Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Mrsmartin
Aspirant
Aspirant

So we just installed our Arlo Q.  Looking to be able to monitor and record our sitter while she's with our kids.  Any suggestions on how to do this? Would signing up for CVR be the right option?  Also, I read that if we tried to watch the live feed it interrupts the recording?  Does that mean that there would be a gap in the recording?  How would we start the recording again?  Thanks for any help.  

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

CVR would be the best answer. Recording is still limited to 2 minutes while CVR is continuous. If need be, you can play back CVR and use a screen capture package to record as much as you'd like.

Live view indeed overrides recording. You can manually record while live viewing or stop live view and let motion detection pick up again. There wouldn't be a gap in your recording, just a short video.

Mrsmartin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you...I want to make sure I am understanding correctly.  So scenario.  We leave at 7.  Come back at 10.  We want to see what was happening from 7 to 10.  We would have a bunch of 2 minute videos via CVR?  What is the advantage of having the CVR subscription over the basic if we can have 120 second snippets under the "motion detected" basic package?  

scenario 2.  We leave at 7.  At 8 we decide to hop in and watch the live feed.  This interrupts the CVR.  So CVR has 2 minute recordings from 7 to 8.  We live view at 8.  At 8:02 we turn off live view.  Will the CVR start recording again at 8:02?  Again...what is the advantage of having CVR vs the basic package in this scenario.  

Right now we have it set to motion and sound sensativity on a basic package.  We are getting 15 second clips constantly.  These 15 second clips have gaps between them.  We'd like to avoid the gaps and have the entire block of time that we designate to be monitored.  I know it seems redundant, but I am slightly ignorant and was recommended this system.  I appreciate the info.

Mrsmartin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Basically CVR puts all of what the camera captures to a "cloud"?  Then we can play back a portion...whatever we want...and if we decide to record that portion, we can?  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Mrsmartin wrote:

Basically CVR puts all of what the camera captures to a "cloud"?  Then we can play back a portion...whatever we want...and if we decide to record that portion, we can?  

The CVR recording and the Library are two different things....

Any motion activated video from the Q records to the Library as a normal video while it ALSO records on the CVR timeline (24/7).

You can easily d/l the library videos.  While you can view any recording section in the timeline there is no included option to d/l the cvr timeline... ,

but to d/l the timeline you can use a screen capture program to do so. ( third party sw )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Or said differently, the Q camera ALWAYS records 24/7.  Any actual recordings triggered by motion/sound will be stored in the library but the camera is still sending the whole stream to the servers.  The CVR option simply gives you access to that whole stream, whether there was a motion/sound trigger or not.  You could actually use the Disarmed mode (turn recording off) and still use CVR to see what happened.  This is distictly different from the wireless cameras which only give you recordings when motion is detected or by manually using live view (which will time out after 30 inutes).

The Q camera is powered from the wall so is set up to always capturing the scene.  I've used the recordings to see what happened but also CVR to monitor what happened before and after the recording since the motion/sound detection doesn't always get the whole scenario.  In effect, I used the recordings to give me a timeframe to go back and watch via CVR, which has been useful in certain situations.

Hope this helps.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation