Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
edamame007
Follower
Follower

Hi,

I have one of the camera set up at the front door of my house. The area includes the little bit of the side walk in front of the house and it records videos everytime someone walk the street. I want it to record only if someone come in and approach to my front door.

Is there a way to limit the motion detection area so it doesn't record unnecessary videos?

13 REPLIES 13
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Try reducing the sensitivity slider for the camera. Other than repositioning the camera and/or its orientation, those are the only parameters you can modify to change the motion detection behavior.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

. The area includes the little bit of the side walk in front of the house and it records videos everytime someone walk the street. I want it to record only if someone come in and approach to my front door.

As mentioned, reposition the camera.... aim it down a bit more so it doesn't pick up or view the street ( just your walk-way to door )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
WadeShuler
Star
Star

You can adjust this on the zoom/pan area of your camera's settings.

Go to the Settings tab. On the left menu, go all the way down to "Camera Settings", and choose the camera you need to adjust.

On the right side, scroll down and you will see a huge screenshot of your camera. You will see green squares in the corners of the image. Click and drag them to adjust the size of the viewing area. You can also click, hold, and drag the square around the image. Try to resize it a bit, then move it, so it is not including the area that you don't want.

arlo-zoom-pan.png

I have noticed 2 problems with this. 1, you should be able to resize it on all sides, not just the corners. I get they are trying to keep the same video size (width/height), but they could add black bars to the video. 2, the take snapshot button is not working on one of my cameras. It is stuck showing the old image, and when I click snapshot, it just spins and spins and doesn't do anything. My other camera takes the snapshot and updates fine..

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

WadeShuler wrote:

You can adjust this on the zoom/pan area of your camera's settings.

Go to the Settings tab. On the left menu, go all the way down to "Camera Settings", and choose the camera you need to adjust.

Yes you can adjust the size of Pic...

But the OP wanted to adjust the MOTION DETECTION AREA.... and this is not possible.

Even with the smaller pic, the motion sensor detects the entire field of view.

William
Tutor
Tutor

Would also really like to be able to customise the motion detection area.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

William wrote:

Would also really like to be able to customise the motion detection area.

Not possible at this time

William
Tutor
Tutor

TomMac wrote:

Not possible at this time

TomMac :  Do you know if this is a hardware limitation with the motion detectors or something surrmountable in the near future via software update?  

As it stands its nearly impossible for me to get a good view of my front garden without including some of the road/footpath which triggers contant motion detection.  Being able to move the motion detector independently to the camera could possibly help?

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Motion Detection is not pixel-based, instead it's achieved via a separate sensor in the front panel of the camera, so with the current hardware it is probably impossible to change the way motion is detected, only sensitivity is adjustable.

I see three possible workarounds that may or may not work for you:

1. Try mounting the camera upside down and then compensate for the inverted image in the camera's settings. The different location of the motion sensor relative to the camera lens may change the motion detection area to your advantage.
  2. Try mounting the camera facing away from the street and instead orient it towards your house/entryway. Try mounting it on a structure in front of your house, like a tree, for instance.
  3. Use one camera as a sensor and a second as the recording device. This allows you to place sensor and camera in physically different locations and orientations, as proposed by you. Of course, it wastes use of one camera and degrades it to a pricey sensor.
William
Tutor
Tutor

Schorschi wrote:

Motion Detection is not pixel-based, instead it's achieved via a separate sensor in the front panel of the camera, so with the current hardware it is probably impossible to change the way motion is detected, only sensitivity is adjustable.

I see three possible workarounds that may or may not work for you:

1. Try mounting the camera upside down and then compensate for the inverted image in the camera's settings. The different location of the motion sensor relative to the camera lens may change the motion detection area to your advantage.
  2. Try mounting the camera facing away from the street and instead orient it towards your house/entryway. Try mounting it on a structure in front of your house, like a tree, for instance.
  3. Use one camera as a sensor and a second as the recording device. This allows you to place sensor and camera in physically different locations and orientations, as proposed by you. Of course, it wastes use of one camera and degrades it to a pricey sensor.
_______
Thank you Schorschi, your advice is greatly appreciated.  
1. It is currently mounted upside down and I can see the logic in this.
2. Also a great suggestion, I'm just waiting for one of my newly planted trees to get a bit stronger and then I'll look at mounting a camera on it as its in the perfect position to cover the front of the house.
3. This would be a great solution which I may have to resort to.  Hopefully Netgear release a sepeate standalone sensor in the future.

Digilock
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a D-link at home and you can "drag" your cursor across the screen to create several overlapping areas. I like my arlo because of the portability (wire-free) feature, but our parking lot is next to a freeway and it's kinda hard to adjust the sensitivity. I'm hopeful Netgear can add this feature through just a software update.D-links Detection Steps

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If any camera is using a passive IR detector, this isn't possible - it detects the whole area designed in, just like with motion detection lights.  The Q cameras have pixel-based detection, not IR, so can be zoned like the D-Link.

Digilock
Aspirant
Aspirant

so netgear! lets do this

Turbulance
Initiate
Initiate
What I have done is to paint tipp-ex over part of the motion sensor I don't want it to pick up if you get it wrong you just wait till it drys and scrap it off with your finger nail . I have a busy road in front of my house this way I don't pick up the passing cars and have the motion set to 100%
Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation