Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

I just installed my second (of four) cameras.  I want the 2nd camera to detect motion on a different schedule than the first.  Is there some quick and easy way I can set this up on my PC?  I can't find what I click on to tell each camera independently to detect motion or not and think both are set more or less on Arlo's boilerplate schedule (although I modified it slightly).

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

It seems you haven't grasped the concept of modes, rules and schedules yet.

Basically what you need to do is create rules for your cameras and define modes during which only a certain set of rules apply. Scheduling those modes is the final step.

Let's say you want to have camera A run (i.e. detect motion and record) during the hours of 8 to 10 and camera B from 9 to 11. You have three different combinations of concurrent camera activation, namely A, A and B, and B. So, you need to create three different modes, one for the hour of 8 to 9, one for the hour from 9 to 10 and one for the hour from 10 to 11. Let's call these modes by what cameras are active during each mode, namely and respectively "Camera A only", "Camera A and B" and "Camera B only".

You create two rules, each of which simply detects motion at a given sensitivity percentage and records on that same camera for your predetermined number of seconds, for instance, "If motion detected on camera A at 80% sensitivity, then record video on camera A for 20 seconds and send an alert". You define an analogous rule for camera B.

Now you create your three modes as named above. For mode "Camera A only" you check off the rule that activates motion detection and recording for camera A only. Here, checking off means, the color of the applicable rule's checkmark has to appear in green, all other inactive rules' checkmarks for that mode must be in black. For mode "Camera A and B" you check off both rules and lastly, for mode "Camera B only" you check off only the rule that detects motion and records on camera B.

Finally, you go to the Mode page and activate the schedule. You arrange your modes (by using drag and drop) such that mode "Camera A only" is active from 8 to 9 (on your desired day(s)), then schedule mode "Camera A and B" to be active between 9 and 10 and finally, schedule mode "Camera C" such that it is active from the hours of 10 to 11.

Voila.

You are not limited to creating just one rule for each camera (however, at most only one rule for the same camera can be activated in any given mode at a time; if in a mode you attempt to activate a rule that detects motion on a camera for which another rule is already detecting motion and is active, this previously activated rule is automatically unchecked/deactivated).

To give an example of a use case where multiple rules for the same camera are useful, I found out that I needed to dial down the motion sensitity somewhat on some of my cameras during the day as opposed to night, simply because a motion event is detected too often during the day if I leave it at night's sensitivity.

So for these cameras I created one rule each with 95% motion sensitivity (for nights) and another with 80% sensitivity (for days).

I created a mode called "Day: arm all" and a mode "Night: arm all" and scheduled the day mode to be active starting at 7.30 a.m. and the night mode to begin at 9 p.m. (I have other modes that disable certain cameras entirely during the day and phases where I have no active rules during the day at all.) In the "Day: arm all" mode I checked off the rule that records for those cameras I mentioned at 80% sensitivity and in the "Night: arm all" mode I checked off the rule for the 95% sensitivity on those same cameras - besides checking off additional rules for the other cameras, of course.

So, I hope you understand now how scheduling, modes and rules work.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Basically what you need to do is create rules for your cameras and define modes during which only a certain set of rules apply. Scheduling those modes is the final step.

Let's say you want to have camera A run (i.e. detect motion and record) during the hours of 8 to 10 and camera B from 9 to 11. You have three different combinations of concurrent camera activation, namely A, A and B, and B. So, you need to create three different modes, one for the hour of 8 to 9, one for the hour from 9 to 10 and one for the hour from 10 to 11. Let's call these modes by what cameras are active during each mode, namely and respectively "Camera A only", "Camera A and B" and "Camera B only".

You create two rules, each of which simply detects motion at a given sensitivity percentage and records on that same camera for your predetermined number of seconds, for instance, "If motion detected on camera A at 80% sensitivity, then record video on camera A for 20 seconds and send an alert". You define an analogous rule for camera B.

Now you create your three modes as named above. For mode "Camera A only" you check off the rule that activates motion detection and recording for camera A only. Here, checking off means, the color of the applicable rule's checkmark has to appear in green, all other inactive rules' checkmarks for that mode must be in black. For mode "Camera A and B" you check off both rules and lastly, for mode "Camera B only" you check off only the rule that detects motion and records on camera B.

Finally, you go to the Mode page and activate the schedule. You arrange your modes (by using drag and drop) such that mode "Camera A only" is active from 8 to 9 (on your desired day(s)), then schedule mode "Camera A and B" to be active between 9 and 10 and finally, schedule mode "Camera C" such that it is active from the hours of 10 to 11.

