Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera too cold to operate, would something like heat tape work?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
paganini
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have run into a similar problem that others have noted.  It went below -20 C here in New Brunswick and I am getting the message "Your camera needs to warm up before you can use it."  I have the Alro Pro wireless 4 camera set with the latest firmware as of Feb 1st 2018.

I was thinking, would it be possible to wrap the camera in heat wire tape and then plug the camera and the heat wire tape in via extension cord.  Would the heat wire tape give it just enough warmth to keep the camera within operating parameters?  Think about it, the heat wire tape is low voltage so I don't think it would present any electrical problems.  Perhaps wrapping the camera in heat wire tape and then improvising a case for it, perhaps made out of some kind of material that can handle the outdoors. 

I would be willing to try it and run an extension cord from inside to outside to try it.  Perhaps Netgear could create a heat wire type case for the camera that could run off of the solar panel.

2 REPLIES 2
brh
Master
Master

@paganini

I don't know very much about heating cables or tape, but you know the official answer is going to be a big NO.

After reading this article I really have my doubts.

https://www.oemheaters.com/topic/heating-tape

1) I would never wrap anything like that directly around the camera.

2) It looks like you need a thermostat to precisely control the temperature.

3) Even though it is low voltage there can be enough heat to create a fire.

4) I think that running an extension cord from inside to outside would be against building codes and could void your home owner's insurance.

Unless I am wrong here or have missed something I think it is too much trouble and not worth the risk.

Brian

paganini
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wonder if there is very low heat level of heat tape that would not get too hot. 

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation