Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
ArloNewbie
Follower
Follower

Will I have the ability to record videos to Dropbox, iCloud and/or my local storage device?

129 REPLIES 129
Skywatcher2020
Tutor
Tutor
Why they reduce the quality of the images when videos are downloaded from the cloud to a local storage?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Got an example?  I have mine set for best quality and they download as 720p (actually, the vertical is slightly short at 704 pixels but width is 1280). I haven't seen any difference between online vs. downloaded.

leonejames1
Initiate
Initiate

I just purchased a 4 pack of these cameras after owning Foscam cameras for years. Don't waste your money! There is no way to record to external sources, and they do this so that they can lock you into using their 'cloud' services for a FEE. The free amount is garbage, especially when the 10 second clips are not worth it. You need to use longer recording times because 10 seconds gets you little... and it doesn't restart recording until a delay of another 10 seconds, so you miss important things.

It's absurd to charge what they charge for this system and it doesn’t come with its own dvr or allow you to record to your own storage.

They 'Claim' it's a feature of the system... It's nothing more than a money gauging ploy. If the internet goes down, but your wireless doesn’t, you can’t record. That's ridiculous! You're at the mercy of internet providers? And next, who says that their cloud is secure and your videos are safe?

the entire concept is ridiculous.... if they had given this product the ability to record to storage of your choosing like a dvr, drive share, or something similar, this product would be a home run... they could 'Offer' cloud storage.... but to force it on you?

That causes this system to rate as a loser..... Don’t waste your time or money.

Your internet goes down, you've got nothing recorded. 

And even with it up, get ready to pay subscription fees for a service they basically force you into using....

A joke....

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You think one would have researched such an expensive purchase before buying... btw, for free they give you 1000 - 10 sec clips or combo of that.. pretty good for most users.

System work just fine for me.! I know it's pros and cons and still accept it as very useful.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
netcam
Star
Star

Do not be arrogant, there is clearly stated usb port available on the device, what else would it be for.

Advertising so expensive device with usb port only to find you cannot use it is misleading marketing practice.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It could be used for many things.  It's for possible future use - what that use is has never been defined.  Why not for powering Alro Q cameras?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

netcam wrote:

Do not be arrogant, there is clearly stated usb port available on the device, what else would it be for.

Advertising so expensive device with usb port only to find you cannot use it is misleading marketing practice.

Not being arrogant...

First they clearly do state it is cloud recording and nowhere I could find that the usb ports were for anything except future additions

The fact that the OP stated that "they do this so that they can lock you into using their 'cloud' services for a FEE. The free amount is garbage, especially when the 10 second clips are not worth it."   isn't true even tho he feels that way.  The free amount will handle many users needs.

Second , yes it is expensive... and I don't know many people that go out and buy cars without researching what they want in the vehicle. Just saying that the OP should have done more homework instead of blindly buying and then claiming sour grapes.

Morse is faster than texting!
ChloeonCamera
Star
Star

I so disagree with the should of done better research. We are not, well I'm not, a surveillance camera person. I rely on the camera company to help me, point me in the right direction hence believe what they say/market. I get the USB port complaint, it is a bit misleading. I get the cloud complaint. Why can't it all be free? Charge everyone another $202nd and call it a day. Give a choice for cloud or DVR. 

Pits awesome TOMAC that you have the perfect Arlo and that you are skookum with everything you've purchased. Don't disregard others that are not. Sometimes by putting your issues out there companies fix things, or add things. It hasn't happened with Arlo but let a guy post without you jumping all over their issues as if they are not important.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Putting issues out there was never the issue. To hide behind Internet anonymity to rant is another. A civil discourse is welcome but venting your spleen is not. Put the issues as in normal conversation and all is well.

netcam
Star
Star

TomMac wrote:

netcam wrote:

Not being arrogant...

First they clearly do state it is cloud recording and nowhere I could find that the usb ports were for anything except future additions

The fact that the OP stated that "they do this so that they can lock you into using their 'cloud' services for a FEE. The free amount is garbage, especially when the 10 second clips are not worth it."   isn't true even tho he feels that way.  The free amount will handle many users needs.

Second , yes it is expensive... and I don't know many people that go out and buy cars without researching what they want in the vehicle. Just saying that the OP should have done more homework instead of blindly buying and then claiming sour grapes.

nobody researches usb port in cars, it is just basic feature meaning if it is there - everybody expects it works for local storage, just check with local dealership if you do not believe.

i do not care about your deal with them, whether you got some coupons for cloud recording whatever for ranting, neither fine print they put (and why not print in same large font on box "It has usb port that does not work"). I buy gizmo with usb port and usb port must work like on anything else

ITGuy4Life
Tutor
Tutor

The system is expensive compared to other camera systems but let's face it, the reason why we bought Arlo or considered it was really because it is 100% wireless. Could I enjoy a feature of having local storage to record to...absolutely! However, the cloud recording is an "offsite" solution to save those important recordings from being tampered or stolen. I say let's see what the future holds for our systems since there are features to come I am sure. As for me, I am happy with my system since it gave me the ability to setup in a few minutes without any wiring.

qwertyui
Initiate
Initiate

Hello ArloTeam - We do not want any of our videos going into Arlo's cloud or servers.  How do we configure the Arlo System to send video only to our personal computers?  thanks! 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's clearly spelled out in the specs, the downloadable user manual and certainly in this thread that it's not possible at this time. You can add kudos to any ideas in the suggestions area to try to help along modifications but there's no guarantee that any idea will be implemented at any particular point in time.

netcam
Star
Star

Welcome to forum qwertui.

bdee2233
Aspirant
Aspirant

so with the 1 gb, you can use it longer than 7 days? or you HAVE to subscribe to the cloud after?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, the 7 days is all you can go back with another 7 days in the trash. The only caveat is that you can fill up that 1GB during that time so monitoring is recommended.

gspery
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seems kind of bogus.  So if I lose internet service I cannot use my camera.  That means if someone wants to get around the ARLO security cameras all they have to do is cut the cable line.  That's a big hole in the system.  I think I'll be returning mine for one that has local recording.  Sorry Arlo.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If someone is going to the trouble of cutting the cable, why not power, too, or instead? There are no absolutes here...

netcam
Star
Star

stop trolling .. halfway absolute ... cameras use batteries so cutting power will not do and yes Netgear does not know how to design security system, Arlo should not be called security system.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Trolling?  Hardly.  The cameras are battery-operated but the base, modem and router are not.  You can use a UPS to get past a power cut but it doesn't appear many people do that.  Cutting power with local storage potentially disables the computer/NAS/whatever that's storing the videos.  Cutting the Internet connection is hardly the only way to disrupt any security system.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For less than the price of a single camera, you can have battery backup for your router, modem, and the base station.  Just do a search for "router UPS".  That one step would make the system more secure.

I think it would be a benefit to all to try to keep the conversations constructive.  Please chip in and help if you can!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW,vyou should be able to get a passable UPS for $75 or so. Less will allow you to fly through short outages with no problem. I forget exactly but when I measured power consumption of my setup I think it was around 30-40 watts so a 500vA unit will run maybe 10 hours, plus or minus.

tales
Aspirant
Aspirant

What about recording on my Netgear NAS NV+?, at least integration with Netgear systems should be possible.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not yet. Maybe some day.

TexRob
Tutor
Tutor

I've been eyeballing these for a few months, and really want to get them.  I can't justify spending $500+ on 4 cameras + mounting for something that will be 100% useless if they shut down the Arlo service.  A camera system should last 10+ years, and there is no guarantee this service will be here in even 1 or 2.  Until someone at Netgear can say, "If we stop the service, we'll provide a way to save locally" or they add local save, myself, and a lot of other people, will NEVER BUY THIS.

Discussion stats