Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

"format unrecognized" error

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
paulg
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I download a video file its in a format unrecognized by my players. I have a Win 8.1 machine, with Win Media Play and VLC Media Player installed. Both have always worked for mp3/4 files, but not with the files downloaded from Arlo. The error I get is something like "unrecognized format". This only happens with videos downloaded from Arlo.   Does anyone know how to fix this?

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are the file extenions noted as .MP4? If you right-click on the file and choose Properties and then the Details tab, does it show with a certain resolution and frame rate?  If not, the download sounds goobered. If it does, try uninstalling VLC and reinstall.  I have a fresh, basic load of VLC on Win10 that works with no problem.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Tested on my Windows 8.1 with WMP.. no VLC installed.. It plays fine.. Try Updating.. You might have configuration or missing/corrupted codec-plugin issue.. Uninstall/Re-install/Update might fix it or download the specific missing/corrupted file .dll for WMP... 

paulg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank folks.  Videos of other sources play correctly for me, and its unlikely both players have a corrupted codec.  'any idea what the two players (WMP and VLC) might share in common?  The most likely problem is some corrupted common resource.  Thoughts?

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

paulg wrote:

Thank folks.  Videos of other sources play correctly for me, and its unlikely both players have a corrupted codec.  'any idea what the two players (WMP and VLC) might share in common?  The most likely problem is some corrupted common resource.  Thoughts?

Yes, unlikely both players have a corrupted codec.. But all of a suddent both did not work.. so definitely there's a bug somewhere in your computer that made that happen.. It needs attention and fix.. else, it's gonna' get worse later on..