Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice

When I purchased the Arlo cameras last year, I specifically remember that rechargeable batteries were encouraged. (I believe it may have been in the original literature with the cameras.)  It was one of the selling points of getting the Arlo.  As an example, on Amazon the following comment was left by NetGear:

NetGear Arlo.png

Recently, a friend pointed out that their newly purchased camera manual said not to use rechargeable batteries AT ALL.

Screenshot_2016-01-06-11-08-55-1.png 

I looked online and Netgear now states: "Arlo Wire-Free cameras have been designed for use with non-rechargeable batteries. For the best possible experience, we strongly recommend using the non-rechargeable batteries supplied with your Arlo Wire-Free cameras, or non-rechargeable batteries from other high quality, established well-known manufacturers such as Panasonic®, Energizer®, or Duracell®.[1]Golden Rules for Batteries

I have been recommending EagleTacs and Nitecores because of the fire hazzard in cheaper brands.  I would like to know if there are rechargeable batteries recommended by Arlo, since they named some non-rechargeable brand recommendations?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would like to thank you for your posts and contributions! I want to make sure you take a look at an article outlining best practices when it comes to batteries. For those involved in this discussion I encourage you to review Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries along with BATTERY WARNINGS AND SAFETY.

Thank you for sharing! 

JamesC

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Tats wrote:

I have been recommending EagleTacs and Nitecores because of the fire hazzard in cheaper brands.  I would like to know if there are rechargeable batteries recommended by Arlo, since they named some non-rechargeable brand recommendations?  

TBOMK, Netgear has never recommended a brand/type of rechargeable battery

( standing on subject did change a bit from the start as they originally stated  they could be used , but they never recommend a brand/type )

( prob to many variables and to many cheap non protected cells and to many lawyers 🙂  ) 

esp after one user burnt up a camera

That said, IF you are going to use rechargables Netgear says your on your own

tho, I would use the ones you recommend ( and prob most of the users of rchargeables would agree )

HERE"S THE FINE PRINT;

Counterfeit & Inferior-Quality Battery Warning
Do not use counterfeit and/or inferior-quality lithium batteries. Such batteries can develop internal
shorts and may pose a fire or burn hazard.
Avoid purchasing batteries from online-auction and other marketplace websites, as these are
known sources of counterfeit and/or inferior-quality batteries.
The use of counterfeit and/or inferior-quality batteries could greatly reduce runtime and output
performance, damage your Arlo wire-free cameras, and constitute a safety hazard.
Counterfeit and/or inferior-quality batteries that cause damage to your Arlo wire-free camera may
void the warranty.
Counterfeit and inferior-quality batteries lack built-in fault and heat protection, which superior
quality batteries contain for added safety.
For these reasons, NETGEAR recommends that you use the batteries supplied by NETGEAR
with your Arlo wire-free cameras, or batteries from other high quality, established, well-known
manufacturers such as Panasonic®, Energizer®, or Duracell®.
Arlo performance claims are based on the use of batteries that initially ship with Arlo
wire-free cameras.
Rechargeable Battery Warning
Arlo wire-free cameras have been designed for use with primary, non-rechargeable batteries.
For the best possible Arlo experience, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND using the non-rechargeable
batteries supplied with your Arlo wire-free cameras, or non-rechargeable batteries from other high
quality, established, well-known manufacturers such as Panasonic®, Energizer®, or Duracell®.
Because many rechargeable batteries on the market are counterfeits or of inferior quality, WE
STRONGLY DISCOURAGE the use of any rechargeable batteries with your Arlo wire-free
cameras, as they may pose a fire or burn hazard. They may also damage your camera.
BATTERY WARNINGS AND SAFETY

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yet customer service recommended rechargeable batteries to me!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

JustLearning wrote:
Yet customer service recommended rechargeable batteries to me!

There are some cases where I would use rechargeables, and some I wouldn't...

At one time Netgear's statement was it was ok, but lately they seem to leaning  the other way...maybe to many problems, maybe more lawyers... don't know.

I wonder if the service was reading off old trouble scripts. ??

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Take a look at this article for the NETGEAR advised battery best practices: Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries

JamesC

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good read. Thank you.

I have considered rechargeable batteries for some time now, and the reference links you provide make that decision quite easy.

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Netgear advised me today to use rechargeable batteries but recommended quality brand names such as Duracell etc rather than generic brands. They did not suggest there was any safety or fire risk associated with rechargeables. Perhaps this is no longer a concern?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

JustLearning wrote:
Netgear advised me today to use rechargeable batteries but recommended quality brand names such as Duracell etc rather than generic brands. They did not suggest there was any safety or fire risk associated with rechargeables. Perhaps this is no longer a concern?

Maybe it's more of a lawyer thing...  I see no problem myself using GOOD quality rechargeables.

Stick with named brands with PCBs ( safety to prevent over charging ) along with a quality charger too.

A couple of the bettter brands have been tested here and work well for certain conditions.

AS a PS... don't know if Duracell makes a rechargeable 123 cell... Esp since you should be looking for  a 3.7v li-ion in that format

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would like to thank you for your posts and contributions! I want to make sure you take a look at an article outlining best practices when it comes to batteries. For those involved in this discussion I encourage you to review Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries along with BATTERY WARNINGS AND SAFETY.

Thank you for sharing! 

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation