Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

"Security" camera easily defeated

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Deauth
Follower
Follower

The Arlo Pro "security" camera is easily defeated by disconnecting the internet, or by sending a deauthorization (deauth) packet to the router to drop the Arlo off the network.  For security, this makes these cameras so easily defeated that they're worthless.  I called Arlo tech support and they confirmed that the camera will not work, or record, or store video without an internet connection -- even if you have USB storage.  So all someone has to do is disconnect your internet connection, or perhaps even easier, download a program from the internet to send deauth packets to the router to keep the Arlo offline until you no longer need it offline.  Arlo tech support has confirmed this.  Arlo should have marketed these as baby monitors, not security cameras.  Tech support had no solution.  Does anyone else have a solution or another camera they use that is actually secure?  

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

There is one Arlo camera that doesn't depend on your home internet service - the Arlo Go runs over the cellular network.

The others do require an internet connection (as you say).

@Deauth wrote:

The Arlo Pro "security" camera is easily defeated by disconnecting the internet, 

Well, in my case I have a camera covering the spot where my internet cable enters the house.  So I would capture video from anyone who cut or disconnected the wire there.  I'm not worried someone climbing up utility pole on the street.

@Deauth wrote:

by sending a deauthorization (deauth) packet to the router to drop the Arlo off the network.  

Is this hypothetical? Or have you done this with an Arlo Pro?

Generally deauth attacks are about forcibly disconnecting from WiFi.  Arlo Pros aren't running over your router's wifi, instead they are running over a closed wifi network.  Arlo has made some adjustments to the normal 802.11 procedures - mostly aimed at reducing power use I guess, but they haven't communicated the details. 

I don't know how they handle an unencrypted deauthentication frame received by the camera.  But they potentially could protect against that (including just using IEEE 802.11w).  FWIW, I suspect their tech support wouldn't know the details on this.

To your main point - all security systems can be defeated with sufficient effort. Even with wired cameras, someone could cut the main power.  Once inside, they can steal the recordings.  That won't work with Arlo Go, but there are ways to disrupt cellular data connections. 

Whether Arlo is adequate for your needs depends a lot on what's at stake for you, and how much effort you think an attacker is willing to expend to defeat it.  I'm sure there are many cases where it won't be enough (I doubt many banks would use it).

Personally I've never had a break-in, so I don't know first-hand how useful Arlo would be if that were to happen.  It is useful in keeping an eye on what's happening on my property - for instance package deliveries, when the landscapers showed up, etc. 

TheWatcher24
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have Reolink Argus 2 cameras , they have a mini sd card slot, up to 64 GB, and 7 day cloud storage , as well as no base station needed, they are stand alone, in cases of power outage or loss of wifi they will record to the sd card.
if having video proof is most important to you, wired 24/7 recording cameras are the most reliable for catching proof because they do not rely on sketchy motion detection , especially the arlos .
I have long ago stopped relying on my arlo cameras for any serious surveillance. Their motion sensors are frustratingly slow and unreliable , and they go off line randomly for no reason, requiring climbing a ladder , taking the batteries out , and resetting them manually to the base station.