Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
mikoz
Tutor
Tutor

Hi all,

I've read through many of the posts here on these topics and I still can't say for sure I've extraced the right info.  I'd appreciate any responses, thanks.

I have 3 problems with my system:

1. lag time.  One camera is position in the corner of my front poech and looks out to the front yard and the porch itself.  The problem is really simple and seems like a real issue with these cameras: it doesn't start recording until the subject has moved away from the range, the lag time is well over 2 seconds.  This doesn't sound like a lot, but, it is... when the UPS guy drops off a pacakage, I get the back of his head as he has already left the proerty if I am lucky,... it's completely useless.    "Repositioning" the camera isn't an option.   If there's no way to improve the lag time between motion deection and recording, these cameras are useless for me, and I really can't imainge how many people can use them in  a similar outdoor setting.  I suppose they waiting for the motion detection to kick on the capture to conserve battery life, but, 2+  seconds is a deal-breaker.   Also, it's not a matter of sensitivity, cranking it upto 100 percent does not change this. 

2. day time vs. night time sensitivity.  I have played withthe sensitivities quite a bit, all the way upto 100 percent.  During the day, it's hyper-sensitivie above 90 percent, it will capture a leaf blowing by 15 feet away which is, of course, not good.  At night, I can stand in front of the camera waving my arms at distance of 5 feet from the camera and it won't trip.  All 3 cameras bahave the same way.  Is there no way to fix this? 

3. One camera often records sections of what looks like MPEG smearing and sometimes the recording is cut very short, yet shiognal strength is showing 3 bars.  What's up with that? 

I am thinking these will go back unless I can resolve these issues....

thanks,

mike

9 REPLIES 9
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Mike I'm sure you have looked around the forum and have found that many many many many other users are suffering from the issues you are. Unfortunately it does not look like improvement is likely. It would appear that one of the biggest drawer back of a battery operated system like this is considerable lag time. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

One camera often records sections of what looks like MPEG smearing and sometimes the recording is cut very short, yet shiognal strength is showing 3 bars.  What's up with that? 

That's not a camera problem per say... I've seen it recently on 3 different cameras. It is prob sw related as it appears the compression has lost it's key frame and craps badly till the next one.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
mikoz
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

thanks for your reply.  I suppose I'm holding out hope that there's a fix but I suppose not.  These cameras really have a use model problem when used outdoors in particular.   It's too bad, but I suspect the number of complaints will keep piling up and there's no hardware solution. 

Mike

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Ghost UPS Man

is this what you mean?  hahahahaha  UPS guy rang the door, dropped off the box and he cannot be seen in the video capture

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

LOL.. Hula.. I do see him with my "Mission Impossible Spy Glasses".. Oh look there he is... hahahah

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

JPC wrote:

LOL.. Hula.. I do see him with my "Mission Impossible Spy Glasses".. Oh look there he is... hahahah

Its become so frustrating that I now laugh at it. HAHAHAHAHA.  These things are garbage...

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Hula_Rock wrote:

JPC wrote:

Its become so frustrating that I now laugh at it. HAHAHAHAHA.  These things are garbage...

I hear you...  your setup in the garage is almost same as mine and it used to be good until this new firmware update.. Now, it detects motion if it wants to and it chooses to do so when there's nobody/nothing in it just like what you have here.. At times when I open iOS App it starts detecting/recording and there's none in the Library.. I learned to accept these things and yes, just laugh about it coz' there's nothing we can do.. We'll just have to wait and see in the upcoming Update and hope for the best.. We follow what Arlo Netgear's wants & what's best for our system whether we like it or not..One ex. is Facebook integration.. A lot of us didn't like it but Arlo Netgear wants it so it's there..

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Got something planned for testing this weekend.  I was speaking to my next door neighbor as he was interested in buying the system after he saw my cameras.  I gave him my honest opinion (we all know what that is).  We agreed toinstall the camera that caught the ghost UPS man on his property.  He has the same environment (Driveway ,front yard, etc) with the exception of my trees being bigger.  I am going to install it in the exact spot in the corner over the garage.  He is right next door to me so the distance from my base station will not change since it is located in the a room opposite his garage (its actually a couple feet closer).  its going to be interesting...........  I will report back later.

lawrencen
Initiate
Initiate

The lag issue is my biggest complaint with the system. Its actually quite a problem for me as those first few seconds of a motion are the most critical to capture in my opinion. I really hope they can fix this, even at the expense of losing some battery life. 

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation