Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 21 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
fzman
Initiate
Initiate

Hello,

I am not a fan of the Motion Recording. It seems that once it detects motion, the camera will record for 10 seconds that stop, even if there is still motion in going on. The only way for it to start recording again is if the motion stops for a period of time and then starts back up again. 

I would like to actually record the actions what is happening during the motion, not just the first 10 seconds. Is there a way to have the cameras record 24/7? Or atleast set the record time for longer than 10 seconds. 10 seconds is useless. 

Thank you 

Edit: I am not concerned about battery life. I will replace the batteries every week if I have to.

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can change the recording time to as long as 2 minutes in each rule. That's what generally is used to try to ensure recording at least most of what's going on. There's no way to force 24/7 recording. Using live view you can start recording manually but that will last 30 minutes before it automatically turns off.

fzman
Initiate
Initiate

Thank you for the response. Sounds like I wasted $500 on a security system. I cannot seem to understand why a security system would shut off recording after two minutes. 

Borderline33
Initiate
Initiate

I agree.   This makes the product practically useless, if it cannot be set to continuously record!!!   I never would have purchased the product knowing that was the case.   I was also led to believe from the Best Buy sales clerk that cloud storage would be enough for one week of continuous recording.   Not only is there not continuous recording, but after recording for 1/2 hour, I calculate that the 1Gb will be used up in 5 hours.  Not even the people selling your product know about it.  I will return the product tomorrow and hassle with the Best Buy people that I purchased the product over 30 days ago... 

DanFoo
Initiate
Initiate

Hello,

I completely agree with the suggestion. I'm having the same issue.

I recently purchased Arlo Wireless with the intention to capture some high-rise littering that lands on my yard.

Unfortunately the recommendation from the salesman wasn't quite accurate, as I was under the impression that I have the option to choose between scheduled recording and motion detection. Apparrently not.

Problem is these litters are usually small items that I don't think it's going to be detected till it's very near(imagine someone throws it out form 15th floor) so motion-detection is useless in this case, as I won't be able to capture who littered.

Even if it's able to detect motion 15th-floor-high, it's not going to be able to capture in time from which window it flew out.

Wired camera is not an option due location I'd want to place the camera (otherwise I would've gone for many cheaper cameras).

I would really appretiate to have an option to schedule on-going recording. Eventhough this may result in battery lasting for just a few days, I would like to have that option if I'm prepared to bear the battery costs.

I think Arlo should offer the user that option (place a warning on fast battery drain etc) for circumstances similar to mine.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Honestly , after reading your post, your looking to get small items thrown out windows at / up to 150 ft ( 15 floors +/- ) , Arlo isn't going to work as you surmised.

Your really needing a 24/7 record cam with a fairly good rez. to allow zooming after the event is captured.

There are many wired cam that would fit these needs but not wireless. But depending on how much rooom you have to mount a system , there may be an option for something battery powered.

Or sometihnig along the lines of a GoPro type cam that records to a mem card ( tho you would need regular access to it ).

Also if the cam is inside, the new Q cam coming out may solve your needs with a higher rez than Arlo and 24/7 recording (but it is ac powered )

http://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/kit/VMC3040.aspx

good luck

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
CrimeStopper559
Initiate
Initiate
Motion Detection isn't doing what it's suppose to do. I really need MD to record 5 to 30 mins my place was recently broke into and I was ROB. Quality of lense is not that great. Step up your technology please. I feel like I wasted $1,000.00 for nothing. Now I have PTSD I should have gone with cctv and security camera system that could audio record with other brand.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo Q's will record 24/7 with the CVR option as they are AC powered.... The regular Arlos run on batteries and have a finite usage which is why max record is 2 mins per trigger.

Morse is faster than texting!
Michellet29
Tutor
Tutor
I don't need the camera to record 24/7 but I would like it to record as long as there is motion, for how ever long that is. If I need to go back and find something I would have to watch way to many super short videos. It's just not worth it! Right now I'm kicking myself for wasting the money on something I'm not going to end up using. I've had them for to long to return them now 😞 I couldn't see how to change it to continuous and thought I would find it later, busy life and all, but I never thought the cameras couldn't be set to continuous. That just doesn't make sense to me at all! niw I'll just have to hope they will make an update or something that will make it possible. I understand batteries can be a problem for some but if I'm willing to deal with that then it's not a problem, that's what rechargeable ones are for.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't say if you're using a wireless or Q camera.  For the wireless ones, your only choice is to lengthen the recording.  For the Q cameras, there's a setting to allow the camera to record as long as there's motion detected.  Your choice.

Michellet29
Tutor
Tutor
I do have the wireless cameras and I have them set to record for two minutes but I have a busy house and if I need to view the recordings to find something it's a huge amount of 2 minute videos... I wish I had known it couldn't be continuous and fast-forwarded thru to find something.
Michellet29
Tutor
Tutor
I have the wireless ones but I have a busy household and even though I have them set to record for two minutes if I need to go back to find something that's a lot of two minute videos to go through. It would've been really nice to be able to just fast-forward to find what I'm looking for but that's not gonna happen I guess. Not happy! And that's kind of an important thing to be just left out
Jmarkj
Aspirant
Aspirant
I too was told it would record 24/7 with 7 days of cloud storage included. Apparently that was a very misleading statement by Fry's Electronics. Overall I love the camera and the fact that it's completely wireless is a huge Plus for me as I am 63 and cannot climb ladders anymore. We are having an ongoing vandalism problem with our vehicles and I have one camera and will have another one by tomorrow. I want to catch these little creeps and make them pay for the damage to my car. I just need to figure out how to extend the recording time
They zoom up, throw rocks and Bricks at the cars and then drive away. A couple of minutes of recording time will be fine.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jmarkj,

You can increase recording length by editing your rules for motion detection.

To do this, take a look at the steps in this article: How do I adjust the video recording length?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 21 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation