Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
robby1239
Aspirant
Aspirant
If my router were to unplug would the camera be able to pick up anything? I don’t have the hub
6 REPLIES 6
Dannybear
Master
Master
If you don’t have a arlo hub/base no recordings would get to the cloud library if you’re local router were to loose internet.
Consider using a arlo go 2 camera.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062598/What-are-the-benefits-of-connecting-my-Go-2-Camera-via-mobile-or-WiFi
robby1239
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the Arlo Pro 4
Dannybear
Master
Master
https://kb.arlo.com/000062512/Arlo-Pro-4-FAQ

When you read arlo documents always look for what they do not say.

If the pro4 camera is connected to your local wifi router (I.e not via a arlo base or hub) then if you’re local router is powered off or the internet is lost then the pro4 is unable to upload recordings to the cloud library or store them on a arlo base or hub with a storage device attached.
Additionally if using the arlo base or hub and it looses power, again there is no where for the recordings to go.

Hence the reference to using the arlo go 2 that directly connects to the cellular network if the camera looses internet from the local wifi.
robby1239
Aspirant
Aspirant
So basically if there’s no wifi the camera won’t pick up any video with or without the hub. Also the I will receive no notifications will be sent to the app and no footage can be seen on the app
Dannybear
Master
Master
The pro4 camera can connect to the local wifi router or to an arlo Base/hub at setup.

The base station creates its own closed wifi for camera communications but
both communication methods require internet access to store the library recordings to the cloud and to forward push notifications to the mobile or send emails. The base station (if optioned and implemented) can store the recordings during an internet outage but only if the camera is not externally powered.
The most important is that you need internet to access the system using the app.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@robby1239 wrote:
So basically if there’s no wifi the camera won’t pick up any video with or without the hub. Also the I will receive no notifications will be sent to the app and no footage can be seen on the app

FWIW, another option here is to get a UPS for your router (and also connect it to your modem if you have one).  That will keep your wifi up until the UPS battery drains.  Routers typically take less than 10 watts, so even a modest UPS will protect it for quite a long outage.

Of course if your internet service fails, you'd be out of luck.