Voila.

You are not limited to creating just one rule for each camera (however, at most only one rule for the same camera can be activated in any given mode at a time; if in a mode you attempt to activate a rule that detects motion on a camera for which another rule is already detecting motion and is active, this previously activated rule is automatically unchecked/deactivated).

To give an example of a use case where multiple rules for the same camera are useful, I found out that I needed to dial down the motion sensitity somewhat on some of my cameras during the day as opposed to night, simply because a motion event is detected too often during the day if I leave it at night's sensitivity.

So for these cameras I created one rule each with 95% motion sensitivity (for nights) and another with 80% sensitivity (for days).

I created a mode called "Day: arm all" and a mode "Night: arm all" and scheduled the day mode to be active starting at 7.30 a.m. and the night mode to begin at 9 p.m. (I have other modes that disable certain cameras entirely during the day and phases where I have no active rules during the day at all.) In the "Day: arm all" mode I checked off the rule that records for those cameras I mentioned at 80% sensitivity and in the "Night: arm all" mode I checked off the rule for the 95% sensitivity on those same cameras - besides checking off additional rules for the other cameras, of course.

So, I hope you understand now how scheduling, modes and rules work.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

There is a typo in my previous post. It should read:

• "...schedule mode "Camera B only" such that it is active from the hours of 10 to 11."

instead of

• "...schedule mode "Camera C" such that it is active from the hours of 10 to 11."
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

very good explaination..

One thing to also remember is that any camera NOT in the mode is turned off

So if you start a mode for camera A and B ONLY  then even if C was on, C will be turned off

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

Schorschi wrote:

You were entirely right.  However, after reading your well-written post several times and giving myself an hour's worth of hands-on experimentation (half of that was realizing the black checkmarks meant something was OFF instead of on...DOH!), I can now say I understand it.  I've now installed 3 of my 4 cams and am proficient enough in making them work the way, and when, I want.

I WOULD however, like to see the scheduler physically expanded a bit so that I can fully read the names of the modes I insert.  Additionally, it would be nice to have a feature that allows me to apply a mode to the exact same times daily, or during the work-week, etc. (e.g., the boilerplate "programs" Arlo comes packaged with).

In any event, THANK YOU for taking the time to patiently explain the rules-modes-scheduling sequence.  Very very nice.

mileshillier
Initiate
Initiate

This is the same question I had. I think I understand the solution, however, If it needs a manuel to discribe a function that should be one of the main user stories, it might need to be re-worked. I would be interested in knowing what other competetors are doing in this space. I also wonder if a User Experience Designer had a go at the usability and interaction.  

Between trying to figure out the interactions and constantly replacing (hard to find) batteries, I am considering going back to a wired solution that I had in my previous place. 

If a few of the interactions and usability issues were fixed this would be a great product I would happily refer to others.

I am more than happy to share some of my experiences to the powers that be if wanted.

TazHawaii
Initiate
Initiate

Well now, I don't think you could have made it more difficult to use if you tried. I'm a computer programmer myself and would have made this effort more user friendly and easy to use. A simplier and more user friendly (and intuitive application) would be as follows:

I have 5 cameras - I want two of those cameras on a schedule while leaving the other three under default operation. I would clecik on Mode> Turn On Schedule and then click on an "Add" button just like under rules. This allows me to configure the schedule I need/want. Once complete, click on another botton called "Camera" to select the camera's I want to run on this schedule; and select the default Rules (or create a new rule) and click on save. This would mean the two camera's selected would run under this schedule  just created using the All Modes On/All Modes Off  I selected when creating the schedule, and using the default rules of 80% sensitivity with 20 second recording. Bam...done....Clean and simple.

What I have now is two camera's running on a selected schedule using the All Mode on/All Modes off and the default rules of 80% sensitivity and 20 sec recording, and it took me less than 4 minutes to apply. The best part of this is that it hasn't effected the remaining 3 camera's in any way.

SA3
Tutor
Tutor

Sqiz
Guide
Guide

I want to setup two different schedules for two cameras - the web interface is so mindnumbingly confusing I'm considering asking for a refund.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sqiz wrote:

I want to setup two different schedules for two cameras - the web interface is so mindnumbingly confusing I'm considering asking for a refund.

If you want dif scheds for two cameras, you need prob to make a couple extra Modes.

Mode 1 Cam A on

Mode 2 Cam B on

Default ARMED is all on, so A & B would be on

DISARMED is all off ( but on sched, if not on then its off )

Then you have to add the modes to the schedule for start / off times as needed for the cams you want on.

