Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
ivto
Follower
Follower

I've been using Arlo for 4 days so far and I am generally happy with it.  One thing it can improve is the camera wake up time. Currently the camera starts rolling a few seconds after motion is detected.  Hope future firmware versions can turn it on instantly or at least shorten it.

13 REPLIES 13
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ivto,

I am glad to hear you're happy with the Arlo system.  There are a few things you could try to improve the motion detection.  Make sure your camera is positioned at least 7 feet off the ground at a downward angle of of about 45 degrees.  Try to position the camera so that side to side motion will cross it's view.  You also want to make sure the camera is not pointed toward objects with a reflective surface. You can find more information about How motion detection works here.

You can also try increasing the camera's motion sensitivity settings.  We are always looking for ways to improve the system so let us know if this helps!

Thank you!

JamesC

AnthonyArmato
Luminary
Luminary

None of those suggestions increase the time it takes for the camera to "start" recording after detecting motion. This is something that NEEDS to be addressed via firmware.

Phlier
Star
Star

JamesC wrote:

ivto,

I am glad to hear you're happy with the Arlo system.  There are a few things you could try to improve the motion detection.  Make sure your camera is positioned at least 7 feet off the ground at a downward angle of of about 45 degrees.  Try to position the camera so that side to side motion will cross it's view.  You also want to make sure the camera is not pointed toward objects with a reflective surface. You can find more information about How motion detection works here.

You can also try increasing the camera's motion sensitivity settings.  We are always looking for ways to improve the system so let us know if this helps!

Thank you!

JamesC

As Anthony said, it's not a matter of "Improve the motion detection" (Quote from your post) at all. It's a matter of improving the length of time it takes the camera to start taking video once motion detection has been tripped.

As it is right now, it's:

Motion detected, start recording.......4 seconds pass.....recording starts.

I'm assuming that's the amount of time it takes the camera to come out of sleep mode. And as the OP stated originally, hopefully it can be improved; a lot can happen in four seconds time.

SAP_Pete
Initiate
Initiate

Can we get some traction on this request ? I have idiots banging on my door and leave, and they're gone before the camera wakes up, or I just their back for a second. I've been able to walk up the driveway, punch in the code to open the garage door, and go inside, and while the camera is triggered, all it records is an empty driveway.

I can't set either camera to point at a further away spot, or every car driving by is triggering the cameras. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have raised this concern with our dev team and will be collecting more information.  If the results of our investigation reveal a bug is causing the issue, we will actively work to implement a fix as soon as possible.  The Arlo team greatly appreciates the community bringing this to our attention and I encourage you to continue providing feedback!

Thank you!

JamesC

KLG
Tutor
Tutor
I purchased the 2 camera Arlo system after a lot of research. I read reviews about the record start up problem and how some customers returned their Arlo because of this. I have had the cameras for 3 days now. Set up was easy and every feature about the system is great, except the delay in recording. I want to record the few cars that drive by my house. Hoever, with a 10 second record setting, I often only receive recording of the last two seconds, enough to catch the tailights! These cars are only going 10 miles an hour. I also sometimes only see the back of someone who has come to the front door, which was the primary reason for the purchase. Please let me know when this problem is corrected (if correction is even possible).
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Positioning for motion detection is important as is sensitivity.  Have you tried increasing the sensitivity?  Have you tried different locations so motion is more across the sensor than directly to/from it?  Some have reported that motion detection seems better at the edges of the sensor's view and I can mostly agree with that (might be related to the edge being more across the sensor).

KLG
Tutor
Tutor

I have motion sensitivity set at 95%.  Camera placement is for objects going across the field of vision.  Camera height is 10 feet with slight (not 45 degree as recommended) downward tilt.  I read a Netgear recommendation that the ideal camera height placement is 7 feet (I know they say 7 feet or higher).  I'm afraid to lower the cameras due to increased theft potential.  Since this is my first experience with security cameras, perhaps I'm expecting too much!  Could be all security cameras have a delayed "wake up time".  I think I read somewhere that because the camera is battery operated the "wake up" time is increased.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The battery issue may well have an effect on startup although I have a camera that points more or less straight out from the house towards the street, monitoring the driveway and sidewalk to the front door. If I open the door (opens in) and step out the camera will trigger even though I'm not in recording view. I've turned down sensitivity some so I don't get every car driving by but it will get people within about 20 feet, even those walking up the driveway which is almost directly towards the camera. Mine is 7 to 8 feet up and probably not 45 degrees down but more like 30. Maybe the downward tilt helps some?

farryf
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree the camera wake-up time is too long.  It starts recording after the event has passed.  Definitely needs a firmware update.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't believe a firmware update will fix anything.  A good lag time is about 2 seconds - if your lag is longer than that the recommendation would be to reposition your camera so motion is across the FOV, not directly at it, perhaps starting near an edge. Don't get too much scene in the view, only that area of actual need for motion detection.  It's also possible that the WiFi connection is weak or has interference.

marcoinpb
Star
Star

. . . The Arlo team greatly appreciates the community bringing this to our attention and I encourage you to continue providing feedback. .,. .

Blaming your customers for advising repeatedly that the delayed recording is systemic to the design is not addressing the design problem. Perhaps contracting an outside development firm may lead to curing the functional problem. Unfortunate that this very attractive system is failing because of an apparent design defect. Please attend to it. 

supaflyz
Guide
Guide
Yes I notice lag too. It is very inconsistent. Sometimes it would pick up right away and sometimes a lag
Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation