Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Continuous recording with motion?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
ArtZL
Aspirant
Aspirant
When motion is detected, does it keep recording until a few seconds after the motion stops? Or does it stop recording after a certain number of seconds even if motion continues?
7 REPLIES 7
ArtZL
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ArtZL wrote:
When motion is detected, does it keep recording until a few seconds after the motion stops? Or does it stop recording after a certain number of seconds even if motion continues?

Arlo records for the time set in the mode ( 10 sec to 2 mins ) , then will re-set ( about 5-10 secs ) then if still motion detect, repeat.

I belive the Q camera has an option to record till motion stops up to 300 seconds

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Sharpie958
Aspirant
Aspirant

There should be an option to continous record as long as there is motion.  Even if it needs to split into multiple events.  There is a gap currently between events even as active motion is going on, as others have mentioned which loses alot of video information.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Because of the battery-operated nature, that isn't going to happen.  What you can do in the meantime is to change the recording length to make sure you get what you need.  I use a longer time but very short could work, too, as long as motion is still detectable once the camera resets.  That's the big issue - motion got triggered in one location and is apt to have moved so may not be detected later.  You just have to try different scenarios.

Sharpie958
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm not sure what you mean by the "battery-operated nature" comment.  Because in your scenario, if there is detectable motion, the camera starts recording and stops after the designated time (whether it's 10s or 2min).  Resets and will start recording again if motion is still detected.

In my request I am asking that if there is detactable motion, the camera starts recording and will stop when there is no motion (maybe 5s after no motion).  If it has to, split the recording into chunks vs one long stream.

In either scenario, the camera will still be using the battery if there is motion, Yours, could result in more battery usage, because it will still record for the designated length even if there is no motion.  While there is a "pause" in recording after each designated time recording length, it will generally consume the same amount of battery (will it not?).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sharpie958 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by the "battery-operated nature" comment.  Because in your scenario, if there is detectable motion, the camera starts recording and stops after the designated time (whether it's 10s or 2min).  Resets and will start recording again if motion is still detected.

In my request I am asking that if there is detactable motion, the camera starts recording and will stop when there is no motion (maybe 5s after no motion).  If it has to, split the recording into chunks vs one long stream.

In either scenario, the camera will still be using the battery if there is motion, Yours, could result in more battery usage, because it will still record for the designated length even if there is no motion.  While there is a "pause" in recording after each designated time recording length, it will generally consume the same amount of battery (will it not?).

Maybe I misundertood.  Thanks for the clarification.

The battery-operated nature simply means nothing is likely to be added that would cause additional battery drain such as continuous recording during motion.  The Q camera has this option but it's powered unlike the wireless cameras.  The wireless cameras will simply record for the specified amount of time, stop, reset and IF there's motion that the PIR can detect will start recording again.  So, the Q camera would be the current answer to your quest.

As for your last question, I don't know what's happening in the pause/reset time between recordings.  If the camera is still sending data to the base, yes, the battery will be depleted.  If it's a matter of the base/server connection then I'd think, but don't know for sure, that the camera would be idle like any other non-recording time.

My preference (and mine alone) is to try to ensure I get as much recording as possible regardless of battery life as opposed to possibly missing something.  A missed event is worthless while changing batteries a bit more frequently is more in the PITA category.

Sharpie958
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just as an FYI.  Looks like Netgear is looking into building it into the wireless models beased on their firmware release notes for Q.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Release-Notes-Arlo-Q-FW-1-8-0-5551-9th-June-...

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation