Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Urgent: Activate Two-Step Verification
Arlo requires all users to activate two-step verification to continue to access your recordings, devices, and account.
Please enable this feature now. Learn More.

Can I record locally to my network and not use the Arlo Cloud services?

Reply
Discussion stats
Scorpuk
Tutor
Tutor

Thought I would add an update to this.

 

 

In November 2015 my DSL router had a failure of the DSL side. This meant I could NOT connect to the internet, but my internal home network still worked. Since I was away from home on work my house went without internet for a month.

 

 

If I had the Arlo system, then it would have been completely useless during this time and anything happening at / to my property that I had entrusted to the Arlo system to record would have gone un-recorded.

 

 

Sorry but a completely pointless system without local record!

 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And if a thief broke in and stole your computer or NAS, you'd have no record, either. There's no magic bullet, just opinions.

TexRob
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat wrote:

And if a thief broke in and stole your computer or NAS, you'd have no record, either. There's no magic bullet, just opinions.


Look, I'm not trying to be hostile, but if you are going to act absurd/like a shill, it's hard not to be.

 

Nobody said get rid of cloud support.  The point is, making a device that ceases to function at all, 0% functionality, if the cloud service goes away is terrible.  I'm in the IT field, so don't try and claim something like "What about Amazon Web Services???" because you can transfer that to a local VM if needed.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not being absurd, just being Mr. Obvious.

 

I'm retired IT so I understand the difference and importance of each strategy. If you don't like one strategy, don't buy it.

TexRob
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat wrote:

Not being absurd, just being Mr. Obvious.

 

I'm retired IT so I understand the difference and importance of each strategy. If you don't like one strategy, don't buy it.


I guess my point is it is a very cool product.  I wouldn't be here complaining with you about it if it was just a bad product.  It feels like a great product that has one major flaw that is quite likely just a bad business decision rather than a technical shortcoming.  If it was crap I'd just move on to the next product.  As it stands, I've yet to find someone offerring 720p, good smartphone/web access, and wireless other than this product.  If it had local storage, it'd be the best on the market IMHO.

Scorpuk
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat wrote:

And if a thief broke in and stole your computer or NAS, you'd have no record, either. There's no magic bullet, just opinions.


If a theif broke into my house tthey would probably not spend time looking for the NAS as its not in an obvious location. Smiley Wink

 

 

No system is perfect, but local storage is a huge drawback with this one.

 

 

The only way to be sure your house is safe is to never leave it. Smiley LOL

 

Scorpuk
Tutor
Tutor

TexRob wrote:

I guess my point is it is a very cool product.  I wouldn't be here complaining with you about it if it was just a bad product.  It feels like a great product that has one major flaw that is quite likely just a bad business decision rather than a technical shortcoming.  If it was crap I'd just move on to the next product.  As it stands, I've yet to find someone offerring 720p, good smartphone/web access, and wireless other than this product.  If it had local storage, it'd be the best on the market IMHO.


 Completely agree with ya.

 

 

Possibly the charging for extra storage space with their cloud services is a way of subsidising the cost of the product...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TexRob wrote:

.  If it had local storage, it'd be the best on the market IMHO.


I really be happy if it just had an auto d/l feature....

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ArloIsCrap
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's stupid. You are contstantly using bandwidth to upload CCTV footage and you're being charged for anything larger than 1GB. I won't buying this system if it doesn't have the option of local storage especially as we want 8 cameras.

creepercast888
Guide
Guide
Paying extra for more cameras, what a joke the cameras cost so much than what it's worth.
Tleitch
Aspirant
Aspirant
If I purchase the arlo q does it run. Of my Internet or does it run of the net gear system? I don't want to record to cloud I just want it to go to my hard drive or USB for easy reference. I don't want to pay extra for the cloud for stotage. If this can not be down its not the system for me. I want be able get clear pictures and rewind if need to be. So tell me if this can be downloaded straight to the hard or does it go to.cloud first the I have to down load to server, computer or usb?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Both Arlo cameras go to the cloud first.  If local storage with no cloud interaction is your requirement then this isn't for you.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Tleitch wrote:
If I purchase the arlo q does it run. Of my Internet or does it run of the net gear system? I don't want to record to cloud I just want it to go to my hard drive or USB for easy reference. I don't want to pay extra for the cloud for stotage. If this can not be down its not the system for me. I want be able get clear pictures and rewind if need to be. So tell me if this can be downloaded straight to the hard or does it go to.cloud first the I have to down load to server, computer or usb?

The Arlo Q runs directly thru you wifi system, and in the sw becomes another device so you can see there via the same login.

It does NOT record locally, but records to the cloud similar to the regular Arlo.  You must d/l the vids to local.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
MikeWerner
Star
Star

Personally, although the Arlo product is pretty good and easy to use, I'm appalled at having to pay a monthly fee for expanding the number of cameras. I've got 5 now, and want to go to 8 or 9, but for that I need to poney up a monthly fee. Crazy and not very customer friendly. If the cameras cost $50, then I can understand, but not at those prices.

 

Another thing that shows the mindset at Netgear (and other companies). In this thread, someone from Netgear mentioned when talking about internet going down, that they can't remember the last time their internet went down. That is bad engineering!!! This is a worldwide product, and not everyone has the luxury of have reliable internet, reliable power and fast bandwidth. My country house has a bandwidth of 1.8 Mb!!!! Power goes down 5-6 per year, interner goes down 2-3 times per month.

 

So Netgear engineers, when you can designing products, look further than your own house!

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
If you want to expand your system beyond five cameras which is the maximum the basic (ie. free) plan supports, simply get a second account with another base station and another basic plan. Sure, it's more hassle because you have to flip-flop between two accounts, but it's doable; you get to use more than five cameras but you don't pay a dime for subscription fees.

Get an uninterrupted power source to power your internet modem, router and Arlo base station during power outages to reduce downtime.

I agree though in principle that internet as a prerequisite for the system to function is a big con and I'm not happy about it myself.
MikeWerner
Star
Star

Schorschi wrote:
If you want to expand your system beyond five cameras which is the maximum the basic (ie. free) plan supports, simply get a second account with another base station and another basic plan. Sure, it's more hassle because you have to flip-flop between two accounts, but it's doable; you get to use more than five cameras but you don't pay a dime for subscription fees.

Get an uninterrupted power source to power your internet modem, router and Arlo base station during power outages to reduce downtime.

I agree though in principle that internet as a prerequisite for the system to function is a big con and I'm not happy about it myself.

Yes, it would work, but it's a Mickey Mouse solution. Two base stations, flipping between accounts: it's not a serious way of doing it. But it does point out that the setup is badly thought out. I can "escape" the monthly charges by buying two systems... not a good idea. I prefer that Netgear say that for each additional camera you buy after the 5, you get xxxx Mb of storage space (even if it's a low amount). I rarely have more than 24 hours of recording since I monitor every notification.

 

And yes, I have UPS for the internet setup, but that doesn't help is the internet goes down...

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

MikeWerner wrote:

Yes, it would work, but it's a Mickey Mouse solution. Two base stations, flipping between accounts: it's not a serious way of doing it. But it does point out that the setup is badly thought out. I can "escape" the monthly charges by buying two systems... not a good idea. I prefer that Netgear say that for each additional camera you buy after the 5, you get xxxx Mb of storage space (even if it's a low amount). I rarely have more than 24 hours of recording since I monitor every notification.


Why does Keurig sell expensive coffee pods? Why does HP sell expensive printer ink cartridges?

 

I think the fact Arlo can be used with a free subscription that includes cloud storage is quite the exception in the current market of home surveillance cams. Besides, storage space is unlimited with any of the Arlo subscription plans.

Model: Arlo Wire Free
chopliver
Aspirant
Aspirant
When I 1st purchased my Arlo cams I cld download videos & pics on my phone to save for myself. That choice was changed. Copying to clipboard is a waste bcuz ea time I copy it deletes the one prior. If I email them to myself my videos are avail for 24 hrs only.
Please revise to original setup so I can save videos to my files and/or smartphone. I prefer not using icloud for privacy. Ty.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You've always been able to download the videos on any smartphone.  You seem to be saying you're using an iOS device (which I don't have) and there have been various posts here about how to change your device settings to allow videos to be saved.  Do a search on these forums, wait for someone with an iOS device to give you directions or dive into the device settings and figure it out yourself.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

chopliver,

 

As jguerdat states above the functionality with this has not changed. Select a piece of content in the library and then tap the download button to store it locally. Are you getting an error message when trying to download a piece of content from the library?

 

JamesC

chopliver
Aspirant
Aspirant
I prefer more privacy. When videos go on icloud who knows who cld hack it. That doesn't make me feel safe. Hackers hack into baby monitors so I'm sure they will find a hack for icloud too.
I do not hv a way to dwn load to my phone. Do not hv facebook, links to clipboard only last until next save, email only access for 24 hrs.
When I 1st purchased I could copy to my phone. Then Arlo chgd that for the cloud. Pls chg back please.
constantine
Guide
Guide
Dont you guys get it. Return this product and get your money back. There are good and cheap ip cameras in market with internal as well as cloud recording. This product is bad and waste of money and battery power.
constantine
Guide
Guide
I spent 270, bought a chinese annke security system high definition and 133 for 3tb hard drive and also got 30gb cloud storage. Everything cheap from ebay. And works real good. You guys just wanna argue till you pacify your mind that this is somewhat good and to just keep it. Search the market guys. There are better products.
devsk
Tutor
Tutor

constantine wrote:
I spent 270, bought a chinese annke security system high definition and 133 for 3tb hard drive and also got 30gb cloud storage. Everything cheap from ebay. And works real good. You guys just wanna argue till you pacify your mind that this is somewhat good and to just keep it. Search the market guys. There are better products.

I agree. Arlo is a crippled product. I was foolish to buy into it. I could have spent those 500$ somewhere else. Well, live and learn!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

chopliver,

 

At this time, Arlo requires a connection to the cloud in order for content to be saved. You can still manually store library content locally by clicking the download button in the library. This functionality has not changed.

 

JamesC

 

 

Discussion stats