Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

setting up new system

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
vstreet
Follower
Follower

when i try and set up the system using my phone it is telling me that we cannot detect your base station, why. 

8 REPLIES 8
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Good afternoon vstreet,

Check out this article and let me know if you are still unable to get the serial number to automatically populate.

Base Station serial number not showing

Just to highlight the most common issue is that you may not be on the same network as the base station.

I look forward to your next update.

Thank you,

Christine

Arlo Team

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
paulg
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm trying to set-up a new system, and am having some trouble with incomplete documentation.

I'd like to install the camera system in a room with one Ethernet port and WiFi access.  The instructions on the web site say "make sure you are connected to the same LAN as the base station" and also, "make sure your [computer] is connected to the same WiFi network as the base station".  This says to me I can configure the system with either a hard-wired Ethernet connects, or WiFi, but that I must connect both devices (base station AND laptop) to the same network.

1) LAN Option: 

Since I only have one Ethernet port in the room, I can't connect both the camera base station and my laptop to the same LAN, unless I bring in a router.  If I did bring in a router, is it enough just to connect the base station and laptop to Ethernet ports on the router, or do I need to tell them about each other in some way?

2) WiFi Option:

There are no instructions on how to connect the base station to one of the WiFi networks.  How do I use WiFi to configure the system?

Thanks.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1) LAN Option: 

Since I only have one Ethernet port in the room, I can't connect both the camera base station and my laptop to the same LAN, unless I bring in a router.  If I did bring in a router, is it enough just to connect the base station and laptop to Ethernet ports on the router, or do I need to tell them about each other in some way?

The Arlo base must be connected to the router via the ethernet cable... you can use a router/switch to add ports or if the router is wifi the base can be connected via cable and the computer via wifi... as long as their on the same system. Tho you can view remotely from another system, you can't do the setup remotely.

If you bring in a normal switch/router, all the output ports run in common so no info needed

2) WiFi Option:

There are no instructions on how to connect the base station to one of the WiFi networks.  How do I use WiFi to configure the system?

You don't configure the Arlo base to your wifi...when connected via ethernet cable( for internet access ) the Arlo base sets up it's own wifi system ( for the cameras to connect to ).

Arlo base doesn't connect to the local wifi as its a stand alone system

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
dxfitt
Initiate
Initiate

can i have step by step instructions for installation on windows 8.1 computer please? Is it absolutely mandatory to use a lan cable to install working arlo on computer?

dxfitt
Initiate
Initiate

we can't get android app for phone to load and function either - see above. we downloaded the app but that's as far as we got.... 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

dxfitt wrote:

can i have step by step instructions for installation on windows 8.1 computer please? Is it absolutely mandatory to use a lan cable to install working arlo on computer?

1)Take Arlo base out of box, read quick setup directions included

2) take eithernet cable plug into Arlo base and plug other end into wifi/router port

3) plug ac adapter into Arlo base and other end to wall outlet

4) turn on arlo base by button on back

5) wait two-three mins till power and internet leds on front go green

6) on PC, go to  https:// arlo.netgear.com   and folllow rest of directions

6a) or on android, use app and follow direction . Android MUST be on same wifi system that the eithernet cable is plugged into

Morse is faster than texting!
jpwrono
Aspirant
Aspirant

When setting up system for my computer using window 10, it doesn't get past the connection screen.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

We could use more info.  What browser? Are there any green lights on the base station? Does the router show that the base station has an IP address?  Any details help.