Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
tlzklz
Follower
Follower

13 REPLIES 13
Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice

I never noticed that and I do not think that there is that option (at least i haven't found it yet).  BUT this feature this is an absolute necessity for documenting security issues.

ambient
Guide
Guide

I have to say... it's little stuff like this that makes me wonder about this whole setup.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The only thing I can add is that with an Email notification you get a date/time along with the clip/frame of video ( from the full version ).

These can be tied together for documenting.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Biskitboy
Tutor
Tutor

Even though there is no embedded timestamp in the video itself, I found that Safari on OSX does properly maintain the proper creation/modification times when downloading videos. Unfortunately, I tried Firefox, IE, and Chrome on Windows, and they did not. Probably need some thought put on this by the developers to at least preserve the creation times.  There seems to have been some heated discussions about this behavior in IE and Firefox over the years. There does seem to be ways to do this, just requires some dev work.

I tried some Firefox extension that was supposed to preserve the timestamp, but that didn't work either.

Don_U
Star
Star

It would certainly be nice if there were an ability to toggle on/off the appearance of a date and time stamp.

This seems to be a glaring oversight for legal law enforcement reasons as well as personal reasons.

For law enforcement, forwarding a link does not show them the date and time of the video. Downloading encodes the video with the date and time OF THE DOWNLOAD, not the date and time of the video. (Tested on Windows OS.)

For personal reasons, all my pictures and videos are sorted by date and time -- having an invalid date and time means the video will not be in the proper sequence.

Going back to legal -- the only workaround to proving date and time of an event, is to actually have a law enforcement officer or other designated official SEE the date and time from me logging into the Arlo video library and viewing the video then being provided with a copy of that 'certified' video.

For BASIC users, this means you have just 7-days to take such actions. Or you could take a gamble by taking a screenshot of the Arlo video library that hopefully would be proof of the date and time of the downloaded and saved video before your archive is auto deleted.

Note that 'favoriting' a video does not keep it from being deleted after the set maximum number of days in your plan. The 'favorite' feature is only meant as a filtering and management tool. See this link: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Server-deleting-old-videos-marked-as-Favorite/m-p/7...

Biskitboy
Tutor
Tutor

No disagreement here except that for OS X users, Safari DOES maintain the proper creation/modified time that the video was made.  Not when it was downloaded (although that can be seen as well - Date Added).  Easily sortable via this timestamp on OS X.

DanielT
Arlo Employee Retired

The file name of each video is in Epoch Time. You may convert that filename here:

http://www.epochconverter.com/

DanielT

Netgear Arlo Customer Support

hb13
Guide
Guide

I didn't realize that my macbook pro saved the date and time of the video/pic when downloaded.  I'm glad it does.  It would be greatly efficient if the downloaded footage had a preset file name instead of just random numbers.  Something like:  "Arlo (camera name) (date) (time)". Then you can add "suspicious car" or something.

hb13
Guide
Guide

AHHHHH!!! Ok, that helps.  I'm guessing that is accepted for legal purposes?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Downloading the video via an app instead of from a browser gives you a name that includes the camera name, date and time as well as thee epoch time. Here's one of mine:

neighbors_02_27_2015 7_22_45PM_1425082965066.mp4

hb13
Guide
Guide

I have downloaded video clips and pics through the iOS app and no file name comes with it.  Only a day and time of when you downloaded the footage, not the actual timestamp or camera name.  I figured out the Epoch time that is the file name when downloaded via OSX.  However, an actual timestamp overly in the actual footage is still desired.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What can I say? Get an Android device. 😛

Never mind...  😄

poweratom
Guide
Guide

DanielT wrote:

The file name of each video is in Epoch Time. You may convert that filename here:

http://www.epochconverter.com/

DanielT

Netgear Arlo Customer Support

Thanks, @DanielT.

But from user experience standpoint, Arlo knows about my timezone preference, I should be able to choose if the timestamp should be in Epoch time or human-readable format. It'd also be very desireable to have time layered in the clip itself. Thanks for that insight though.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation