Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Ruffnready
Apprentice
Apprentice

Must admit I was shocked the new app took away Mute Notifications for unlimited time.  Then I read the previous discussions about that issue going back to 2019.  That's a real red flag to me....If the product manager doesn't realize how big a deal that is, someone is tone deaf.   We have 12 cameras which include active and passive monitoring (i.e passive vehicles driving by in case an issue arises and we need to check history of what cars were in vicinity).  The idea that this was eliminated is unconscionable....I now understand where I read reviews of what a step back the app upgrade was....huge issue...we hate it and more and more are regretting our choice to stay with Arlo.   This choice was somewhat forced with EOL of Arlo 2 cameras and more..We never thought something so basic would be eliminated and the fact y'all have had complaints since at least 2019 and not addressed it speaks volumes about your customer service...  and by the way turning off notifications on the IOS device for Arlo secure does nothing...we get bombarded with it off on the IOS...We hate this...Please address...I can't imagine the logic to eliminate that feature

10 REPLIES 10
Ruffnready
Apprentice
Apprentice

since we had to upgrade due to EOL of our older system, our discoveries are very disappointing and the fitness of use of the upgrade is shaky at best.   The app took away muting for notifications of an unlimited time, activity zones don't seem to work, even the filtering of recordings is gone so we can't just look at recordings of a particular camera but instead have to go through every recording of 12 cameras.  What was the product manager of the app thinking?  We would like to use the old app as I can't see a single thing that the new app gives us we need but tons the old app had that have been eliminated.  Just trusted Arlo based on past use going back to the original introduction.  It's like chaos theory, better cameras and great field of view, but that generates more notifications and recordings that must be gone through one by one.  And notifications showing up on CarPlay on the car while driving and most are extraneous.  Who is driving product development for the app...I'd like a conversation...people have complained going back to 2019...unfortunately, I didn't check the community or never would have upgrade to Arlo Secure

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ruffnready wrote:

Must admit I was shocked the new app took away Mute Notifications for unlimited time.  

I'm puzzled here, as the Mute Notifications control in the old "library" interface only offered muting them for 30 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hours, and 24 hours.  There's never been a control to mute all notifications indefinitely.

Have you edited the camera rules for the ones you use for "passive monitoring" to turn off notifications on those cameras?

Ruffnready
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for response

The old legacy app ( the one we used up until last week) definitely offered mute notifications indefinitely.  Used it regularly.    Also while  going through the threads back to 2019, you see people asking why it went away

Yes I have been working on rules for 12 cameras that is a far more tedious process than one click   Trying to find a workable option for passive.
I do have one street camera I have tried to turn off notifications, use activity zones and delete email.  On that camera as of this morning I think will work.  

A separate issue is the wider field of vision on pro v5 cameras. Several now pick up a sliver of the road and every car triggers alert.  Tribute to motion detection  but activity zones don’t seem to work even though I have them to block out the tiny sliver of road.  Can provide examples in another matter, Also see big differences in app
And web versions. 

The app does allow filters like the old app when looking through the library now called feed and that’s good.  The web version however has a bug. On the web, you have a totally different look to filtering ,   You do get a calendar, and do get tags for devices but the tags have yet to show all the cameras.  8 is the max it has shown.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ruffnready wrote:

Yes I have been working on rules for 12 cameras that is a far more tedious process than one click   Trying to find a workable option for passive.

Do you have "Library" as an choice in the main app screen?  Or do you have "Dashboard" and "Feed"

Also, I am thinking that you never want notifications on the passive cameras - is that correct?  If that is the case, you should be able to disable notifications for those cameras by simply removing the notification checkbox for those cameras in all the modes you have set up.  Granted, that can be tedious, but once it is done, you won't receive any notifications for any of those cameras.

@Ruffnready wrote:

Also while  going through the threads back to 2019, you see people asking why it went away

Are you saying that you continued to use the 2019 app version until last week???

FWIW, I do see value in being able to mute notifications indefinitetly.  I'm tagging the two mods ( @JamesC and @ShayneS ) to call their attention to your posts so they can forward the feedback.

Ruffnready
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes I used legacy app up until the EOL upgrade.   Library before, now dashboard and feeds as of this week.  So probably older than 2019.  I read the thread and saw responses lamenting its elimination.  

I also would like to send you some examples of motion detection that are impressive but not what I need on some cameras.  The wider angle means more cameras are susceptible to being triggered where earlier models did not.  I like the higher res and wider angle. However if there is a gap for example in trees that expose only a small sliver of the road, the vehicle triggers it.  Amazing the camera triggers it but I want an activity zone that excludes the sliver so I don’t get the notifications 

Again thanks for your interest.   I was an earlier adopter of the Arlo cameras so my gear before last week was very old but did the job

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 14, 2023, at 9:13 AM, Arlo Community <community@no-reply.arlo.com> wrote:

Ruffnready_0-1686753459751.png

Hi Ruffnready,

StephenB (Guru) posted a new reply in Arlo on 2023-06-14 09:13 AM:

Re: tone deaf on new app?

@Ruffnready wrote:

Do you have "Library" as an choice in the main app screen?  Or do you have "Dashboard" and "Feed"

Also, I am thinking that you never want notifications on the passive cameras - is that correct?  If that is the case, you should be able to disable notifications for those cameras by simply removing the notification checkbox for those cameras in all the modes you have set up.  Granted, that can be tedious, but once it is done, you won't receive any notifications for any of those cameras.

@Ruffnready wrote:

Also while  going through the threads back to 2019, you see people asking why it went away

Are you saying that you continued to use the 2019 app version until last week???

FWIW, I do see value in being able to mute notifications indefinitetly.  I'm tagging the two mods (  @JamesC and  @ShayneS ) to call their attention to your posts so they can forward the feedback.

Ruffnready
Apprentice
Apprentice

Using the mobile app on ipad, there appears to be an annoying bug when you view the feed in landscape mode.   Unlike the portrait mode, there is no ‘x’ to exit.   So you either trash the feed item or rotate back to portrait mode to get the ‘x’.   This is true whether you expand image or not… be happy to send screen shot if you would like

Ruffnready
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ruffnready_0-1686846808204.png

From my wife just now to give some context.  I showed her how to mute them going to her for today.  But far more notifications than before if you remember we are a long time user and until recently we’re using the legacy app.   

better motion detection in newest cameras plus wider angle plus ineffective activity zones plus new app plus notifications to your phone going to car play and more places creates a new paradigm that y’all need to consider.  Many thanks for listening 

faisalraju
Tutor
Tutor

One of the worst-ever updates from Arlo, and they are letting us go back to the legacy APP.  I have reported 10 Bugs to Arlo Support; we can not be all beta testers for Arlo. New upgrades Even with Ultra-2 cameras are problematic and Arlo is doing nothing about it. It seems they are just worried about to earn money on new functions like home security etc. But if they will for sure lose camera customers. I have seen Arlo users are switching to other camera system just because of this new useless upgrade. 

tom_baker1993
Aspirant
Aspirant

just updated, 

impressed by the layout, however the geofencing the ability to call scheduling has screwed up the setup at home and setting a new version to solve this is will not work.

previously shared cameras from other properties (grant access)  have been lost also so ill have to figure that out and re grant access i assume. 

arlo baby camera before did not trigger notification for motion and i could independantly choose to arm or disam each camera and its arming phases so to speak, now i cant do that either. 

i get you need to upgrade but why take away USEFUL features in favour of smart home arming features that are not fully applied with enough customisation as the previous version ? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@tom_baker1993 wrote:

previously shared cameras from other properties (grant access)  have been lost also so ill have to figure that out and re grant access i assume. 

Actually you'll need to migrate those accounts to "Feed" as well.