Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
miloman2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

I really like the features of this system but I have read negatives regarding the time taken to start recording following motion detection. Can anyone tell me what the average delay is? Also opinions of whether this is a common problem.

Thanks,

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

miloman2016 wrote:

I really like the features of this system but I have read negatives regarding the time taken to start recording following motion detection. Can anyone tell me what the average delay is? Also opinions of whether this is a common problem.

Thanks,

Mike

There is a slight delay with the Arlo cameras... my delay is aprox 2 sec after entering the FOV of the camera. Some have more and some much more, but i really think there is a method to properly setting up the camera , based on your location, to maximize the recording and minimizing the delay.

( and outside is harder than inside due to more possible false triggers and adjustments to overcome these )

I must have move my cameras 3-4 x before optimizing the location due to the slight delay.

Example;  Orig setup I place the camera at my door facing out...sometimes with delay, a delivery like ups, I got the back of the person leaving. So in this case the solution was to move the camera out from the door , facing the door.  Now as anyone comes inbound, they trigger the recording. Even with the delay, a person running to my door, I get their back and then get the face when exiting...

As to the Arlo Q camera, it has a pre-record buffer ( reg Arlo doesn't ) so it captures movement without a delay problem ( buffer added to cover delay ), but these are not rated for outdoor use.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

The average is 5-10 seconds delay- Motion detection is a joke !!!!!!!!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Delay is caused by various things.  Long delays are due to camera location and/or signal strenght/interference. I've had ~2 second delays since day one.  Not every situation can be handled by any particular camera.

Thanks for your (non-)helpful suggestion.

miloman2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for answers. Delay cannot be tolerated in a serious security system. The delay must be down to activating the internet address and uploading. I will need a system that records locally and then backs up to the internet. Shame this system does not do this, good cameras, it would beat all competition.

Mike

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation