Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
BMoffitt
Initiate
Initiate

Hi all-

I have two Arlo cameras mounted outside; and I am very dissapointed in the security feature of capturing video on motion detect. The problem I see is that the camera does start recording on a motion detection, but its about 5-6sec later than the event. I have several cases captured where a person triggered the motion detect; but when started to record- the person was already out of view.

I hope that Netgear engineers hear this complaint; and fix with a sw update.

Anyone else see this slownesss of motion detect to start of recording?

Thanks...

Barry

33 REPLIES 33
AmyJoy
Aspirant
Aspirant
What system did you buy?
Boat52
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Arlo and the Arlo Q. The Arlo Q seems to be faster and much more sensitive.

BMoffitt
Initiate
Initiate

I dont see a difference between the Arlo and Arlo Pro- as far as the motion detect time. A thief can quickly run across the cameras field of view- and not be captured.

DigitalAlien
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is one of the biggest reason I am about to ditch Arlo for another camera system. I wish NetGear would address this as it is a HUGE issue for these cameras to be worth using for security. Mine are bad, super slow to start recording. Someone could literally run grab my camera and smash it to bits before it even started recording. This and the lack of some other features you can only get on the expensive "pro" model make it worth looking into another camera setup. 

Paulus69
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

What wired syster did you go with?

What are the best ones out there?

Lipps
Tutor
Tutor

I have recently installed tha Arlo Pro 2, and wished I had seen this thread prior to the purchase!

The cameras are all mounted as per recomendations, and yet are very slow to react. I did some experimentation: Arlo Smart seems to be causing issues as well as increasing the latency in the video recording. By removing that feature from  several cameras it seems to function a little more as advertised. The downside is no motion zones in the battery operated cameras. Another issue (which I will have to mention in another thread) is when the Arlo Smart function is activated, your rule where the triggering of one camera initiates the recording of another is non functional. 

I too am very disapointed in this system

Boat52
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have given up using my Arlo for serious security monitoring outside my house. I use them to see what is going on real time and instead have installed two Nest cameras. Nest's continuous recording and line voltage power with wifi direct to my router instead of a hub like Arlo, has solved my problem of missing events. I do like Arlo's text alert feature, something Nest presently does not have. The Arlo Q seems to have less of a lag and operates without batteries, making it a good option by mounting it inside on a window. I have laminated glass and not thermopane windows. Turned off infrared and have a small, high efficiency landscape light illuminating the critical area outside all night. Amazon sells brackets that can be window mounted and they work very well with the small sized Arlo and the Arlo Q.

Staceyea
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is rediculous. There is at least a ten second delay between movement detection and start of recording. I have read all of the possible fixes but none have helped. unless it takes you ten seconds to walk up to the front door it records nothing. I have tried different positions/ placement. I have adjusted the sesitivity. These things are useless. Is there anything else I can do. 

DigitalAlien
Aspirant
Aspirant

As a follow-up I have purchased several Wyze Cams (they are available on Amazon for about $27) and these things are awesome. They have Wifi but are not battery powered. However the trade-off is worth it. These things have continuos recording via SD Card and free notification cloud storage of 12 second video clips (do wish this was a bit longer). Best part of these though... you see about a second BEFORE the motion is triggered which is nice. There are downsides to these cameras (ie: not fully wireless) but at the price (these are worth more IMHO than what they sell for) you get a lot of nice features and a MUCH better camera than these Arlos cameras.