Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Thumpersma
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've read there is a lag time between motion detection and start-up of recording of video. For instance, when motion is detected, the camera starts to ramp up to record but by the time it records, the subject that caused the motion detection has had time to walk in/up to the camera, turn around, and begin to walk away so that only the back of the subject is actually recorded. I suppose this is in relation to motion detection sensitivity. Others have stated that even though they have motion sensitivity set to 100%, this issue is still happening. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks. 

46 REPLIES 46
Mrm181
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat wrote:

Mrm181 wrote:

Does anyone know if a wifi extender will help the Arlo Q Plus?

In what way?  If it's to give a stronger WiFi signal, sure.

Yes, that is what I meant. Although, it is difficult to tell if the unit/s have an issue as it is not always clear cut if there is a problem. There is some loading issues, but I am not sure how much help it will be...

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hopefully arlo team listens to my suggestion... It would make the Arlo setup awesome. And fix all lag issues. What do you guys think?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Motion-Detection/Motion-detectors-proposal/m-p/1108957#U1108957
jgackson
Initiate
Initiate

I had hoped that by now Netgear might have figured out some kind of firmware solution to the lag problem, and so went ahead, after months of waffling, and installed two cameras outside (front and back) talking to a base station inside. I'm finding the setup better than nothing, but not much. The lag is simply awful--for example, the recording starts just as the mail carrier is leaving, and completely misses us when we simply come in and out (the mail carrier of course spends a few seconds at the door, putting mail in the box, but we don't). Meanwhile the camera is very quick to pick up tiny motions at the fringe. Can't however it works so well at the fringe be somehow migrated to the middle of the image?

I'll continue to fine-tune by re-aiming the cameras slightly and by adjusting sensitivity, but at this point I'm increasingly tempted to return them. Which is a pisser, since the design and wirelessness of these units is so nice...

Someone talk me into keeping them?

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not worth keeping it. For the money you are spending you can purchase a real security systems- Ex: Lorex or Foscam cameras. I've given up on these junk. I need a cameras that is reliable. Not a hit or miss deal....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a screenshot - maybe some suggestions can be made.

Thumpersma
Apprentice
Apprentice

jgackson wrote:

The lag is simply awful--for example, the recording starts just as the mail carrier is leaving, and completely misses us when we simply come in and out (the mail carrier of course spends a few seconds at the door, putting mail in the box, but we don't). Meanwhile the camera is very quick to pick up tiny motions at the fringe. Can't however it works so well at the fringe be somehow migrated to the middle of the image?

Someone talk me into keeping them?

The position of the camera in relation to the target you want to catch is important. Placing the camera at an angle to the target path allows the camera to wake-up and begin recording of a more sensible image. For example, my camera is at an angle to my front walkway. I capture images of not only the mailman coming and going, but also anyone coming out the front door. I also have it tilted upward slightly so that the camera captures anyone on the front porch but not the squirrels and random roaming cats who scurry on the ground in front of my porch. 

It took a little trial and error to eliminate the 30 or so squirrel alerts and still capture the mailman waving to me in the camera when he leaves. I'll admit, the system is not perfect. But the fact that I don't have to run wires throughout my house to secure it more than makes up for it. 

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

What will happen when you replaced the batteries- Probably have to spend 30 + days fiddle around and repositiong the cameras to get it working again. Shouldn't have to do that.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You have an image on the Cameras tab to compare to until something changes it.  You can use live view and capture a snapshot so you can use that in the library or print it out and use that as your goal.  It's not hard - takes me maybe a minute to aim properly using live view after changing batteries.

ElderlyWatch
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not happy with Arlo due to lag issue.  In comparision to iCloud Baby Monitor App downloaded one time set up fee of 3 dollars ) to my iphone, it has NO lag, however it has no recording feature (that is one of cons)...i am still using this baby monitor as backup.   So why did I purchased Arlo WITH lag at high cost! It does not make sense.   I want to return Arlo and get refund after a few months of using it.

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ebay or Craigslist- Not worth keeping it. BIG MISTAKE going with Arlo cameras..........

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ElderlyWatch,

Due to the battery-powered design of the Arlo Wire-Free cameras and their requirement to conserve power when not in use, there may be a very slight delay while the cameras wake up from energy-saving mode. For more information on how to make sure your cameras are performing at their best take a look at this article: How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

JamesC

Mrm181
Tutor
Tutor

I have two Arlo Q Plus POE models, which I do not use the POE due to lack of closeness, both are active with the CVR subscription. I find that not only logging into to view the cameras in real time has a serious lag time as well as at times disconnects, but also the playback is suppose to show the different color lines so you can see when the audio/video begins in the recordings and it is not.

My internet has a 1.5 upload speed.

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
1.5 is too slow to avoid lags. My upload is 10mbs, and using wireless could fluctuate between 5 and 8. Your 1.5 probably fluctuates as well, meaning you are probably never getting 1.5 especially with both cameras, hence lag will always exist to a greater degree for you. You could try to lower the resolution to 720p to help. Otherwise a faster internet is necessary to minimize lag.
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Pet1700 wrote:
1.5 is too slow to avoid lags. My upload is 10mbs, and using wireless could fluctuate between 5 and 8. Your 1.5 probably fluctuates as well, meaning you are probably never getting 1.5 especially with both cameras, hence lag will always exist to a greater degree for you. You could try to lower the resolution to 720p to help. Otherwise a faster internet is necessary to minimize lag.

I have a 1gb FTH service to my House average speed is 918Mbs and the LAG is still HORRIBLE.  Enough time for a thief to walk up my driveway and take a box from my porch.  (Which actually happened)  the only footage that AR-SLOW caught was his/her foot exiting my driveway.

The problem is power on sequence.  When armed, motion detection is only active.  When motion is detected, a power ON sequence is initiated telling  the camera to TURN ON and begin recording.  (My guess, this is where "Most" of delay comes from)

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
We are not talking about arlo wireless... We are talking about arlo q plus, which is always on, and with 24/7 recording, always recording. Even without 24/7 recording, arlo q cameras are always on. My lag from motion detection is a fraction of a second with 10mbs upload.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

"I find that not only logging into to view the cameras in real time has a serious lag time as well as at times disconnects, but also the playback is suppose to show the different color lines so you can see when the audio/video begins in the recordings and it is not."

What Pet says is true... In my tests the Q cam can almost peak to 1.5M just by itself

Lower the rez a bit may help.

arloQ bandwth.jpg

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
oldkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

The lag time is the single biggest missed step with the Arlo system. I understand that's the trade off with having a wireless system but it's definitely frustrating. I have a camera pointed down my driveway which also shows a clear shot of my front door and the camera is set to 100 on sensitivity and it still will not pick the mailman walking up to or away from my mailbox. You have to drive a car right up to where the camera has a view and it won't start recording until you're out of the car and walking away. And forget about getting any footage of a car driving by, all you'll get is a blank screen with the video missing what caused it to go off. I have tried different angles, sensitivity settings, you name and I've tried it and it still disappoints when picking up "true motion". But if a tree causes a shadow or the sun hits it too bright and it will go off no matter what.

The Dropcam or Nest camera has incredible image quality but they don't make wireless or an outdoor camera. But if they did I wonder if it would still have the same lag issues? The Arlo is a good = average system, but in the event of an actual security breech I don't know if I could trust it because it's so slow and glitchy.

I'd like to know if the Netgear team is working to fix this issue on the next model, or if it's even possible?

MarkPark
Tutor
Tutor
have given up on Arlo! it is not a true security system.

Realistically the lag time is only 1 second, maybe 2 max but people exaggerate it because they are angry. (If you insist on disagreeing with that then time yourself). However, 1-2 seconds of someone walking by is still of no use when all you get is the back of their head.

I've tried every suggestion, even installing the camera 20 feet up looking down for a wider view to hopefully start recording from further away. Again with a 1 second lag time I still get the back/top of their head. The only good part is I have a better view of what they are doing but I could never see someone's face or catch them coming before misbehavior.

I tried installing 2 cameras within 12-15ft of each other but that didn't work either. I did not aim the cameras across/parallel to the ground along my driveway because I don't want false triggers from every car that drives by. I already get false triggers all day long even once a minute on some.

I tried using one camera's motion to trigger another camera to record but that didn't work either.
oldkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm just going to switch to the Nest outdoor camera, the Arlo system is proving to be unreliable in many aspects. It continually loses contact with some of my cameras even though they have full signal strength, so then I have get the ladder out, climb up and get the camera so I can reconnect it to the base station, it's a hassle considering the batteries were just replaced. I'm just hoping I can sell my Arlo system for a decent price on Ebay. 

The cameras will pick up swaying tree branches or shadows on my driveway, but if the mailman walks up to my front door it won't go off in any position or sensitivity I set it at, that's unacceptable. Forget about the lag time, what about just picking up motion in the any field of view.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MarkPark, oldkid

It’s important to understand that due to the battery-powered design of the cameras and their requirement to conserve power when not in use, there may be some small amount of delay while the cameras wake up from energy-saving mode.

Camera position can also be a factor in motion detection performance. It can sometimes take some trial and error to find optimal conditions for your Arlo system.

Take a look at the tips in this article to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance: How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

If you're still having trouble with motion detection, consider contacting the Arlo Support Team for further assistance.

JamesC

Sarahlmey
Aspirant
Aspirant
The camera doesn’t kick on until a person has already walked past. How can you fix this?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Read the FAQs here about best camera positioning and motion detection. Motion should be across the FOV and not at the camera. Distance is also a factor with people detection only to 20-25 feet if the sensitivity is raised in your modes. Also, these are battery-operated cameras and need a wake-up period of 2-3 seconds to start recording so maximizing motion detection and camera positioning is very important.