Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Jody
Luminary
Luminary

I have reviewed a ton on post regarding rechargeable batteries on the Arlo. Most don't provide a name of the rechargeable battery they are using or the name of the recharge...

Please post this information as it will help us all when one of us discovers the perfect battery and recharge for our units..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

TomMac wrote:

Warning to all !

mkar wrote:

GTL battery light blue blasted and the camera got fire. Nice that netgear is replacing the whole unit.

Sorry to hear, good to hear its getting replaced...

I do believe myself and others have mentioned the safety factor of cells with PCB ( over/under volatge protection ).

I also know that many of the china cells are crap compared to 'known' brands in both rating and quality.  The only thing going for them is the cheap price.

You're right @TomMac about the safety factor. I recommend checking out Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries that includes BATTERY WARNINGS AND SAFETY.

Thank you all who have contributed to this discussion.

Kind Regards,

ChristineT

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I have reviewed a ton on post regarding rechargeable batteries on the Arlo. Most don't provide a name of the rechargeable battery they are using or the name of the recharge...
Please post this information as it will help us all when one of us discovers the perfect battery and recharge for our units..

Mostly you don't see a name/brand cause the ones trying rechargeables are still in testing stages.

The lastest f/w update for the cameras started giving valid readings on the voltage of batteries.( a week ago or so )

If you read the posts, there are several names used so far, I've been using the GTL type 3.7v cels rom ebay.. others from other sites... really no one wants to give bad info so there is no real data as to a great type yet.

keep reading, time will tell all.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Jody
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks Tom, That makes sense...

A few yrs ago, I picked up AA recharable from China, and they were trash...Off-brand brand name...Just didn't want to get back in that boat!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

read the problems re sizes on page two of this thread... last 2 posts

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargeable-batteries-for-use-with-Arlo-camera...

Jody
Luminary
Luminary

I picked these up from Amazon "GTL 16340 3.7V 2300mAh Rechargeable Lithium Batteries Red" I paid 17.88 for the 8 pack....Took a while to get these (almost a month. shipped from China". They are a little longer than orig battery but fit nice..I ran one camera two hour straight (daylight outside) and lost one bar...

I replaced with a fresh set and put the unit on "Best Video" and record for 35 sec. Mounted the cam outside...Will post more on these battereis as I see 

If anyone wants to know the name of the seller send me a private message and I will provide the information....He has very good ratings.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Jody wrote:

I picked these up from Amazon "GTL 16340 3.7V 2300mAh Rechargeable Lithium Batteries Red" I paid 17.88 for the 8 pack

Those are prob the same ones I picked up from Ebay...

1) they aren't 2300 mahr but really about 500-800 mahr so ,there's some playing with the fiqs to get that amount.

2) try and match them up after two recharges... pick the closest 4 in voltage after a few hours off charge if your able

3) charge them and drain them a couple of times for max capacity

4) when you get an email the're low, swap them out asap as they'll go dead very quickly

For the good news, I'm on day 34 with them in use so far

Jody
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks..Will do...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, today checked camera with the GTLs in it... battery indicator down to 2 bars.

So, even tho i made 35 days ( second run of 30+ days tested ), I don't think I'll make 36 or 37.  Once they start to go, they go quickly.

I'm calling these batteries a fair working solution if you have access to the cameras and would guess their rating is 500+ maHr... as they

lasted about 1 month and the non-rechargeable @ 1500 mahr last for me 3+ months using cameras in spec amount.

Cost wise, it does have it's savings...so it's a give/take option.

In the future, i'll just swap them at at the 30 day time limit.  If 'm going to be away then i'll just do it sooner to cover the time away with a safety factor.

2.5 / 5 stars

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My heavier usage camera has shown 2 bars for some time now.  Hold off on changing batteries and see how long they last.  I didn't make a note of when the display changed from 3 to 2 bars but it's been at least 100 minutes of record time and probably considerably more.

I think cold temps had a larger effect on these batteries than anything else.  We've had some freezing temps with no sudden discharge of batteries but colder may be the issue.  Come next winter (I hope it's a L-O-N-G ways away!) I'll keep track of life and may switch to non-rechargeables if the cold really is the issue but I want to monitor life before making that determination.

Jody
Luminary
Luminary

Results: I placed these batteries into my Patio camera; it sees a lot of action as that is the area, I take the dogs out. The batteries were installed on 4/25/15.
They just dropped down to two bars on 5/10/15. I will let them run to see how long before they completely stop. More to come.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

2 bars ... I'd guess < 10 days.  Only bad part is, they just plain go dead at the end.  My from 2 bars to 0% on last day.

Jody wrote:

Results: I placed these batteries into my Patio camera; it sees a lot of action as that is the area, I take the dogs out. The batteries were installed on 4/25/15.
They just dropped down to two bars on 5/10/15. I will let them run to see how long before they completely stop. More to come.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've had much better luck going from two bars to a warning (10-15%). Haven't taken the time to see how long from the warning to 0 - on my to-do list. This last time, which seems reasonably consistent, I got 232 minutes of recording before 2 bars and 123 minutes additional recording before the low battery warning.

Jody
Luminary
Luminary

This morning I was still at two bars. At 1:00pm she died. I received a low battery alarm at 12:45pm and completely dead at 1.
Thes batteries lasted 19.5 days. Keep in mind these are in the back yard so every time we took out dogs out the camera became activated....I would think in an area without this much activity they would last 25 to 30 days.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My lesser-used camera has been at 2 bars for at least a week (I really need to put my notes on the network so I can more easily pull my data) and just received a low notification about 9:30 this morning. I decided to let it run out before changing and it's still hanging in there. These are the gray UltraFires with about 230 minutes recording on them and have been installed since Easter.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

My Ultrafires made 45+ days... last ten on 2 bars, normal use.... not bad in my book

Jody
Luminary
Luminary
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I have the Ultrafires and GTL from ebay.... same charger ( they must mass produced that model )

( just like jguerdat )

Bear in mind, they ARE NOT 2300 mahr as rated, but more like 6-700mahr.  

But other than getting one bad cell that was doa on delivery, they seem to be working well.

Looks like a safe 35 days use ( lasted 45 days ) before change out with a 7-10 day safe period +/- depending on use.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok, just finished changing batteries in my lesser-used camera which were totally dead. Low warning yesterday at ~9:30 AM, dead today at ~7:00 so almost 1 full day of usage before dead (7 minutes recorded in that time period).  Gray UFs, lasted 41 days, optimized setting, 30 second videos, 241 minutes total recording time, comparable to 60 days "normal" recording at 4 minutes per day (my average was 5.88 minutes per day).  Final battery voltage was all over the place - 2.93, 3.03, 3.15 3.50v.  Will check voltages after charging to ensure they're not wildly off then.

What's it all mean?  Danged if I know...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

What's it all mean?  Danged if I know...

J... fill in this new thread if u canhttps://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargable-battery-usage-vs-time-by-type-post-...

I've also noticed the rear set seem higher coming out ( V ) than front... do u remember the placement of cells?  Alos I've found they do re-coup a bit quickly so a reading not done right away may be off . ( slightly higher )

Also I let the cells set at least 4 hrs before V reading so they settle,... thinking of just doing all Off charge and then next day for realistic V reading fully charged.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'll update your new thread shortly.  There was maybe 30 minute delay in measuring the dead ones so recouping voltage is certainly possible.  No idea which was were but yer right, some might be used for the IR illuminators along with the camera itself.  The GTLs sat overnight before measuring.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat wrote:

snipp   but yer right, some might be used for the IR illuminators along with the camera itself.  The GTLs sat overnight before measuring.

That's what I find strange... The terminals for the front two cells are in ( appear to be ) common with back ( you can run just two cells in the ir cam and it will work ) to double the current available ... no reason why the second set should be much differnt voltage when pulled. ( I match my sets to closest standing v )

mountaindewbass
Apprentice
Apprentice

Where in the world do people get their statistics for battery life and recorded time ? It has me scratching my head, are they keeping a log of this or is it displayed somewhere and im just not seeing it.

Thanks for the heads up..im looking at batteries while trying to look into my usage.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Lots of logging. I count videos every day and have a chart of daily usage, including when the display changes according to battery level. TomMac also has done measuring of battery voltage over time to try to determine how it changes. Hopefully us geeks will help others be able to just jump in and get maximum utility without ending up with a bunch of unused batteries like I have.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

mountaindewbass wrote:

Where in the world do people get their statistics for battery life and recorded time ? It has me scratching my head, are they keeping a log of this or is it displayed somewhere and im just not seeing it.

Thanks for the heads up..im looking at batteries while trying to look into my usage.

Lots of measurements to make sure I get the best batteries, so down the road I can depend on them working like they should.... never depend on an unknown if you can help it!  Below is current test run of Tangsfire cells... ( btw, On GTLs , very light use camera, 58 days running , went to 2 bars at 49 day ) **( also have two indoor cameras that had OEM cells installed on 2/24 , both still 3 bars )**

day19.JPG

It keeps track of each cell voltage, total record time, number of videos, and if the vids were with daylight or ir.

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation