Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can only 1 person be authorized to activate ARLO cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
JB32
Aspirant
Aspirant

When setting up Arlo wireless outdoor/indoor cameras, my wife's email is the primary account activator. Through her phone, she can arm and disarm the cameras. How can I get this on my phone to do the same?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You can use the same master account but when one of you logs in, the other will be logged out. The better answer is the use Settings, Grant Access to your email address. Make sure the cameras are selected and decide if you need the extra privileges available. Follow the email invitation directions. Once you're logged in with your own account, both can be checking simultaneously.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You can use the same master account but when one of you logs in, the other will be logged out. The better answer is the use Settings, Grant Access to your email address. Make sure the cameras are selected and decide if you need the extra privileges available. Follow the email invitation directions. Once you're logged in with your own account, both can be checking simultaneously.
AncientGeekVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:

On this topic, I had a concerning experience this week and wonder if anyone else has had this same experience.  I've submitted a case to Netgear.  Here is what I experienced.

I set up a new camera system and invited a few family members to use the cameras.  One family member then forwarded her inviation to her husband whom I had not yet invited.  He then successfully used the link that was forwarded to him, to gain access to the cameras.  He was logged in to his own Netgear/Arlo account and not the one I invited.  After hearing this I asked for confirmation as to what had happened and then I performed a test where I removed access to one of the cameras from the first family member's permission list.  The husband also lost access to that camera.  So it appears that he shares the permissions I granted to the wife even though I never invited him directly...he just reused her invitation that she forwarded to him.  If this is accurate, it represents a pretty serious security flaw that Netgear needs to fix ASAP.

You may want to test this yourself to see if my experience is shared by all and if so, be very careful about inviting people other than a very close family member until this is resolved.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes ... be careful WHO you give access to and who can see.

BTW, that is esp why you can grant levels of access to the cameras AND in SETTINGS for each camera is a toggle to turn ON/OFF.

This toggle is mainly for privacy...if OFF, shared users CAN NOT view camera even if granted access and only primary can toggle.

As to the above, by all mean send the messsg to Netgear Support ...if they don't know, they can't fix

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JB32
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sending the invitation to a specific email account does not mean that email account needs to be the username for the shared account. When a user receives an email with an invitation link, logging in to an existing or creating a new account from the page produced by clicking that link is how the sharing takes place.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation