Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
netcam
Star
Star

Cameras may be very power efficient but looks like base station consumes a lot of electricity.

What is power consumption of base station with 2 cameras?

Why Netgear does not publish this information in spec?

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can't easily get to my base station to see what's on either it or the wall wart power supply but I don't think it's that significant.  The number of cameras has no bearing on consumption although the number and length of videos transmitted would have some effect.

Maybe someone here who can look at the base and supply can post what's marked.  Alternatively, checking the contents of a box at Best Buy would work.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

netcam wrote:

Cameras may be very power efficient but looks like base station consumes a lot of electricity.

What is power consumption of base station with 2 cameras?

Why Netgear does not publish this information in spec?

The base station specs for power are less than the base power supply puts out ( which is 12v @ 1.5a )

So an educated guess would be about 3/4 to 1a current at 12v. That's not a lot , at least no more than an average wifi router/switch

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

All I know is that I was running my microwave oven, clothes dryer and electronic oven at the same time yesterday and [the base station] didn't cause a trip on my circuit breakers.  So I'm good!  Cat Very Happy

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

really doubt they're all on the same curcuit ( esp since the dryer would be a 220 line )  🙂

Morse is faster than texting!
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

LOL - you don't know much about my 1939 home.  Lots of uh... special character. 

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Does anyone know the energy usage of an Arlo base station and the Arlo Q?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I haven't run tests on just those but previously I had measured about 40 watts total for my cable modem, Asus RT-N66U router, base station and a dormant USB hard drive to help figure out possible power needs for a UPS. When I get a change I'll stick my Kill-A-Watt on just the individual items you asked about.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just measured both the base station and Q c amera using a Kill-A-Watt:

Base - 0.1A, 5W

Q - 0.08A, 3W

Edit:  Neither showed an increase when using live view.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation