starts recording for 10 to 120 seconds depending on user configuration.

What I want: If someone walk into camera view, motion picks it up and starts recording, and does NOT stop recording until there is no more motion.

Last thing I need is for someone to walk in with the idea of valdalismn in mind and the camera stops recording right before he does something just because of a stupid timer. I do not care about battery life, I will happily change the battery every couple of days I just want this feature and yes this is a deal breaker. I will have to return them if it is not possible and if there is no update with the option coming soon at some point.

7 REPLIES 7
David_NG
Arlo Employee Retired

AskMcGowan,

Currently there is no way to disable the timer of motion detection. The options listed in Arlo are the only options for motion detection. But to further explain what would happen in the example you created let’s say someone got into your house and motion detection was activated. Depending on the length of time you have motion detection timed for

(I’m thinking you have set for 120 sec). If motion is still detected after 120 sec it will record again. As long as there is movement when motion detection ends motion detection will start again.

Now the great thing about this is you can get notifications sent to you when motion is detected. At this point you can use your phone or Internet device to log in and see what’s going on and if it’s something you feel needs a continuous recording you can hit the record button and record for as long as you need. 

The option for continuous recording until motion is not detected would be great! You should drop your idea into the Arlo Ideas exchange.

I hope this helps you in understanding motion detection 

The Arlo Team 

AskMcGowan
Star
Star

Thank you for the response.

And I will definitely post the idea, thank you for that link, I actually have a couple more ideas in mind which I would like to post while I am there.

I did notice the mothod you mentioned in a few tests that I tried. Here are my issues with that though:

1 - If I am driving and motion is detected I cannot pick up my phone to record - I say driving, there are other senarios but the entire point of the camera system to have my mind at ease that even if I cannot reach it live, I will still catch the entire story.

2 - Recording starts AFTER detection - issue with this is that there are 1-3 seconds of lag, if someone where to come in the view, throw a rock and run, it will catch just the rock breaking the glass. I have tested this multiple times with always the same results.

Test - Drive by my house

Result - only the tail lights are caught while the car is vanishing away from the camera view, so I do not see the front nor the side.

A real live example, mail man pulls up and puts mail in the mail box, the lag was so large I only saw him leaving, I did not see him pull up, did not see him walk to the mail box or walk back up the usps truck.  Major lag and I am running 50MBPS comact

3 - I have seen the video one start, end < motion continues > video start video end, but there are easy 3-4 seconds on occasion where there is no recording, like is needs time to save the video before starting to record again.

If it worked like it should - ask you explained it - that woiuld be perfect, I would still prefer constant recording, but, I could live with that.

Thanks again for the response!

paintguy
Star
Star
I have the same problem. There is way too much lag. I have videos where I didn't see myself walk up my sidewalk until I was opening my door.
snip3rboy
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @paintguy ,

In your Camera Rule configuration, what is your motion detection sensitivity level set to?

This 'Arlo - Using Motion Detection' video @ :30 mark might help. It gives recommendations on how to optimize motion detection.

beachbumdb
Star
Star

I have spent three days working with these cameras.

The lag is way too much.  This needs some kind of update to fix.

I agree with previous poster, the person could be all the way to the car and throw something into the windshield before the camera even starts.  I might get them leaving but not much more.

This system is a great idea in being run with batteries to allow you to put it anywhere you cant hardwire.

But there are some serious bugs to be fixed with it.

Batteries in the cold and lag time in the detection.

I also found that in the afternoon, the setting sun sets off the camera that i have pointed down a driveway.

The camera is pointed towards the west and away from road traffic.  Couldnt figure out what was setting it off.

There was a woods but the trees are bare this time of year.  Even lowering sensitivity didnt help.

Then I realized the setting sun was the problem.

mmacch
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was told when I purchased this camera that there was a way to record continously because he mentioned the varying battery life if you take the motion sensor off.  This is disappointing to hear.  I too have issues with lag time.  By the time I get the motion detection notification and grab my phone to see what's happening, the person is already away from my door and the recording only shows the person leaving so I never see a face which is kind of the point.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

2 things:

1) you got lied to by the salesperson. There has never been a way to continuously record until the Arlo Q came out a couple of weeks ago.

2) lag can be reduced to about 2 seconds by trial and error with positioning and angle. Motion MUST be across the FOV as well as being detected near and edge to be most efficient. If motion is directly to the camera and/or seen in the middle of the FOV, all bets are off. Post a screenshot of your scene for suggestions.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation