Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Thinking about buying the arlo 4 camera system. Have questions

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
supaflyz
Guide
Guide

Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying the 4 camera arlo from best buy.  I have a few questions to ask.  How good should my connection should be?  I have 18 mpbs down and 2 mpbs upload.  Its more around 22 mpbs download.  Second question is could I install these cameras outside?  It advertise as all weather cameras.  I'm just afraid moisture or rain might get in it.  Second how much is there a lag?  I have reading a lot about the lag issue? 

I have a Android phone and my mom has Apple.  I understand that the Arlo has an app for each operating system.  Will it notify me whenever I have a motion detection on the camera? 

3 REPLIES 3
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
Your bandwidth is plenty. Upload of 1mbps is supposedly required. Download bandwidth is pretty much meaningless for system operation, because motion detection causes video to be uploaded to the cloud, not downloaded.

Outside installation is what these cameras were built for. Absolutely no problem to expose to the elements.

Lag is definitely there. Some people can't cope with it, others put up with it. Make sure you keep an eye on your return deadline and be prepared to return it if you can't cope with it.

(Push) notification will be on Android and iOS devices alike. In addition you can configure an email alert be sent, which is device independent. Push notification occurs a few seconds after motion is detected. Email alert is sent when video clip is done recording, which you can configure to be anywhere between 10 and 120 seconds long.
supaflyz
Guide
Guide

what is this 10 second recording?  So the motion has to be 10 secons long before the camera starts recording?  How long does it record only 10 seconds?

Geoff
Luminary
Luminary

The 10 second recording is the smallest amount of time the camera will record for. 

You can adjust the recording time from 10 seconds to 120 seconds.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation