Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
austie
Follower
Follower

I have noticed the camera starts recording 10 seconds after initil detection which means the subject may have walked past the camera in that first 10 seconds.

Can the programme be changed to start recording on initial detection?

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There is a slight delay between motion detect and recording.... There are a few threads on this. 10 seconds sounds excessive , mine is under 2 seconds.

But, the best way to eliminate most of the timing lag is 1)position of camera 2)adjust of sensitivity ("more-less videos")

Try and position the camera so the subject crosses the field of view as opposed to directly into /away from the camera and then adjust the sensitivity for capture with few false alerts.

It is a trial and error process, but most end up with decent results.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

Just in the form of comparison, mine lags in the 3-5 second range.  I'm not so keen on catching every bit of movement so much as I just want a short identifying video of somebody lingering around or trying to break into one of my doors or windows.  Unless someone is lightening quick, I'm sure there will be plenty of time to catch that, so for at least my purposes the lag -- which everybody experiences in varying degrees -- poses no detrimental problem. 

If you truly do have a 10-second lag, I'd think that would render your Arlo fairly ineffective.  Unless that can be remedied (upgraded router/sensitivity settings?) you might consider returning your purchase.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, my delay varies according to size, direction of movement, distance from the camera, etc. Some are pretty quick, others capture kind of the tail end.  Camera position would help but what I'm trying to capture doesn't allow me a lot of flexibility short of putting up a post, mounting a camera and screaming, "Security camera here!"

BillyPaul89
Aspirant
Aspirant

So far I have to say I'm very disappointed with this camera. The lag time between motion detection and recording means that the subjects are through the frame before the camera starts rolling. So I'm left with 30 seconds of no motion scenery. 

Is there no way to eliminate that lag time?

If not, the camera is worthless.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation