Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
dbahd56
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have five Arlo Cameras installed.  Unfortunately, I have a relative that has been able to access my home, bypassing

the cameras.  I had my cameras in the disarmed mode and just minutes ago when I went to the entry door, the camera

inside the door indicated it was on.  This relative bought a camera and I am not sure how he is using it, but he is getting

in and his motive is not good.   He is a nasty person and I am afraid.  I need some help in determining how it is possible

for him to bypass the cameras.  Unfortunately, I have no security with the cameras.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dbahd56
Aspirant
Aspirant
30 REPLIES 30
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Can you give more information about what's happening?
Your camera records even in disarmed mode? Are the videos showing up in your library?
A relative is breaking into your house? Have you considered changing the locks?
Them bypassing the cameras, are there recordings at all? Is your motion sensitivity set correctly? Recording mode as well?

silanah
Apprentice
Apprentice

From your description this is a potentially serious issue for you.

i suggest you immediately:

a) Log in to your Arlo account and change your password.

b) Check the serial numbers on your purchased cameras against the serial numbers on the cameras physically present in your premises. If your relative has switched out a camera thinking you wouldn't notice as they 'all look alike', it will have a serial number not listed in your account via app/web interface. If that is the case, I'd personally call the police.

c) Go to  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx  and scroll down and TELEPHONE Arlo/Netgear if you find cameras on your premises with serial numbers not belonging to your account.  As they will be associated with another account, Netgear may be able to release the account information for those spy cameras to the police.

d) Unrelated to the cameras, I'd also personally have all my locks rekeyed.  I'd also consider getting a court order prohibiting that person from approaching you or your premises.

Be safe.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

isn't it kind of careless for you to post the serial number of one of your cams for the whole world to see?

silanah
Apprentice
Apprentice

manfredz wrote:

isn't it kind of careless for you to post the serial number of one of your cams for the whole world to see?

You're right, it's probably not the best thing for this person to do but wouldn't anyone else still need physical access to the camera to sync it to a different base or sync to a wifi router is it's a Q/Q+ ? 

In this person's scenario perhaps that is a camera that is not on their account that has been switched with one of their own... or it has been removed from their own account and now seems to be working for another person.

I could be wrong but I don't think you can add or view a camera just using serial number - otherwise there would be trolls in retail stores taking snaps of boxes so they could see what people were doing. Scary thought.

Do YOU know of a way the serial number could be misused?

manfredz
Hero
Hero

on the surface, no I don't know of a way to misuse a serial number, but the possibility is there I'm sure.  For the issue, there is no need to post the serial number, so just thought I'd mention this for posters in general. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The mac address is prob more important... TMK as mentioned can't do anything with the serial number

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You may be also considering the basics...like calling a locksmith and changing the locks on your home

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

How close to you does the person live?

dbahd56
Aspirant
Aspirant

He is about seven miles from myp home.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

This doesn't stack up at all

dbahd56
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wish it were not true, but it is.  I can alarm my cameras and leave the premises.  Come home and

their is obvious evidence that I have had intruders.  I have gotten evidence on Voice Activated Recorders.

If you have any answers, I would be most happy to know.

BD.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

As someone already suggested changing your locks would be the logical solution.  Any reason why you haven't done so?

dbahd56
Aspirant
Aspirant

In response to the suggest about changing the locks, I have done that three times and that has not worked

either.  This is why I am so frustrated, because nothing that I have done has worked to keep  this guy out.

BD

steve_t
Master Master
Master

How is he getting in? Have you called the cops? Issue him with a trespass notice / restraining order?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Lack of recordings could be for various reasons - cameras not armed, positioning not capturing the movement, etc. Have you tested the system yourself to verify that things work?  What mode are you using in the Mode tab?  Are you using the schedule? What sensitivity setting is used in your modes?

It's hard to discern the issue over the Internet without lots of details.

dbahd56
Aspirant
Aspirant

I apprecicate your response.  The cameras are all positioned correctly.  The only modes I use are arm or disarm..  I cannot answer you on the sensitivity settings in the modes.  This past week, when I have tried to sign in to my Arlo account, I have received messages telling me

"access denied " and one that said "another user logged on"  One morning I could not get a reading on the camera in my basement.  Can't

remember the exact wording but it was unable to read the device. With all that said, I started thinking to when I first got the cameras.  I bought

five.  I wanted the cameras due to my evil relatives getting into my home.  It was not long after, that I discovered a Net Gear Box for a Add-On

HD Security Camera. I thought maybe I had forgotten to recycle a box, but it has the mounting device, withe the screws etc.  The serial number is the same as one I have for the front door.  Can cameras have the same serial number?  Something is not right and I don't know what the

solution is.  I know it is not changing the password.  I have already done that several times.  

manfredz
Hero
Hero

your story is sounding stranger with each new revelation

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Open a ticket with support. They'll get down to the bottom of this

CGRaven
Aspirant
Aspirant
If someone familiar with Arlo really was messing with you, couldn't they just disconnect your cable at POE and render Arlo useless?
dbahd56
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for all your suggestions, however, my problem is not resolved.  I will double check the cameras again to be sure that the

serial numbers are the same as on my account.  This morning when I went to sign in to disarm, there was a message access denied,

so obviously someone had tried to get in to my account.  I have Medeco locks, which according to my alarm company, cannot be

picked.  There is a video on line that tells you how to do it.  I have rekeyed these locks three times.  It has not changed anything.

they are able to bypass my alarm system too.  There is no one that is more frustrated and frightened with my current situation.

Ilong for a resolution, but I don't know what the answer is.  Obviously this criminal is pretty smart.

BD

nefur
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the identical problem. Camera is recording from an out of range location within the transmission base range. Cameras are disabled when I leave and enabled after my return. Consistent premises entering. Netgear support request ALL camera serial numbers to 'chase this down' and has been unable to provide any answers.  Clear system tampering

manfredz
Hero
Hero

just my opinion as another user.

While it's theoretically possible to hack anything computer related, the probability that the neighbour/relative breaking into your house is sophisticated enough to do so is very unlikely.

Similarly anyone talented enough to hack into a cam system will probably use his talent to hack bigger and better things than your home cam.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

The other thing that crossed my mind for the OP is despite changing their password multiple times, it still seems to be happening, perhaps they forgot they had used the GRANT ACCESS facility on their account ???

dbahd56
Aspirant
Aspirant

Was not aware of the GRANT ACCESS facility on my account.  I need to talk to Net Gear again today, so

I will address that.  Thanks for the tip.  I am still learning these cameras.