Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

As some of you may know, I have been really frustrated with the performance of this system.   After countless tests, tickets, an RMA for a camera, it was time to dig into this further.  I have heard everything: “You should move the camera”, “camera angle is bad”, “try installing a shield”,  “the flux capacitor is set to high”, etc.  Believe me when I say “I tried everything”.

In the spirit of trouble shooting I have been working with Christine at Netgear.  Kudos to her, she is the only one I have seen post from Netgear that actually cares about their product.  I just wanted to share the latest test that I conducted with the Arlo community in hopes that it helps fine tune this product.  

My communication with NetGear (Christine)

Good Morning Christine,

I had some time yesterday afternoon to do some testing (materials impact reflection of IR) when I got home from work.  As per your request, I adjusted the camera so less brick is showing. 

Testing environmental conditions as follows:

Body Temp:  97.9 degrees

Screen.png

Here are IR Thermal readings: (from left to right  concrete driveway, grass in fron yard, brick on the front of my house)

Thermal.jpg

From my truck parked in the street, I set the system to "ALL MOTION ON" (sensitivity set at 90%).  I walked from my truck to point A > point B > point C > point D > point E > point F.  As you can see Arlo picked me up walking from point C to point 😧

Route.png

LINK TO VIDEO: https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/C22D88499B887561

Follow up notes:

Q:  Have you attempted to place the camera on the other corner of the garage?  

A:  Yes,  I also installed the camera in the middle of the Garage and at the other end of the house.

Q:  Have you had a chance to relocate this camera to point back at the house?

A:  No,  the only location that affords me that angle is a young tree.  I would have to cut some branches away to give me a clear view (if any) of my front door and cars parked in my driveway.

Q: One more thing I wanted to check in with you about is the location of the base station. At one point, didn't you have it sitting on top of your router? Is so, we should also think about relocating it to at least 6 feet away from the router to see if that makes a difference.

A:  it was sitting on my router at one time,  we had discussions earlier about that and its location close to a smart TV.  I relocated the Arlo base station to the opposite side of the room, 15 feet away.

26 REPLIES 26
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

@FedUp2

Sorry to say, but it still performes the same.  I still have the system but I use it to compliment my wired FOSCAM system.

RABAMI
Aspirant
Aspirant
Amazing story. I have had mine set up for 48 hrs and already know it's going back on Wednesday. This is too expensive a piece of technology, advertised as plug and play, for me to invest any more time messing around with. I'm testing the system with just one camera in play, focused on a single item - a construction sled. I need to know who is tossing in trash. I literally stood half way between the camera and the sled - camera is mounted on the fascia maybe 12 feet up and 15 fr from the sled. Not even an alert. The camera comes in and off, may get alerts for 6 hours then nothing for 12. At night if it detectable motion and records - some times the recording has a bright green streak across the bottom.

Love the concept. Not interested in messing with the technology.
Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation