Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Will Netgear R6700 router work as base station?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
slim4684
Tutor
Tutor

I just installed Arlo Q at my parents and need to add 3-4 Arlo wire-free cameras to monitor about an acre. They live way out in the country and get wifi via Direct TV subsidiary (so it is not strong or reliable), and will upgrade to Netgear AC1750-R6700 router. Can I run all the Arlo cameras directly through the R6700? I'm reading that the Arlo Base Station has limited range.

Also-is there a way to save video locally (Micro SD card/DVR system) to protect/backup recordings even if the internet fails?

I'll have everything connected to a mid-range APC battery backup system as well (because they often lose power too!)

IMPORTANT-I SET THIS UP USING MY FATHERS EMAIL-WHICH HE NEVER CHECKS-COULD I GET NOTIFICATIONS TO MY EMAIL?

Thank you all!

3 REPLIES 3
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

slim4684 wrote:

I just installed Arlo Q at my parents and need to add 3-4 Arlo wire-free cameras to monitor about an acre. They live way out in the country and get wifi via Direct TV subsidiary (so it is not strong or reliable), and will upgrade to Netgear AC1750-R6700 router. Can I run all the Arlo cameras directly through the R6700?

No, the only Netgear router that will work with Arlo is the R7000, and then supposedly it will only work with a beta firmware that isn't even available on the Netgear site. A beta firmware download link is floating around somewhere in the forum.

slim4684 wrote:

I'm reading that the Arlo Base Station has limited range.

Actually, the Arlo base station is supposedly one of the stronger devices that sets up an access point. Official maximum range is somewhere near 300 ft (unobstructed, clear line of sight).

slim4684 wrote:

Also-is there a way to save video locally (Micro SD card/DVR system) to protect/backup recordings even if the internet fails?

You're in luck. The Arlo Q Plus just came out which offers local storage to a memory card and apparently doesn't require an Internet connection for recording. Though, currently, the wirefree Arlos do not support local storage.

slim4684 wrote:

IMPORTANT-I SET THIS UP USING MY FATHERS EMAIL-WHICH HE NEVER CHECKS-COULD I GET NOTIFICATIONS TO MY EMAIL?

Yes, if you set up a friend account and grant (admin) access to it, and include that email address in all motion detection notifications, you can get notified by email.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your better bet, if appropriate, may be to use multiple base stations attached to WiFi extenders to cover the area you need.  WiFi extenders for the Q cameras could be useful, too.

slim4684
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for you speedy response to my questions!

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation