Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
scrytch
Star
Star
I've tried almost every rechargeable battery brand I could find as CR123A batteries here in Australia are $11 each, making Arlo a very costly system to run.

Finally I found the Nitecore RCR123A NL166 batteries.

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/rcr123a-li-ion-battery-nl166

These report as full voltage in the Arlo app, hold charge for up to 6 months and can be recharged over 500 times.

Netgear should partner with these guys as it both more cost effective and better for the environment.

Pair the batteries with their D4 charger and you'll be set.
http://charger.nitecore.com/product/digicharger-d4

Highly recommended guys!

Regards,
Shane.
10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Glad you found the cells in Au that work for you...;

As to Netgear, don't expect this soon as the latest info from them is they don't recommend rechargeables ( in the beginning they did )

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/Remember-these-golden-rules-for-your-Arlo-camer...

from pdf netgear;  http://www.netgear.com/images/pdf/Arlo_battery_flyer.pdf

Arlo performance claims are based on the use of batteries that initially ship with Arlo
wire-free cameras.
Rechargeable Battery Warning
Arlo wire-free cameras have been designed for use with primary, non-rechargeable batteries.
For the best possible Arlo experience, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND using the non-rechargeable
batteries supplied with your Arlo wire-free cameras, or non-rechargeable batteries from other high
quality, established, well-known manufacturers such as Panasonic®, Energizer®, or Duracell®.
Because many rechargeable batteries on the market are counterfeits or of inferior quality, WE
STRONGLY DISCOURAGE the use of any rechargeable batteries with your Arlo wire-free
cameras, as they may pose a fire or burn hazard. They may also damage your camera.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
scrytch
Star
Star
Appreciate the info, and the next line is not aimed at you: Good on them. They don't have to pay $44 every 4-6 months per camera.

Each to their own but genuine Nitecore batteries have multiple layers of safety built in for both safe charge and safe discharge and unlike most rechargeables are rated for high output, which is exactly what the Arlos need.

If they don't want us using any old rechargeables then maybe Netgear need to design their own rechargeable pack - the wastage of using non-rechargeable types of batteries this quickly is unacceptable.

Thanks,
Shane.
scrytch
Star
Star
FYI I also had to import mine as there is no dealer of these in Australia yet. US & Europe they are available via Amazon and others. Just make sure they are genuine.

Thanks,
Shane.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes.. a lot of fakes out there.....the Nitecore are good batteries and should hold up to about 55-65 day of spec use

FYI also... Netgears change in supporting rechargeables came after one user here had a melted ( almost fire ) camera from the cheap china cells without pcb.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

FYI also... Netgears change in supporting rechargeables came after one user here had a melted ( almost fire ) camera from the cheap china cells without pcb.

However, the fact that 4.2V produce a full battery gauge reading on the camera page shows that Netgear still supports rechargeables, even if they publicly discourage their use.

Of note: the one-time use Lithium batteries have a rating of 3V, the rechargeables are 3.7V, each of which with a slightly higher real-life open-circuit voltage when fully charged, 4.2V being that of the rechargeable batteries' full voltage.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes... the battery algorithm still supports the Primary  cells AND the 3.7v Rechargeables. ( does not work well with 3v Lifepo cells for some reason )

This algorithm change was done just after you joined you joined and back when Netgear actively supported li-ion cells, Change done about April '15 , IIRR.

Back in Feb '15 the battery levels were not accurate with the 3.7 li-ions till a number of complaints were received.

As it stands now Netgear statement is;  "WE STRONGLY DISCOURAGE the use of any rechargeable batteries with your Arlo wire-free cameras, as they may pose a fire or burn hazard." 

My take on this is lawyer speak to CYA in case of fire

Yes, Also the primary 3v cells do read 3.2v when new and 3.7 li-ions come off charge at 4.2v ( usu settle to 4.18 +/- after a  number of hours )

PeterPan82
Aspirant
Aspirant

G'Day, I am also in OZ. Would you mind sharing where did you get your batteries from and how long it took for them to arrive? I've 4 cameras and I am also looking for a solution to save some money provided these batteries are expensive in our parts of the world. Thanks for you help. Stefan

phattrance
Aspirant
Aspirant

Im surprised that Netgear didnt even consider shipping the Arlo with rechargeable batteries.. These cameras are power hungry devices  when using them normally

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

phattrance wrote:

Im surprised that Netgear didnt even consider shipping the Arlo with rechargeable batteries.. These cameras are power hungry devices  when using them normally

No, they did consider it and even actively supported rechargeables in the beginning...

Just that for their reasons ( change out time < 60 days, possible fire hazard, etc ) they decided it was a no - go later .

scrytch
Star
Star
@PeterPan82 sorry for the late response. I got mine here: http://m.gearbest.com/chargers-batteries/pp_55742.html

Took 2-3 weeks.
Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation