Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
Good2U
Star
Star

Does anybody else have frequent waits "getting status" of your Arlo devices?  On Android, I see this so much that I'm very frustrated.  How often it takes me nearly 2 minutes of trying and retrying before I can change the operating mode.  I'm pretty sure it's NOT connectivity-related because at times the "getting status" message is for the Arlo Base *or* the Arlo Q but not both.  Other times, of course, it IS both.

Is this common for other users?  It's annoying standing outside my door trying over and over to disarm or arm the system.

26 REPLIES 26
esophoria
Guide
Guide

It often takes very, very long for the Arlo server to determine the state of my cameras.  When leaving the home it often takes more than 90 sec for the "Gathering Information" status to change; using current iOS Arlo App.

Anyway to speed this up?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Good2U wrote:

Is this common for other users?  It's annoying standing outside my door trying over and over to disarm or arm the system.

Not common, but what devices and android version may help

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Good2U
Star
Star
Android 2.2.1_13737

I have four Arlo wireless and one Arlo Q, Comcast Blast internet
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok, meant what android phone and OS version....

But, On my android LG phone running os4.4.2, and wifi , it take about 15 secs max from start to setting the MODE... If you find that's it's just sitting , waiting to get data, sometimes a log off and back fixes the problem.

That's the best answer I can give at this time... 2 mins waiting, something isn't right.

esophoria
Guide
Guide

I'm running the current iOS version Arlo App.  It takes interminably long for the app to determine the status.  Gathering Information stays on way too long.

Good2U
Star
Star
Sorry I was confused. I'm running Android 6.0.1.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Good2U

@esophoria

For both of you two... the long wait time just dosn't seem right. 

Running on an old LG phone I timed my settings to a Armed mode ( from push on icon to armed mode set )

On home wifi it takes 10-12 second from the first press to an armed mode

On 3g ( 2 bars signal ) it takes 21-22 seconds

I'd would first check to make sure you have good connection on however you connect. Also, Make sure there's not to much running in background.

As a test, I would go into settings and clear the cache of the app then force a stop... Restart app and test your time to have the system armed.

If it's still the same, I would even think about un-install and re-install the app ( just in case ) ... Also check the version numbers of the apps tho that should auto update, so prob mute.

BTW, On my Ipad v3 with ios 9.3.3(newest os (?)), the time is quicker than above as the processor is a bit faster than the old phone

Good2U
Star
Star

Thanks, I will try clearing the cache.  I had the same long waits frequently when I was running Android 5.1.1 as well.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app.  The weird thing is the times where the status for one comes up in 15 seconds while the other takes 1-2 minutes.  Sometimes it's slow on both.  But when it's slow on one or the other, it's not consistent as to which is slow.  I wonder if they could interfere with each other?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Good2U wrote:

But when it's slow on one or the other, it's not consistent as to which is slow.  I wonder if they could interfere with each other?

Easy test ;   is to fully turn them both off ( not sleep mode ) and then turn only ONE on and log in to test

You would also be re-booting each device at same time  too ( just in case a glich )

esophoria
Guide
Guide

Can we rule out that this is a server issue on the Netgear side of things?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

not yet

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have not been able to replicate this long of a "getting status" message as described above. (I have tested both Android and iOS devices with both Arlo Q and Arlo Wire-free systems)

Are you still seeing this behavior? Is this an intermittent issue or do you always see getting status for this long?

JamesC

esophoria
Guide
Guide

Perhaps we should define some of the paramters.

I have a very high speed WiFi connection...in excess of 180/12MB per sec...also...the WiFi has no issue reaching right in front of my door on the way out...

With the iOS app..Gathering Infomration lasts in excess of 30 sec.  Is that normal or too long?  This is repeatable.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If talking about wireless cameras, don't forget that there's the camera to base WiFi independent of the home WiFi.  However, once the base is communicating with the servers, it's up to the overall World Wide Wait as well as the servers' response to define lag like this.  One thing you can do is to use traceroute (tracert on Windows PCs) to arlo.netgear.com, looking for slowdowns.  Anything approaching or exceeding 100msec. is going to cause issues.  Also, for many of us the Arlo (actually Amazon) servers are on a different continent - I'm in Rochester, NY and my servers are in Europe.  Transcontinental delays certainly cause issues.  Straight line distance between me and London is 3500 miles or 18msec. at the speed of light (Internet connections are longer and don't travel through a vacuum, not to mention congestion and device propagation delays).  And that's in one direction.

My biggest desire is that servers be more or less co-located geographically.  Of course, if the iPhone is the only device seeing the excessive lag and not in, say, a browser then something else is at work.

skinandbone
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac- I stopped getting video in the library on my phone. Used your tip re clearing app cache and force stop. Instant fix. Many thanks.

Kimo017
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've spent all morning trying place my devices in a DISARM mode. I finally had to log onto my computer to place my cameras in disarm mode.

I have the ARLO app for my ANDROID phone and the app seems to run fairly slow at times. This morning took the cake. I tried for 2 hours to change the mode and all the while the app was thinking...and thinking. I turned off the app and restarted it, but to no avail.

Even when I was away from home, I tried to turn on my cameras and it took a good 30 minutes before I was able to change the mode.

This is so fustrating!! 

Is this an APP problem that the coders can fix??

reverend_rider
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm experiencing similar problems to the original poster. Even after 5 minutes or more I can't see hub status in the Android app. Tried all basic reinstall/clear cache/log out steps without much luck. I'm on Samsung gs7 with Android 6.0.1

All functions work other than those relating to hub modes etc.

Browser address via my PC on the same network is 100% fine (and rather slick - nice work!).

My router is an R7000 running latest standard firmware
Good2U
Star
Star

I'm still having this problem.  Not every time, but easily 1/3 of the time.  It's my single biggest complaint and the reason that I don't recommend Arlo to anyone who asks me about security cams.

I've actually seen in this thread a comment about arming/disarming via a web browser.  I've never tried that approach.  Would somebody give a quick overview on how to try that, please? 

reverend_rider
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sorry to hear you're still having intermittent problems, Good2U. Mine were resolved when the hub and cameras upgraded themselves to the latest firmware. Have you used the app to check firmware versions for each of your devices?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Good2U wrote:

I've actually seen in this thread a comment about arming/disarming via a web browser.  I've never tried that approach.  Would somebody give a quick overview on how to try that, please? 

It's basically the same thing as using the app.  The interface is slightly different but you still use the Mode tab.  Use https://arlo.netgear.com

RonnieW
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine also takes forever.  Not seeing any movement here in the forum so my guess it that it has been an ongoing issue.  Just started using Arlo earlier this year and finding that switching modes is taking forever. I have two cameras and connecting via Android phone (LG V20).  My guess is that the Netgear/Arlo network is just overloaded.  I did add usb storage to the Netgear router, hoping that will reduce the lag of video feed somewhat as well as reduce the number of times when events are not recorded at all...

cajunss
Initiate
Initiate

I been using the arlo's for a while now. I just notice this also about a month ago. Does not always happen. But seems to be getting worse lately. 

noscamiam
Star
Star
Add me to the list of frustrated users. I think sometimes the status message simply doesn't go away even though the status has been determined. If you move between the mode and devices tab the getting status message is replaced with armed or whatever you wanted it set to. I have 2 Arlo Q cameras and using Android version 7.0. Sometimes it is one camera slow to update status and sometimes the other.
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Fix this **bleep**. For a **bleep**ing networking company this kind of **bleep**ed up slow speed should not be happening.