With the schedule. if the scheduled time goes thru MIDNIGHT, you have to make it in two parts (first day up to midnight, next day after midnight )

SA3
Tutor
Tutor
Is someone at netgear looking into this? Such a simple ask and so complicated solutions? I'm also considering asking for a refund if this is not fixed...
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It's a learning curve even for the 'old timers' here since the new software... but no overly difficult.  Just take it a step at a time

Sqiz
Guide
Guide

Sorry but I just don't think it is possible. As far as I can telll you can only have one scheduled attached to a base station and within that you can only have one mode because mode selection works as a radio button turning the others off.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're right but there's the possibility of nested modes that may do what you want. The nested mode uses one camera to start another camera or other operation that the Mode and rules allow. I haven't used them myself but others have. There's apparently an issue with them right now with the latest updates so it may not be an option at least for a while.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sqiz wrote:

Sorry but I just don't think it is possible. As far as I can telll you can only have one scheduled attached to a base station and within that you can only have one mode because mode selection works as a radio button turning the others off.

Maybe I misunderstood you... and exactly what yr trying to do

Correct, you can have only 1 schedule AND only 1 mode running at a time. A new mode over writes the previous

If you want to control 2 cameras at diff times you must break it down into more Modes to cover all the options needed

Sqiz
Guide
Guide

Okay I think I've sussed it !

• Work in terms of programming the base station not the cameras.
  • Understand that the system needs you to do all the thinking up front (as if it was a 30 year old program).
  • Decide the core time periods in which all cameras can be active and schedule those as armed.
  • Then work outwards from those time periods adding modes with a cut down selection of active cameras.
  • Pray you don't need many cameras because this is going to be a swine to alter!

yay - success.

thanks for your help and perseverence 🙂

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sqiz wrote:

thanks for your help and perseverence 🙂

Good to hear... You should see my schedule with 8 different modes !  🙂

Once you get the epiphany as to how it works ,it's not hard

Rayosun
Initiate
Initiate

Sqiz wrote:

Sqiz, You've got that right!!

WayneRemines
Initiate
Initiate
Sorry for your confusion Sqiz. I, myself, find these kind of "problems", fun. I just keep digging and experimenting.
TheBigGExpress
Apprentice
Apprentice

Scheduling is much more difficult than necessary.

Your users are trying to help you sell more cameras.

Please take a look at how other manufacturers are handling this.

G115
Aspirant
Aspirant
Lonestar22
Initiate
Initiate

Thank you for this detail, I also have spent about 30 minutes re-reading it and trying to make work unsuccessfully.  This is my same scenario but I"m not able to replicate the solution provided.  Side note - agreed this is way too complex. My company does UX research, design, and development of mobile apps and web.  Our sales team will be calling Arlo asap to help correct this UI before customers start leaving in droves.

So I can't figure out how to create different schedules for different modes.  Also, how to activate several modes at once. I can only select one mode at a time.  I try to edit the "schedule" mode but can only set one start/stop time which has to be applied across all cameras.  There is no option to schedule inside a mode or rule.

Any suggestions before I try to contact Arlo directly?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, you create modes with rules in them. Set each one up as a standalone using however many cameras you need in each one. Once your modes are set up, you add them to the schedule. Only one at a time is possible so that's why each mode is important to set up as a standalone. For instance, you might have all cameras active for nighttime and that would be scheduled for midnight till 7AM as well as 10PM till midnight. Then the daytime mode might just have a front and back door camera active which would be scheduled from 7AM till 5PM. Finally, a third mode would only have outdoor cameras active and be set in the schedule for 5PM till 10PM.

The modes and rules define how cameras operate and the schedule says when the individual modes will be active.

G115
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, 

to create secadule for each comera,

1-you must create indevedule mode for each camera first,

when create mode for all cameras ( also name each of your camera for idatification )

Select Secadules

2- you should see a plus sign " + " select the plus sysmble on right top hand corner on you screen.you should see all your cameras you created mode earlier, select each indevedule camera and create the scadules you want ( create scadules at least few hours a head or more )

If you like to manage your cameras manually rather than creating scadules.

You can choose to Record or Do Nothing ( not record) for each camera indeveduly,

For example if all your cameras are Armed select the Armed option the each camera then change the mode but you must save each change you make,

good luck

let me know how get on

george 

Mustang2007
Tutor
Tutor

Here is a SOP I created for users that have a hard time

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rtxrky27uf2gkn1/AADFGhKGVLlsPsvfpOl6sgyda?dl=0