Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Craptacular1
Follower
Follower

Do I need a Arlo base station to use the cameras?  Is the base station just a Netgear router?  Can I use any SoHo internet router?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Craptacular1,

The base station is required for the Arlo cameras to work. The cameras sync up to the base station and the base station must be connected to a network via ethernet.

JamesC

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Craptacular1,

The base station is required for the Arlo cameras to work. The cameras sync up to the base station and the base station must be connected to a network via ethernet.

JamesC

Charlemo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a uverse wireless router, does the base station have to have an ethernet connection or does it have a wireless capability in connecting to the uverse wireless router?

Bil M

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ethernet only.  If the router only has one port, buy a cheap Ethernet switch or use a WiFi extender capable of at least 1MB/s throughput (they all should be able to do this these days).

Cougar44
Initiate
Initiate

Will the camera work if I have a mobile wireless router with no ethernet cable

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q camera should work fine since it only requires a WiFi connection to the Internet.  The wireless cameras won't work since the base station requires an Ethernet connection.  Again, you could use a WiFi extender with an Ethernet port - the extender would connect to the WiFi-only router and the base station would connect using the Ethernet port over the extender's connection.

Goldenboy
Aspirant
Aspirant
How to secure the camera so not to be stolen if just connect to magnet ?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any camera can be removed.  The magnetic base can be an extra concern but positioning and stealth can help mitigate these issue.  The recommendation for 7 feet is at least partly to help prevent casual theft. 

Bluedoor
Tutor
Tutor
What is the password for the Netgear account
Bluedoor
Tutor
Tutor

Bluedoor
Tutor
Tutor
Just setting up new Arlo system using my phone For wifi I need to be on netgear93 but it's asking for a password - where do I find that?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not sure what you're doing.  You can't log into the base station although it shows up as a WiFi device on your devices.  You need to be on WiFi but it's the one provided by your router, the same one that the base is connected to.  The only way to set up the base station using the app is to use WiFi on the same home network.  Some folks just find it easier to use a computer.

Once set up, the phone doesn't need to be on WiFi or it can use any WiFi network.

MaxMagnum
Aspirant
Aspirant
What is the password for the Netgear base station on a Model VM B3000
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MaxMagnum,

There is no password for the Arlo base station. It is not accessible. Are you having trouble setting up your Arlo system? Please let us know what issues you are having and we would be happy to assist.

JamesC

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Base Station does not have a password. The Base Station "talks" to the cameras via a secure wireless connection that only the cameras can use.

Additionally, the Base Station is a dedicated router that converts the private camera wireless traffic to Internet traffic, which is routed out the RJ-45 network wire to the Internet.

That network wire connects directly to Netgear's cloud storage, making it possible for us to administer changes to camera settings, and store video that can be viewed by any authorized person who has a connection to the Internet, whether via the Arlo Login web page or Arlo apps on smart devices.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation