Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Bthomas
Tutor
Tutor
It looks like Arlo requires Internet to work, even when all devices (viewing apps) are local? It would be great to use Arlo to monitor real time and on the same network if Internet isn't available... Anyone know if this is possible? I understand recording would require Internet, but one of my uses just requires live viewing on the same network where Internet may be spotty.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Gotta have Internet to view and download. Once downloaded, you only need the local device and/or network.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Gotta have Internet to view and download. Once downloaded, you only need the local device and/or network.

Bthomas
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for that! Would you mind clarifying what you've said? If I've got the app on my phone, connected to the local network that Arlo is on, if the Internet is down can I still connect and view the camera? Thanks!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You MUST have Internet access to view videos, live or recorded. Once they're on the server you can download them for archiving or viewing at any time but even downloading will require initial Internet access. No, you can't directly access the cameras - you can only do so using the Arlo servers.

Bthomas
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for the detailed info! Seems a real shame, though. At the vacation place there isn't great Internet, and what is there is contended over by other services. Would be great if Arlo was more like a sling box, for example, with the ability to stream on the local network without Internet.
AnthonyArmato
Luminary
Luminary

Edit: Disregard.

WadeShuler
Star
Star

I don't think it records when you don't have internet... I had connection issues and my internet was down every 5 minutes for like 3 days, and it didn't give me any of the videos when I triggered the camera while the internet was down. It would be nice if it would still store the video and upload it to the server when connection was restored. Since the base station doesn't have storage itself, this isn't possible. A local option (like a NAS) would be great.

So I would say, internet is 100% required for these cameras.

MikeWerner
Star
Star

Yes, I agree. It would be great to be able to see what the cameras are seeing without the need to go onto the net. If you look at the Logitech gear or the D-link gear, that is exactly what you can do. Having the ability to see what can be seen through the cameras at that moment is important. Even with a high speed fibre connection, ot takes too long to see a camera..

StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

I believe thats why the base station has a USB port, for hopefully an enhancement to allow a local storage option.

Whether netgear will ever implement it is the big question.  You have to buy a product for what it can do now, not on promises or possibilities.

rnevin
Initiate
Initiate

Yes, I agree 100%.  I'm surprised & disappointed that Internet is required.  The cameras are *exactly* what I want (wireless, and battery operated too).  But the requirement for Internet connectivity is a non-starter for me.  I want to set up a small dedicated network in a pharmacy. The cameras will be in a compounding "clean room", and a screen (such as an android pad) will be in an adjacent room.  The images include patient data (names, prescribed medications), and absolutely cannot be uploaded to the Internet, as that would be a violation of customer privacy laws.  I just want to remotely view an image.  I'm very disappointed I can't use Arlo equipment for this.

If anyone has figured out a way to do this, please let me know.  Thx!

gregandcyla
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is a major security lapse in my experience.  We have a competing product (Canary) which works VERY well, but we completely missed someone entering the home, with no indication what so ever except cabinet doors were open that used to be closed.  The explanation was that internet connectivity must have been interrupted, and the Carary doesn't have any internal buffer storage to capture and latter upload for internet interruptions.

We bought the Arlo with the intention of replacing the Canary, but it appears to have the same vulnerablity.  Does anyone know if Arlo has some buffer storage to still capture video for brief interruptions in internet connectivity?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No buffer. It may stream to the server.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation