Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection Responsiveness

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bstamper
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm researching before I buy.  I've tested some systems in the past that while they did motion detection by the time the motion was detected and the recording started the motion (person in this case) was already halfway across the room. That is, there was a delay before the recording started.  Can anyone speak to how quickly the camera (specifically the wireless/wire free) starts recording once motion is detected?  

Example: If I open a door and walk into the house where the camera is pointed.  Do I get a recording where I see the door start to open and me walk in (pretty much instant recording upon movment) or, do I get a recording where I'm already in and walking tward the camera (seconds of delay before the recording started).  

Second, I read in another post about the 10 second recordings.  Someone stated that it takes a long time (up to 10 more seconds) for the camera to start recording a 2nd set of 10 second video.  So, again, if someone walks into the house and in the first 10 seconds I see them walk up to a TV and start messing trying to get it off a wall and at the 10 second mark the recording stops...does the system then really take 10 seconds to before starting the next recroding or does it realize there is still motion and go directly into another 10 second recording?  

Appreciate any feedback as I'm trying to evaluate before I buy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In question #1;

( regular Arlo cams PIR base detect )

Yes, there is a slight delay to activate recordings.... the main reason is the cam is in sort of a sleep mode but when it detects motion, the camera wakes up.The time the trigger event happens to wake up the cam and the recording start can vary.  In my case it's < 2 seconds from trigger to record, in some cases people claim the delay is up to 4x more and they miss the subject in the recording.  This delay can be inproved by trail and error in placement and settings, but never entirely eliminated.

(q cams ) Have a different detection system (pixel based) and also pre-buffering and function much better capturing all the scene...but are menat for internal use only

In Question #2;

The cameras can be set to record a min of 10 secs to a max of 2 mins... If you have a 10 sec record setting, the camera will record for that time after detecting motion. The camera will then "reset" taking about 3 seconds ...if there is more motion detected, it will start another record cycle for the time set.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In question #1;

( regular Arlo cams PIR base detect )

Yes, there is a slight delay to activate recordings.... the main reason is the cam is in sort of a sleep mode but when it detects motion, the camera wakes up.The time the trigger event happens to wake up the cam and the recording start can vary.  In my case it's < 2 seconds from trigger to record, in some cases people claim the delay is up to 4x more and they miss the subject in the recording.  This delay can be inproved by trail and error in placement and settings, but never entirely eliminated.

(q cams ) Have a different detection system (pixel based) and also pre-buffering and function much better capturing all the scene...but are menat for internal use only

In Question #2;

The cameras can be set to record a min of 10 secs to a max of 2 mins... If you have a 10 sec record setting, the camera will record for that time after detecting motion. The camera will then "reset" taking about 3 seconds ...if there is more motion detected, it will start another record cycle for the time set.

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation