Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
sagethyme
Guide
Guide

Help

Need the time/date stamp to show on the video when I download. Very important for Police and court to see it. These are security cameras surely there is a way or I need to use a certain program. Pretty novice for these things please help.

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The long number of the file name is the date/ time in Epoch time....

there are online conversion prgms to give you the normal date time in people speak.

Also some apps / browsers auto convert this

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I just tried it and this does seem to be a glaring oversight. You should probably screenshot the viewing page before you hit download as that shows the timestamp at the top of the window. Otherwise, hopefully support can give you a few more answers

sagethyme
Guide
Guide
HUGE glaring oversight. I had no idea. What I have is a time line I need to show to police for criminal complaint. Without being able to demonstrate the time EVERYTHING falls apart. Arlo you have failed me.
sagethyme
Guide
Guide
Steve I don't know what Epoch time is.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

sagethyme wrote:
Steve I don't know what Epoch time is.

It was Tom that revealed the file number is epoch (Unix) time stamped.

You can use this website to convert it. I haven't tried it so let us know how you get on.

https://www.epochconverter.com/

sagethyme
Guide
Guide
The first time I caught my neighbor breaking the restraining order I used a Wildlife camera which recorded on a similar card. At the police station I easily showed them when he had been there date and time stamp clearly visable same in court. In District Court you have about 5 minutes for everything. Trying to get the judge to view and understand Epoch time is not going to win this case for me. First time around he stole the wild life cameras, second time he stole Arlo from behind.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Bugger. At the front of my house, I have 2 Arlo cams that cross trigger for recording. If someone wanted to tamper with one, it's likely that both cameras would record. Additionally, consider some simple security measures for your cameras so they are difficult or it takes a bit of time to take them down. There are threads on here with ideas

sagethyme
Guide
Guide

When I first purchased Arlo it would save anything marked favorite, that feature was a life saver when you needed to solve a crime because you get a good timeline and can bring thing up in your library. Now that they have eliminated that feature I am faced wtih losing a court case. ARLO I need help with this.....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Proactively download anything thought to be remotely valuable.  I use a script to do this so I lose nothing.  

As for epoch time, you can easily do the conversion before court and print out the conversion page to show the result.  Alternatively, at least the Android app save the video with the timestamp included, both the epoch as well as the converted times.

Fastmike
Star
Star

TIMEStamp is needed on video. Any court will argue that the file name can be changed which is true. 

Why Netgear cannot integrate the timestamp like any other camera system to their video/pics?

Thanks

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation