Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection Not Working

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Trucky1008
Initiate
Initiate

I purchased the 4 camera kit yesterday and have installed 2 of the cameras.  The camera above the rear patio deck seemed to be working fine at first but now it won't detect motion.  The camera above the garage door is not detecting movement unless I'm within a foot or two of the camera.  I have gone through all the troubleshooting threads and believe that I have all the settings and rules set up properly.  The garage camera is about 10' above the drive and I've moved it twice now thinking it was a placement issue.  I've also swapped out this camera with one of the others that I haven't installed yet, still very limited motion detection.  This is a view from the garage camera.  I have walked around both the vehicles and stood in front of the truck with no motion detection made.  Help would be appreciated!  Thanksimage.jpeg

14 REPLIES 14
Hanset01
Tutor
Tutor

I had the same thing happen with mine. It went from being super sensitive, to basically needing somebody to hold their hand against the lense for it to activate.

Gig32
Initiate
Initiate
Same problem I'm having uggggh it waits til someone is at my door and I can barely see them before it detects motion it's annoying I have moved this camera around a thoundsand times I'm starting to think I wasted my money !
Trucky1008
Initiate
Initiate

I went in and deleted the rules and created new rules for each camera.  They now are recording and alerting, but the cameras still do not pick up motion until someone is very close to the camera.  If I move around near the front of my truck I can get motion to activate, but not from any further distance.  I have read where other users have to turn down their sensitivity becuase motion is picking up vehicles on the street, I can barely pick them up when they're in my own driveway!   Due to the delay from motion sensing to camera activation I am concerned that I won't have any video should someone approach one of my vehicles or trailer. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Trucky1008,

The issue could be the distance at which you are trying to activate motion detection. Arlo cameras work best detecting motion within 10-15 feet from the camera. It can take some trial and error to find the best placement for your Arlo cameras. To be sure your cameras are placed for best performance take a look at this article: Optimizing motion detection performance on Arlo Wire-Free cameras

JamesC

stoneware
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just installed a wireless camera pointing out my front window.  I don't think the motion detection is worked because of the reflection off the glass.  I can walk all the way up to it, and not detection.  If I put my hand behind the camera, it detects motion, which is why I think it's using reflection.  Any way around this, or should I return the cameras?

Lousy
Tutor
Tutor
I'm having same problem! I can live stream that camera but it won't detect motion Did you ever figure out what to do? Thx
stoneware
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes.  I returned the system.

Lousy
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you for your quick response. I'm thinking I will have to do the same. It's just not worth the frustration of 3 days trying and not able to reach anyone with the company Thx again
rlindstedt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem. I purchased Pro as I was hoping they would be better than the old ones - huh I was wrong! Motion detection is embarrasly bad and I don't understand how they can be allowed to sell these cameras for security purposes. it's really bad 😞

seanwattson--
Aspirant
Aspirant

Friend, Thanks for a good suggestion!  Download IMO APP for free video calls and text.  Message and video chat with your friends and family for free, no matter what device they are on! With imo apk, users can preview and try new and experimental IM features. However, the beta app is less stable than the official imo instant messenger app.

rlindstedt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just wanted to provide an update to my previous statement. I have got the motion detection to work a little bit better now by moving the camera around and finding a better spot. It seems it is extremely important how close the camera is to the monitored area and also the angle from which it captures movements. I am still not happy with the experience as a customer but if you have many hours to spend on making it work, eventually you may actually be able to make it work it seems 😃 /Richard

gameplayer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks to all for good suggestions. 

Denniscasey
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine works to good and can't get it reduced it is reaching over 75 feet easily
Hemantarya
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wow awesome tip..!