Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jesper_BG
Tutor
Tutor

Hi All,

I hope someone can help...... (I'm failing to find the answer somewhere)

I have for a long period had the issue that my internet router will not assign IP adresses after some hours after reboot.

The ISP - who also have supplied the router (Tilgin) - believes that it might be the Arlo Netgear router that is causing that by assigning IP-adresses (and thereby blocking them) without I can see it (?). That results in a conflict.

My question is. Do the Arlo router assign IP adresses to the cameras? In case it does, can you access the router and force it to work with static IP's - and no DHCP?

Thank you for your support!

BR Jesper

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only thing I can think of is that somehow the Arlo base and router are using the same address range (192.168.xxx).  While you can't do anything about the base station, you (or the ISP) may be able to change the range used on the router.  For instance, if the router is currently using 192.168.100, try changing it to 192.168.101 (or anything else).  Many/most routers allow this.

Alternatively, the ISP may have a different model/brand that could be swapped in.  Can you supply your own router?  If it's a modem/router, how about the ISP supplying the modem and you supply the router (or both)?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only thing I can think of is that somehow the Arlo base and router are using the same address range (192.168.xxx).  While you can't do anything about the base station, you (or the ISP) may be able to change the range used on the router.  For instance, if the router is currently using 192.168.100, try changing it to 192.168.101 (or anything else).  Many/most routers allow this.

Alternatively, the ISP may have a different model/brand that could be swapped in.  Can you supply your own router?  If it's a modem/router, how about the ISP supplying the modem and you supply the router (or both)?

Jesper_BG
Tutor
Tutor

Hi jguerdat,

Thank you for prompt reply!

Why did'nt I - or my ISP with whoom I have discussed this for a looooong time - think of that! 🙂 Good thinking!

(without knowing the range that the Arlo router is using one would think that they would not make it assign IP addresses in the range where most routers are set by default like mine 192.168.1.xxx)

I will try that as soon as I get home and hopefully never have that problem again.

I revert with my findings for future reference.

BR Jesper

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, some outside of the US, Britain in particular, have had issues with ISP-supplied modem/routers that have been resolved by the ISP supplying a newer version.

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Arlo Base Stations don't "use a range of IP addresses" they are "assigned one temporary, private IP address.

That IP address is provided by a router running DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) on your network. That's why the install instructions require that we connect the Base Station via a network wire (RJ-45).

The devices that use your home network, whether via wire or wireless router, yell out, "Yo ... I need an IP address."

Somewhere on your network there has to be a router running DHCP. That DHCP server will be issuing addresses in the 192.168.x.x range (usually, though there are many other ranges available).

Some cable modems have only ONE RJ-45 (large telephone) connector. In such case, we need to buy a router if we want to physically plug in another wire. The new router will be running DHCP.

For cable modems that have an extra jack or 4, we can plug the Base Station into that. The cable modem will be running DHCP.

For me, I have a single-wire cable modem and I need WiFi anyway, so I bought a wireless router with 5 ports.

One port hooks to the cable modem. The other ports (4) support three Base Stations. The wireless router is providing DHCP in the 192.168.0.x range where x = a number from 2 (1 is reserved as the address of the wireless router itself) and 254.

So ...

When I reboot a Base Station, the wireless router hears the Base Station yell, "Yo ... need an IP address here!", it assigns an IP address via the wire in the back of the Base Station that's hooked to the wireless router.

I use the free program Who's On My WiFi (Windows) to scan the entire network for IP addresses and examine the line entries it finds for the MAC address that is listed on a label underneath the Base Station. That tells me what IP address the Base Station has.

The program also tells me if the Base Station is active.

--

For troubleshooting, ask your ISP what device is the DHCP server.

They may not be providing that, and you may have a router (wired or wireless) that has DHCP server inactive.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unless you can see the base and camera addresses, it's all a guess.  I agree with your assessment but what's going on with the Arlo network is guesswork.  It could well be a DHCP server or it could be pre-defined addresses, both of which could conflict with the router.  I'm not convinced it's an address conflict here but it's the only scenario, other than the previously noted issues with some UK routers, that makes sense to me.  Of course, I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken...  🙂

Jesper_BG
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, 

Thank you for your valuable inputs!

So far I believe I'm in full control of the modem, router and what is acting as DHCP etc.

For now; what I have done is that I did create a new LAN group in the router and sat up the wireless network to that group. The new LAN group is working in the 191.168.XXX range. The ethernet element are hard wired to the router (NAS, Arlo etc.) - working in the 192.168.XXX range.

So far so good. No issues yet on the router not being able to assign IP addresses.

Changes were done early last night so I keep my fingers crossed today......

BR Jesper

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

YAY!

Please keep us posted so we can learn.

Thanks.

Jesper_BG
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

Just a quick update.....

Now my Tilgin router has been going on for 72 hours without any hick-ups what-so-ever.

Working for days without having any issues assigning IP-adresses to wireless equipment wanting to enter the network has not been the case for as far as I can remember. I am therefore very, very happy :-).

I believe a solution is found.......

Enjoy the weekend.

BR Jesper

( Only thing left is tohope that Murphy do not apply his law to this solution 🙂  )

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation