Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Patrickwg66
Initiate
Initiate
As the Arlo is cloud basef, my understand is that causes the 2-5 second lag time until it starts recording. Is there another way or is Arlo working on something that will either reduce or eliminate the lag time beforevitcstsrtscto recording. Correct me if I am wrong, but a lot can happen in 5 seconds. Thanks for your thoughts and help.
4 REPLIES 4
Patrickwg66
Initiate
Initiate
Before it starts recordings - typos, sorry
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Patrickwg66,

It’s important to understand that due to the battery-powered design of the cameras and their requirement to conserve power when not in use, there may be some small amount of delay while the cameras wake up from energy-saving mode.

Camera position can also be a factor in motion detection performance. It can sometimes take some trial and error to find optimal conditions for your Arlo system.

Take a look at the tips in this article to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance: How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

JamesC

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As mentioned above...placement makes a big difference.

But I have come up with a "trick" the makes it appear to start faster and might shave off a second or two.  ( btw, My current delay is 1-2 sec )

Pick the camera you want to use

go into settings and then using Pan/Zoom reduce the picture view by about 20 % , then adjust the cropped view to area covered, then center the cropped view ,... then SAVE.

you may have to realign your camera to center the current view on area of concern now (for the cropped picture)

Test response of trigger event in camera

Why the slight of hand works?... the PIR covers the whole field of view even if the picture is cropped. Since the actual view is smaller, the PIR triggers before the subject is in the cropped picture, the delay to record is covered by the time to enter the cropped picture...so it "appears" to work faster

Try it and let me know how it works for you.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
oldkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

Patrickwg66,

It’s important to understand that due to the battery-powered design of the cameras and their requirement to conserve power when not in use, there may be some small amount of delay while the cameras wake up from energy-saving mode.

Camera position can also be a factor in motion detection performance. It can sometimes take some trial and error to find optimal conditions for your Arlo system.

Take a look at the tips in this article to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance: How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

JamesC

Why would the engineers design the camera make the cameras sensor detect motion more to the peripheral sides than just straight ahead, or both?

Is Netgear working on fixing this problem in the future, or the next wireless model that likely due in a year or two?

This camera system is set up for security purposes, and it has two major flaws. One, not picking up motion when obvious motion is happening in front of the lens, and two, the lag time is ridiculously bad. If someone ran past all 5 of my cameras it wouldn't pick up anything, and by then they could break into the house, run out and the cameras would miss that too because of the lag.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation