Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
peergum
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I'd like to be able to capture a picture or a video from the cameras in a more general home automation system I'm developing.

Is there an easy way to do that, from the netgear servers (with some authentication), from the station, or from one of the cameras themselves (although I suspect they get a specific IP range and the central station acts as a router)

Would be nice to have some API to interface with the netgear system in some way.

Thanks,

Phil.

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There is no way to get video from the cameras directly... as you thought, the base sets up it own wifi system to talk only to the cameras and all data from the base to the servers has a form of encryption .

But there have been a few here that have run python (? ) scripting to automate the downloading from the far end... I think you'll get more info from them shortly.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While I use the Python scripts to download my videos automatically, I think you're looking for more automation. Someone recently posted IFTTT details that might be more useful. I have nothing to use to be able to integrate Arlo with so I can't even attempt to make suggestions for that.

WadeShuler
Star
Star

Are you trying to grab 24/7 recording? The batteries would die in like a day.. If you want to record 24/7, this device isn't the right one.

peergum
Aspirant
Aspirant

WadeShuler wrote:

Are you trying to grab 24/7 recording? The batteries would die in like a day.. If you want to record 24/7, this device isn't the right one.

No, I just plan to grab a picture every second or so for at the most 30s... In case the camera is in the garage for instance and I want to monitor the door opening/closing. I don't plan to substitute the security monitoring feature in arlo, just specifically check things while something particular is happening.

peergum
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac wrote:

There is no way to get video from the cameras directly... as you thought, the base sets up it own wifi system to talk only to the cameras and all data from the base to the servers has a form of encryption .

But there have been a few here that have run python (? ) scripting to automate the downloading from the far end... I think you'll get more info from them shortly.

Yeah, I thought so... I'd like that solution if it was an official API, but replaying some captured authentication process doesn't seem either very smart or effective in the long term, I doubt it's 100% reliable.

peergum
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat wrote:

While I use the Python scripts to download my videos automatically, I think you're looking for more automation. Someone recently posted IFTTT details that might be more useful. I have nothing to use to be able to integrate Arlo with so I can't even attempt to make suggestions for that.

I don't want to depend on an external intermediary service + I need to be able to pilot the camera playing myself and watch live. I doubt IFTTT will allow that

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation