Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Target_Acquired
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello all.  I have 11 cameras about 6+ weeks now and all original batteries are still running fine, 3 bars each.

To prepare for the first ones to run down, I purchased a set of 12 replacements (not rechargable) at a local Batteries+Bulbs store just to have them on hand.

But long-term, I would like to find a good rechargable brand or two, along with a charger that has a 4 or (better yet) an 8 battery capacity. 

I see the other thread here with some battery brands listed, and I have done some research on Amazon and other places, and I don't really see what I'm looking for:

Battery:

1.  Are CR123 Rechargables all Lithium, or are they NiMH, or do they come in different varieties?

1.  High(er) capacity rechargable CR123.  Eventually, a couple of my cameras will be mounted in a position where a ladder would be needed to change the batteries.  To limit aerial battery changings, I would like to have most of my batteries go for at least a month, but I see that mah ratings can really be dodgy, so it's really hard to tell what would be a good selection.

2.  This relates to #1 above.  Some of my cameras never really get activated, for example, those in an enclosed no-traffic back yard where nobody goes, indoor cams that are only turned on when nobody is home, etc.  This only applies to NiMH Batteries I think, but for these, a pre-charged rechargable (such as the Ray-Oh-Vac or Duracel "green-tops") would probably last longer because they tend to self-drain a lot more slowly.

Charger:

I have one of those big Maha 8-slot chargers in my home office and it does D, C, AA, and AAA and will charge them in odd numbers, will do a "slow charge", and also has a "recondition" feature.  I love this charger and think it was $110 well-spent about 8 years ago.  It gets used at least on a weekly basis, and once in awhile I have to charge more batteries than it can take!  So I would like to find a good charger of similar quality for rechargable CR123's, and better yet if it can also charge other battery types because it's not unusual for me to recharge 12 AA or AAAs all together for camera and/or flash usage, so I'd definitely put it to good use.

I will continue to look at the other threads on this topic, but in the meantime, any ideas on either batteries or charger would be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Real simple and maybe not what you want to hear.....

I have not yet seen a rechargeable 123 type battery that is rated ( real world rated ) more than half of the non-rechargeable ( oem batteries are 1500 mahr ).

I have OEM batteries that are still full 3 bars that were installed back in 2/24/15 ( use in spec of Arlo which is about 4 mins per day )

I have currently running/testing 3 types of 16340/123 cells @ 3.7volts , listed rated at anywhere from 2300 mahr to 1000 mahr ( they all are really 450-700mahr ).

Running GTLs( 3.7v/2300mahr), Ultrafires(3.7 v/2300mahr), Tangsfire (3.7v/1000mahr)..... yes, you need the right charger for them as they are Li-ion

So far the average for me is about 40days normal use.... the tangsfire seem to be running a bit better than the other two, but I'm only on day 24 so it's a hard call at this point.  20 more days will tell!

As to where to buy them... do a web search ad they will turn up for best prices

Any other questions ...ask !

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Current charger is the Nitcore D4, great charger, no complaints!

As for batteries, well at least the ones tested on this forum, the TangsFire so far look to be a good buy.  If you only use the cameras at spec, 4 minutes or less, then UltraFires, GTL's or their equivalents, should work for you.

I am currently testing a different brand battery and should have results to post in the next month or so.

-Robert
Nhellie
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have been using XTAR WP2 charger, has some great features like changing current options and stops when battery is full it also works fine as a power bank for emergencies. 

poweratom
Guide
Guide

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just installed 4 cameras today and started researching on rechargeables. It seems like there's still no clear winner for the RCR123 batteries yet.

A couple of you were testing new brands. Any luck? Are they any better?

It's really frustrating that Netgear doesn't do some tests of their own and perhaps partner with a couple of brands to help put this question to rest. Where's the Eneloop of the RCR123s?!!!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

poweratom wrote:

A couple of you were testing new brands. Any luck? Are they any better?

Out of the three I tested, GTLs and Ultrafires lasted an avg of 44 days normal use ( 4 mins per day ).

The Tangsfires lasted 55 days normal use.

So for me the winner was Tangsfires 3.7v li-ion 1000mahr rated

BTW.... in real world tangsfires come out to about 700 mahr and the other two rated at 2300mahr were really more like 600.

Go with a "KNOWN" brand that is accurately rated and of known quality

In My cams, I still use all 3 sets, I just swap them out at 30-35 days or so to make sure even if used more then normal I have a working camera

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

EagleTac's 50 days at 7 minutes a day use.  I highly recommend it.

-Robert
poweratom
Guide
Guide

Thanks for posting back, guys.

I don't understand how these batteries can get away with claims of high mah when real world deliveries are way below what the label says.

Having said that, I read in a different forum (where they talk a lot about batteries) one poster insisted that there's no way that a RCR123 can physically pack in anything more than 650mah no matter what the label says: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?167685-Highest-quality-capacity-3-7v-RCR123

After having read what you guys (and others in this forum) have reported, now I'm inclined to believe him (mind you, that thread was from 2007!).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

poweratom wrote:

I don't understand how these batteries can get away with claims of high mah when real world deliveries are way below what the label says.

After having read what you guys (and others in this forum) have reported, now I'm inclined to believe him (mind you, that thread was from 2007!).

It easy to skew the results...

1) If the normal test draw is 100ma for the life of the cell, with a 1500mahr battery , it should last 15 hours ( +/-)

it's just that the higher draw level will not last as long as a very low draw... so they change the settings of the test and draw at 10 ma which in effect will give a higher rating ( like Capt Kirk with Kobayashi Maru test )

2) they just plain lie... who you going to complain to and when word gets out, they change the shrink wrap label.

I can still say and will repeat, I have not yet seen a 123 /16340 cell thats more than half  the rating of the OEM non-rechargeable

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Totally agree!

Though if I can push the EagleTac's to two months, I'll be happy.  I think i can achieve that by decreasing the sensitivity by getting less false triggers and averaging less than the 7 minutes a day. 

I have started that with the next run of EagleTac's and I look forward to my final results.

-Robert
Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation